Want to start air brushing

Al2484

Young Tutorling
Hi I am sure you have had this question many times before. But I am looking what air brush to get. I want to paint landscapes and portraits. If I could have a few recommendations that would be great and appreciate all the help.

Depends on Your budget, You also need to factor in a compressor if You dont already have one, along with paints etc, have a good credit card handy :)

I have the creos ps 289 and its a good all round brush for around £130

How much would you say for a good enough setup ? Once I get home I will look up that airbrush but sounds good!

Hello,
I am a big fan of Badger airbrushes but my application is very different. I would probably start with a dual action - internal mix -medium size nozzle like a .3mm as a baseline starting point. In most airbrushes you can swap nozzle/tip/needle combo so you can then get into a small fine detail like .2 or a heavy setup like a .5
The paint you will be using is also a factor. Heavier paints like enamels and lacquers, especially metallics, require a medium or heavy setups as they can clog the smaller fine detail setups.
Gravity, siphon or side feed, all have pros and cons. I personally prefer siphon for volume and an unobstructed view of what I am doing, but 10 different people will tell you 10 different opinions. At the end, choose whatever is more comfortable for you.
I am left handed. So for example a Paasche H with an angled cup is uncomfortable for me but may not be for you.
Compressors are also varied. Tank, tankless, silent, etc. It will depend on your needs. I use a big tank-loud and noisy compressor to fill a portable tank I use at night for silence.

Thanks,
Ismael

Hello,
One more thing: Whatever airbrush you choose, look into parts and service availability. Some obscure brands and generic knockoffs can perform well, but there is no support for parts or service if required.

Thanks,
Ismael

Well not knowing where on this planet you live or how large of canvas you plan to work off of. What the other have is is good advice.

When starting any hobby you have to consider all factors of it.
Airbrush
Compressor
Paint
Canvas( be it an actual canvas or metal panels or cars)

But then there is the learning curve, While watching someone who has been airbrushing for decades makes it look fast and easy that is only because they have decades of practice.
Every painting you will ever do is just practice for the next.

But you will get better suggestions on what to buy and where to buy from if only you had an introduction telling us a little about yourself.
Where your living (not the actual address but at least the country ,
Spraygunner.com are get folks to work with as far as sellers in the US, I've always gotten great service and fast shipping from them.
As far as a work Horse of an airbrush the Iwata Eclipse CS or BCS are great. .35 or .5 set up. Hobby Lobby carries nozzle and needle in stock But that is only if you live in the USA.
So as you can tell knowing location would have been a big aid in assisting you.

Thanks for all the advice !! I am in the uk. And I suppose I will learn by mistakes. And yes I will just have to be patient and work away at it! But is a medium Iv always wanted to have a crack at!

Have a read of this frequently-asked-questions then have a look around a few sites to see whats about.

Everything airbrush
Graphicair
Aircraft.net
Graphicsdirect

are uk based

If You decide on something be sure to ask here first as our members might know of something better suited for Your needs, good luck :)

Air-craft.net are a good supplier in the U.K. they have a good range of products, great pricing and delivery. They carry both Iwata and Creos (Mr Hobby) airbrushes as well as compressors, hoses and accessories. Plus you can call the owner and pick his brains as far as a beginner setup goes.

For the airbrush choose 1 of a brand where the parts are also easily available.
The compressor buy one with a tank.
And take into account the noise it makes. The refrigerator compressors are the quietest.
The paint take a paint that is suitable for the nozzle you will be spraying with.
There are plenty of good brands available.

Aw
Air-craft.net are a good supplier in the U.K. they have a good range of products, great pricing and delivery. They carry both Iwata and Creos (Mr Hobby) airbrushes as well as compressors, hoses and accessories. Plus you can call the owner and pick his brains as far as a beginner setup goes.
Awesome thanks for the info!! Loving the feedback

Too many choices hard to pick ! Just seen the harder - Steenbeck evolution cr plus 2 in 1. Looks alright to be honest!!

I’d agree with Exodus, if you can stretch to a compressor with a tank it’s worthwhile. Without a tank, the compressor runs the whole time you’re painting and they often suffer from overheating as a result. Having even a small air tank gives the motor a bit of a rest.

Too many choices hard to pick ! Just seen the harder - Steenbeck evolution cr plus 2 in 1. Looks alright to be honest!!
The H&S brushes are indeed beautiful, and extremely well made. That said, they are not brushes that I generally advise newbies to start with. I have had and sold quite a few Infinity CR +'s, but keep adding them back to my collection simply because it would be wrong not to have one ;). I have never gotten used to the ambiguous feel of both the trigger, and paint initiation associated with their build. Nor have I found a way to adjust it out - and trust me, I have tried. As a side note, I do enjoy using some other brushes produced by them, like the Grafo, and Hansa. The Hansa probably being my favorite because it is the shortest. The trigger system on these is also something I would not recommend to someone just starting out - you do not push them down for air, just draw them back.

Something like the Eclipse, which is built like a tank, and will take the abuse a new user will inevitably put it through, or the Creos brushes, which are of very similar quality are great suggestions. The one drawback for me with the Creos is that they are physically larger than many other brushes and I prefer a smaller brush. Trust me when I tell you that the .35 of the Eclipse is capable of doing most anything one would want to do with an airbrush while being robust enough to survive you learning to do it. Below is a small piece I did the first weekend after I received my Eclipse Takumi as an exercise to get to know the brush (work in progress at time of photo) -

I will also mention that I have a few (;)) brushes to choose from. Certainly most modern brushes and quite a few older ones (back to the early 1900's) to help for recommendations off of.

Great White w-Eclipse Takumi.jpg

Back