Wall primer/base for some humidity.

m3ntalo

Mac-Valve Maestro!
I will participate in an art project and I have to airbrush something on a wall. So far, so good, but it's in an old production building that will be destroyed later. That's why the walls are not really dry. You guys got any idea how I should prepare the brick wall there to get a non suction surface? Maybe some graffiti experienced people around here? I was thinking at a color for a house Fassade or a special graffiti primer, if there is any. Maybe even a clear coat before I start to have a barrier between it.

It doesn't has to last for an eternity but I don't want to get my details etc sucker in the wall.

Maybe you got some ideas directly, I will check out some shops later to ask for advice there too.

m3ntalo.

I will participate in an art project and I have to airbrush something on a wall. So far, so good, but it's in an old production building that will be destroyed later. That's why the walls are not really dry. You guys got any idea how I should prepare the brick wall there to get a non suction surface? Maybe some graffiti experienced people around here? I was thinking at a color for a house Fassade or a special graffiti primer, if there is any. Maybe even a clear coat before I start to have a barrier between it.

It doesn't has to last for an eternity but I don't want to get my details etc sucker in the wall.

Maybe you got some ideas directly, I will check out some shops later to ask for advice there too.

m3ntalo.

You cane use an outdoor quality latex made for the purpose, the best thing to do is to go to a recognised professional paint dealer (verf groothandel), not a DIY shop, and tell what your requirement are, they will point you to the right covering and or sealer, if there is any evidence of mould (schimmel) you will have to clean this before you start, you'll also find the correct cleaner at the same dealers, I should warn you that these items are generally expensive.

Note that outside quality latex is usually available in a grit and smooth version, I would assume you'll be looking at smooth, sikkens and sigma both make anti-schimmel/vocht primers and finishes.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as graffiti primer since in many places graffiti is classed as vandalism and punishable by law, if the job you're doing does happen to be outdoors I would first contact the local council to make sure it's allowed, some councils frown upon it while some actually commission it.

Thank you for the quick answer.
It is within a building, but no heating anymore that's why it's not so dry. But I didn't see any mould. Also everything is legal there.
I'll make my round through different shops to get different oppinions. Sadly nowadays to find in shops, even the ones that sell professional stuff, professional advice is quite hard.

Thank you

Thank you for the quick answer.
It is within a building, but no heating anymore that's why it's not so dry. But I didn't see any mould. Also everything is legal there.
I'll make my round through different shops to get different oppinions. Sadly nowadays to find in shops, even the ones that sell professional stuff, professional advice is quite hard.

Thank you

Ordinary shops don't sell professional stuff, nor do they have a clue what they are on about, they merely sell all the crap that us professionals want nothing to do with, that's why I said dealers;)

Painting and decorating is my full time job, been doing it day in and day out for over forty years, my colleague and I rely on our customers having us back so we use only the best (professional) materials which we can only find at main dealers, although if they have "Home Deco" stores in Belgium as they do here, they are all franchised and run by established painting companies (Schildersbedrijven) so you will get sound advice from them for sure.

Having said all that, since the work is indoors and there is no evidence of mould you would get away with outside quality latex on its own as a basement if there are Pontmeyer building supply stores in Belgium, they have their own brand which retails at around €54/10 litre, if not the next cheapest is Tri-Metal, not sure on the price of that one.

Back