vinyl plotters & how to achieve micro detail with low air pressure

P

Peter1985

vinyl plotters & how to achieve micro detail with low air pressure.

hey guys been using stencils lately for everything and i really enjoy using them I'm slowly getting better with my free hand skills but i can not achieve great detail. using my iwata hpcs 3mm and createx wicked color with reducer. my next question is. where to buy a vinyl plotter or stencil printer cutter here in Aus has any one had experience with these and what brand should i be looking at my budget is 200 max. Really wanna be able to do micro detail when I'm airbrushing so my highlights pop but i can not seem to get the hang of it. any advice would be great. I've also purchased a harder steenbok ultra with a 2mm needle will this be a better option or i do need to change to specific paint. still learning and having fun.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-vinyl+cutter/k0..

Ebays likely full of em aswell. Used a lot these days in scrap booking and can be found in that area of industry and hobbyists but really depends what you want, the abilty and software it may run and have and how expensive rolls may be etc etc..200 may not give you much in options but may get you a second hand machine worth playing with and making some money from to upgrade into bigger machines or different needs..you can also in the meantime make your own stencils easy enough with little more than some acetate and some free time to cut your designs out..

On detail- Its generally little to do with the pressure or gun you use, realistically there is no real difference between a o.1 mm line and a 0.2 mm line, well there is.. :) 0.1 mm difference to be exact but most wouldn't see that difference nor be able to pull a 0.2 line with a 0.2 needle..It really comes down to a matter of experience and some can pull finer detail at 40 PSI with a 0.35 needle, more so than others with a 0.15 spraying at 10 psi.. To me a detail line is all about speed and distance control and thats something we all get better at every day we spray :)..detail guns do help but in most cases it really helps to have the initial ability to pull fine detail with standard needle guns to be able to achieve the same with fine detail guns..Also depends on the size you desire to paint at of course...Sometimes rather than focusing n detail on an A4 piece, simply enlarging the piece initially and then gradually repainting that piece smaller and smaller helps you learn how to adjust the speed, pressure and paint consistency for each desired size..best of luck..

In regard to getting a plotter from e-bay. A lot of the cheaper plotters only work with software specificly written for that plotter, more often than not that software can only preform limmited tasks and requiers an upgrade to unlock the oter options (the upgrade in general being more expensive than the plotter itself). So be sure that if it needs specific software that it is included and if applicable fully upgraded. Best would be a plotter that can be used with "normal" vector software like coreldraw , illustrator etc.

Rebelair covered most of the detail stuff, low pressure, speed (the faster yu move the thinner the line) and reduction are realy important but trigger control is the key I think. For a thin line you need to be able to just give a minute amount of paint (here reduction and pressure come into play as the paint needs to flow smoothly for this) if you got that control you can also do thin lines at a slow speed or less reduction/pressure.

A trick to get a feel for just how little the trigger needs to be moved it to use a needle limmiter and set that to a thin line, you'll find that the trigger just needs to me moved a tiny fraction (I'd advice againts using a limmiter otherwise as you won't learn control with that on)

Back