want a micron but

S

st.bede

Of course I would like to purchase a micron, however I am having a bit of difficulty coming up with the cash. So I was thinking why not a hi-line. They seem really cool.

I am right now using an eclipse hp-bcs with a .5 needle. I can get good detail but I end up being so close to the surface, that it is easy for me to hit the pape. Also, back when I purchased the eclipse, I wanted to be able to change colors fast (and that was the whole idea of the bottom feed) but now I realize until I buy about a zillion expensive little bottles, that is not so true.

I want to be able to flip through colors fast (as if I am using my art markers and/or color pencils). (I like to build up all the parts of the painting at once, the ability to balance color and values on the fly).

Right now I am basically working on paper.

So I am always so attracted to the notion of a small cup. As I look at the hi-line I see that there is a HP-AH with a 1/32 oz cup (I like the idea of using only a few drops or even just one at a time) and HP-BH with a 1/16 oz cup.

So a couple questions:

Will the hi-line be a step up in control and quality compared to my eclipse?

Will the AH just be too problematic because I will be running out of paint so quickly (I typically use A3 and A4 sized paper)?

Will I still just feel like I should by a micron?

How representative is this usage guide by Iwata: http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/iwata-airbrushes/hi-line/hp-bh/hp-bh-airbrush-usage/

Well I have both, but I spoil me. I love the HP-CH, mine has the .2 in it, I also have a HP-C+ with the .3. Told ya I was spoiled. Also have my CM-B. The C+ and CH both spray awesome. Nothing wrong with just the CH or C+ as is, then get the .2 conversion down the road. You wont regret it.

Buy something in between. Something like, say... An Olympos SP-C! :stung:

There just happen to en to be one for sale in the equipment forum....
And a HP-100B as well. :D

hey st.bede,

I've got both - i've got a micron and the hpc with 0.2mm conversion.
Something i learnt recently from one of the guys at airbrushes.com is how airbrushes spray such fine detail. While small tips and high detail airbrushes show a positive correlation, it isn't the major contributing factor. The main factor is the taper of the needle and tip combination. They explained to me that you can taper a needle too much for a loss in performance, or as is the case of the micron you can reduce the speed of flow. my 0.23 micron is alot slower than my 0.2 HPC (which allows me to create finer detail). The main thing for me though, is that the micron has a softer trigger spring, making it more comfortable to airbrush with. I also find the same of my Badger Krome over the HPC.. HPC's require a tough operator and i'm too soft.
At this point in time in my opinion the micron is in a league of it's own.

The only thing I will comment on is your desire for quick colour changes. Go for a side feed. You can get Aztek cups that are very cheap compared to Iwata ones. You then don't have to empty the cup and waste paint when you do colour changes. But the Hi-line don't have such a model so I would suggest the High Performance. You can get an inline mac valve for the price difference.

The CH is a REALLY nice brush you really cant go wrong with them.. the built in mac valve will spoil you though But in a good way..And maybe a little less worry about what you put in it compared to the microns. I love my cm-c+ but am having a little problem getting used to my new cm-sb The CH feels a lot like the CM-C+ in your hand But It is definitely not a micron

Couldn't agree more ko, I love my CM-B, it's small and light and just comfortable in the hand. Yes it could use the Dru or Zsolt air valve spring, so could my HP-CH and my HP-C+, but those 2 I just clipped the valve spring. The trigger springs are a bit stiff, but adjustable. So far I actually like the micron a bit tight.

Like you when I first thought of buying a micron it was because I was not getting the tight detail I wanted and thought it was due to the needle size. But after buying the micron found that not to be 100% true.
But with the micron to practice with and work with I found it was more me and not the airbrush.
But after lots of practice I now can get the level of detail I was aiming for.

The first hour with the Micron is scary because it feels like you wasted your money. Mixing paint is different, air pressure is different and trigger control is different. But once you figured it out, it is magic.

The first hour with the Micron is scary because it feels like you wasted your money. Mixing paint is different, air pressure is different and trigger control is different. But once you figured it out, it is magic.

I had the same issues with the Infinity .15 setup. After practicing reductions for a while, I love it.

I was also first thinking of the highline but I got a decent tax return and had a wee bit of extra cash so instead of wasting the money on stupid things like food and clothes i decided to take the plunge and go for the micron > try to keep your decision to an iwata air brush. after what iv read here i could say for the money get the high line or the limited edition gun they have i think its an hcp or something like that you an probably get a plain non limited one cheaper but it wont come with that awesome case. so either take your time and save your money or go for the high limne ...I am interested in what mitch was say ing I have to read that again. as for fine detail andre is 100% dead on about the at first the micron wont seem awesome it takes time to get use to. you can go back to last winters posts when i got mine and see at first I was like wtf but now you could not take my micron away from me with out a good fight lol last thing I have to say is i even think about getting another micron but im curiouse about just getting a different iwata and checking it out

Back