For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Was Told By The Nosy Dragon

Discussion in 'Introductions!' started by Spritz, May 21, 2019.

1. Spritz

Spritz Young Tutorling

Well since I was told by the big goofy dragon, which admitted to being very nosy, that I should have made my first post here.. here it goes.

Name's Mike. I'm not too keen on sharing about my life, basically because I don't have one. I'm 59, started to try and learn airbrushing (self taught) about 9 years ago, but had to stop a year or so after starting. Got back into it again about 6 months ago. But having problems with control, speed and patience . I think do to shoulder and hand joint problems and multiple lower back disc trouble...Broken airbrushes doesn't help either. I guess that's what I get for being an auto mechanic for 30 years... a broken body. Been joining in Timothy John Luke Smiths Live stream on You Tube every Wednesday night from 9:30 to 11:30pm, to learn and spend time in chat with a bunch of great people that airbrush. I've also been burning up my connection, watching as many You Tube videos on airbrushing as I can to learn. I have a 6 gal California Air Tool compressor and a little 1 gal 2 piston compressor, Paasche Talon, Badger Anthem 155, Tamiya Spray Works HG2, Master G45 for airbrushes. I've been working in a wet basement with mold, spraying with ink and Wicked paints. Working on getting a Sotar 20/20 and some other Badger guns, but hard to do when on fixed income.

I hope to learn here and maybe help someone else, if that's even possible, with what little knowledge I have on the subject.

Hope the dragon is happy now.

Mike
  2. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Welcome from the U.K. Mike. Don’t worry about over sharing lol, we don’t need to know everything, just enough so folks can better taylor responses. That same Dragon scolded me when I arrived too, so it’s all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jord001 and JackEb like this.
  3. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Welcome to the forum from China!
    jord001 likes this.
  4. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Yes the Dragon is happy, lol

1143EB80-F473-4712-9FDB-6240BE35B385.gif

Officially welcome from Australia Mike,
    As Siroxx has said,
    We don’t care what you had for breakfast so there’s no need to share everything, just enough to get a feel for your personality and what gear you have is sufficient and I suspect you’ll fit in just fine
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    LadyCharlie, jord001 and SiRoxx like this.
  5. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Welcome home Mike.
    Yes being a mechanic plays hell on your body mainly on the newer POS's vs the good old cars from when ya was a teen. Ya could walk around the engine bay back in the day and now ya have to pull the engine just to change plugs LOL.
    Speed comes with practice. slow and steady wins this race. so do not feel you have to paint as fast at those guys and gals in the videos . I made that mistake when I first started. Just remember they have years more practice then you :D
    jord001 likes this.
  6. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Welcome...
    I can relate to a lot of your issues. I started airbrushing as a physio for the many surgeries I had to endure due to the fall out of over 30 years in the printing trade. I started watching videos and talking to some on the social media, then found this place and the real learning started. Great people and even greater advice...or is that the other way around...lol
    Cheers
    jord001 likes this.
  7. Daroc

Daroc Double Actioner

Hi,
    Nice to know you from FL USA
    jord001 likes this.
  8. Spritz

Spritz Young Tutorling

Thanks All,

The replies and comments do make me feel welcomed into the group very nicely.

Just a little something else about me, the image I have for my avatar is an old work I did about 8 years ago when I was just tinkering around. I had to stop spraying because my buddy shut down his body shop, and bought a home with a huge garage to work out of. I on the other hand, move into my handicapped mothers house to take care of her, she is now 83. It only took me 8 years to convince her that ink and water base paint don't stink the house up. But the only area I have to do AB in, is the damp/wet basement and yes I'm pretty sure it has mold growing in it. So if I came off as grumpy in the Intro post, I probably was a little, but I'm not always.

Mike. S
    twood, basepaint and SiRoxx like this.
  9. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Grumpy is as Grumoy does Mike, don’t sweat it. For what it’s worth I didn’t think your post read as grumpy. I like the avatar too, some cool looking colours in the fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Jonathon

Jonathon Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Welcome to the group. Don't feel bad about painting in a damp dank moldy basement. That's where I setup shop as well. Lol. There's alot of talented people here to help guide ya with any sort of problem that could arise..
    SiRoxx likes this.
  11. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Welcome to Mitchs madhouse aka the forum,don't let age and being a mechanic stop you as I'm also both old and a retired mechanic and make lures to fish with for muskie! Enjoy your time on here and get to know some of us and I'm sure you will like it here
  12. musicmacd

musicmacd The Createx Bandit Very Likeable!

Hi there! I would highly recommend the Blair soft spring and the Blair method of holding your gun and trigger placement, minimal energy required, there’s a video on his YouTube showing how hold it :)