Velocity to Krome modification?

R

Rigo

I own a velocity and spirit airbrushes. I have read some reviews where the author says that the Krome AB is a tuned version of the Velocity AB. If that is the case, can I modify my two renegades to perform as well as the Krome? Because I don't see the point to spend more money on buying a Krome AB when I only need to buy the additional parts to convert the my ABs I already have to Krome performance.

In the case that this modification can not happen, then besides the Krome which other airbrushes can do good to great detail and can still be a all around airbrush?
My goal is to do automotive art. I am new to this medium, I know there is a learning curve. I want to make the investment on a good airbrush that is going to give me good results more often than frustrations. So far I can not get my Renegade ABs to do fine line. I have tried reducing the paint, use low PSI and nothing. I either get spidering, clogging or broken lines. I don't get those fine lines in a consistent basis.

I have Daniel Powers DVDs and I have improve so much my hand to eye coordination, and I know I have a decent control over the airbrush.

Equipment used
Velocity AB with the .21mm set up,
Golden Airbrush colors, Shading grey and Carbon black, airbrush extender and water.

Thanks so much for any advice on any of the questions. Rigo.

I'm sure the Krome is just a chrome version of the Verlocity with a tapered cup. The 0.21 setup is the smallest that Badger makes. Even the Sotar uses that.

Maybe you should try other paint like Createx Illustration colours, Com-art or E'tac.

It is, Josh aka @Seamonkey did this previously, there is a couple of bits that need changing but it's mostly the in the trigger system

Thank you Josh, question, how much the difference is in performance and what parts I need to order. I was thinking of sending the airbrush for a check up to Badger and have them do this modification or upgrade, I already wrote an email regarding this upgrade, I am waiting for a response from Badger.

If you can't pull a fine line, it's likely either your paint or a maintenance issue. I know all of my brushes well enough now, that I can tell when there is a problem immediately. I'd say that you either have a dirty nozzle or a paint/reduction issue.

Edit: I believe as Andre said, they share the same parts. Besides the trigger mechanism, I think they all use the same needle/nozzle.

If you can't pull a fine line, it's likely either your paint or a maintenance issue. I know all of my brushes well enough now, that I can tell when there is a problem immediately. I'd say that you either have a dirty nozzle or a paint/reduction issue.

Edit: I believe as Andre said, they share the same parts. Besides the trigger mechanism, I think they all use the same needle/nozzle.

Thank you for the suggestions, however I believe I am not the only one that has this issue about getting fine lines with the Velocity. In this video if you skip to the 3:36 minute mark you hear the artist said that he had issues with the velocity.

I found this you tube user, "edthekid51", last night when I was trying to see if I can do the modification on the renegades. And he mentions how he was having issues with his velocity. Anyway not that important. Thanks for the help. Now I know I can modify my Velocity and Spirit airbrushes. And Hopefully I can get those fine lines. I just need to be patient.
Thank you so much for the time and comments.

Rigo,
I have a Krome, and I am a noob, I can pull pretty fine lines most of the time, but, every now and then I can't get away from spidering and tip dry, mostly when I'm tired or rushed, but it still happens, there is a magic mix of paint and reducer, not only the mixture on the forum, but hoe you paint also, and the only way to find that is to keep trying, keep experimenting with diff mixes, but don't give up!!

I had a Krome and sold it. It's all personal preference, but I didn't like the head assembly design and the tiny nozzles. It sprayed well and was a smooth brush, just others I prefer.
As I've said in other threads, I can do pretty much the same work with any of the detail brushes I have, each one just behaves slightly different.
I just got my Eclipse CS about a week ago and I'm pretty damn impressed with it. It's listed as a workhorse, but I can get some pretty fine detail out of it.

I had a Krome and sold it. It's all personal preference, but I didn't like the head assembly design and the tiny nozzles. It sprayed well and was a smooth brush, just others I prefer.
As I've said in other threads, I can do pretty much the same work with any of the detail brushes I have, each one just behaves slightly different.
I just got my Eclipse CS about a week ago and I'm pretty damn impressed with it. It's listed as a workhorse, but I can get some pretty fine detail out of it.
I'll be picking up a Iwata my self pretty soon, I like the Badger company and their service policy, but I just expected more from their product, the Iwata is more precise and polished from what I hear, I hope the Iwata is what I need.

Both the Velocity and Krome use the same trigger, needle, nozzle, aircap and regulator. The main difference is the Velocity uses the Badger style internals and the Krome uses the Thayer and Chandler internals (or vice versa). I do tend to like the Krome a bit better, but I can get the same super fine detail from either brush. You might try and soak the nozzle in Auto Air restorer or lacquer thinner and then cleaning it out with a plastic toothpick. 90% of all airbrush problems come from a clogged or dirty nozzle. Also, check the tip of the needle with a magnifying glass or jeweler's loupe as it may have a tiny bend, which will greatly affect detail.

Thanks for the support and comments. I decided not to spent the money and do the upgrades. I have tried wicked and I ended up with much better results.

I think it must be a case if getting your reduction and air pressure just right, have a look in my 'getting better' album, everything has been painted with my only airbrush, the krome. I use etac efx or etac private stock reduced with water when required.

I think it must be a case if getting your reduction and air pressure just right, have a look in my 'getting better' album, everything has been painted with my only airbrush, the krome. I use etac efx or etac private stock reduced with water when required.
Great body of work. The animals are my favorite, I like the detail and the definition of the fur and feathers. I assume that E'tac is reworkable, and if it is then I should give it a try. Right now I only have wicked, golden and some com art, I have ordered some created illustration. I find out that the Com-art is reworkable, I will give a try.

Thank you.

There are so many variables in this that affect our performance, all that have been listed here, but one if my main probs lately has been exhaustion, coming home after work and I mean 7 days a week for a month, I have felt like I have lost anything I have learned, well after a couple weekends off and catching up on my sleep I seem to be able to paint better than I remember, it's strange and I wonder has anyone else experienced this, but I'm painting along and it feels totally different than a few days ago, I actually have control that I didn't know Ihad!!!:thumbsdown: Anyway, it's cool to finally feel like Ihave accomplished something, hope you do we'll with your setup!!

There are so many variables in this that affect our performance, all that have been listed here, but one if my main probs lately has been exhaustion, coming home after work and I mean 7 days a week for a month, I have felt like I have lost anything I have learned, well after a couple weekends off and catching up on my sleep I seem to be able to paint better than I remember, it's strange and I wonder has anyone else experienced this, but I'm painting along and it feels totally different than a few days ago, I actually have control that I didn't know Ihad!!!:thumbsdown: Anyway, it's cool to finally feel like Ihave accomplished something, hope you do we'll with your setup!!
I know the feeling. That used to happen to me when I was going to my community college to take some art classes and work at the same time. Was tired all the time, however when school was over and I got the chance to really take my time to apply what I have learned in school, I saw big improvements in my art.
Although airbrushing is just another medium, it really can become a pain in the butt. Paint reduction, what paint you are using, what are you using to reduce the paint, psi. needle size, even the weather has an influence on airbrushing. It can become so overwhelming if you don't know what is happening.
Anyway. On the plus side, airbrushing I see it as a universal medium and very versatile. Think about it. Anyone can paint on any surface. There are T-shirt artist, model builders, illistration, portraits, automotive, photo retoucher back in the day, cake decorating,..
In this medium we get artist from 14yrs to 60yrs, more or less. How cool is that?

I guess that's why it appeals to me so much, I started airbrushing just to paint statues I've been building but after seeing everything you can do with one, well I want to do it all! Speaking of, I need to go get my before work painting in, have a good day!

Back