Wanna share your receipe for home made cleaner?

huskystafford

Needle chucking Ninja
Staff member
Admin
Mod
I use Medea cleaner. Soon to be empty. I hate trowing money out of the window, cause I need to buy bunch of stuff and if I can save some money it is very welcomed.
I do understand no one can't recommend home made cleaner on forum, just to be safe people won't destroy their airbrushes or make some weird chemicals.

So basically, can you share your home made cleaner and your experience with it? I am trying to find reliable way to save some money, so I can buy other equipment.

I do have another question. What you do with the paint and stuff, which you shoot in cleaning pot?

Thanks for your ideas.

Yes it depends on what you're running through your airbrush. I have a small bottle of "airbrush cleaner" that works very well for cleaning stubborn spots, but mostly I just use water. Its cheap and that blast coming out of the faucet will flush out a lot of problems!

I set up up disposable pots and just toss em in the trash.
Most of the time I clean with water.
Sometimes ill put the whole head assembly in a cup of acetone to soak.
Deep cleaning I take out the rubber bits and just use acetone on the rest.
If I don't have gallons of it around, which i often do then I just buy it as 100% acetone nail polish remover from the dollar store. The standard and non-acetone removers seem to work well also, I 'm on the fence whether I like them better.
Acetone kind of turns the dry paint back wet but can leave a sticky film of binder you have to re clean, where the other turns it into little tiny chunks that come right off/out.

Windex (ammonia free) used to have, and may still actually have the exact same solvent as in wicked and some other paints (I cant tell for sure because it goes by many names, sometimes they even split the ingredient up on the list knowing that in combination it will make that solvent) so I think with fresher paint it's pretty darn good too.

FORUM DISCLAIMER: 'Home brews' or suggestions of 'tweaking' a commercial product can be hazardous to your equipment, your health or the health of those around you. Persons using the information contained on this forum do so voluntarily and at their own risk and should ensure appropriate precautions are taken by using the recommended Person Protective Equipment and ventilation

Use mostly water,
For strip down clean I find isopropyl alcohol eats paint! I always run water through after using any cleaner.
I have to say I love the media cleaner - it’s like it has an oil in it too!

You should be proud of us @JackEb , Nobody even put up a "recipe". Just ready to use solvents and cleaners. Zero Alchemy involved
That seems like a first LOL
true, maybe i picked name of topic wrong. Recipe you can find on youtube :p My intention wasn't to become chemistry guy, just to see if you guys have any cheaper option which would be nice. For example: windex is not available in my country, shipment is to expensive, but I can get window cleaning solution without ammonia.
I was thinking about ordering Medea Airbrush Cleaner 32oz for Price: £15.98 +10 pounds delivery... but... was thinking if I can find cheaper solution :p

edit: I can get locally createx cleaner and createx restorer.

Sounds like that is the isopropyl alcohol macd was talking about
I edited my post, but you were to fast :) Yea, you can get bunch of stuff. Alcohol up to 70%, etanol and so on. The price difference is huge. I was thinking in terms: if it's good for wounds, it can't destroy airbrush -.-

Sounds like that is the isopropyl alcohol macd was talking about
Reading the ingredients it most hydrogen peroxide.

You should be proud of us @JackEb , Nobody even put up a "recipe". Just ready to use solvents and cleaners. Zero Alchemy involved
That seems like a first LOL
Regardless if you utilize Chemistry, alchemy or any product not intended for use in an airbrush you need to be extra cautious when products are atomised rather than just sprayed via a pump bottle.

Reading the ingredients it most hydrogen peroxide.

Regardless if you utilize Chemistry, alchemy or any product not intended for use in an airbrush you need to be extra cautious when products are atomised rather than just sprayed via a pump bottle.
is hydrogen peroxide bad ? -.-

Just so we clear this one. I am not stupid and I will not shoot something to save few bucks. :) I was just wondering if there is healty cheap solution, so I can save some money and spend it rather on colors instead of BRAND cleaner.

can we rename thread to alternative cleaning? or something similar... I just remembered, some times some topics can be "sensitive" by nature.

true, maybe i picked name of topic wrong. Recipe you can find on youtube :p My intention wasn't to become chemistry guy, just to see if you guys have any cheaper option which would be nice. For example: windex is not available in my country, shipment is to expensive, but I can get window cleaning solution without ammonia.
I was thinking about ordering Medea Airbrush Cleaner 32oz for Price: £15.98 +10 pounds delivery... but... was thinking if I can find cheaper solution :p

edit: I can get locally createx cleaner and createx restorer.

You need cleaner “with” ammonia, without it, it’s pointless as the ammonia is what breaks the paint down

Back