Water, and chrome.

Squishy

Queen Clown Slayer
I'm ok with splashes and drops of water but would like to improve waves, seascapes, and still water like lakes ponds etc.

Also chrome effect. I think the reflective qualities could also help with water.

My experiment with a chrome effect on some A4 paper, didn't quite work...

100_2752.jpg So would love any advice/tips or tutorials on any of these :joyous:

looks good man i think if you added a little more of the anatomical features such as muscle, and shading , it would look more realistic, hard to morph one form into another, it is beyond me, but i think it looks good.

me and my wife were studying it and it needs an eye, the overall form is good but you need to bring it to life, with some realistic features i think that would top it off.

I think it is neat!! Cool concept!

One thing i would change is the color of the hair it the tail, not the whole tail, just the little ones on bottom that are brown. Knowing the anatomy of a horse and what comes out of that end......... lets just say the brown threw me off and i had to look twice at it, lol!!!

I do like it though!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It doesn't look like chrome (and I suck at chrome so I can't help much there) but it has a cool transparent crystal or glass look! I would keep it how it is... crystal horse... KEWL! ooooh OR a water-horse... it kinda looks like its made of solid water (ice???) ! I love it how it is... not what you were aiming for maybe but an awesome effect anyway :)

I don't find that there is anything wrong with this painting, its cleverly done and you've stumbled upon one effect while looking for another, the effect of brushed aluminium instead of high chrome, nothing wrong at all, and another handy effect in your box of tricks.

If I might suggest looking at the little airbrush icons on the left of the forum home page, you can see that all the little shapes that go into making these are simply sharper, so I think if you simply sharpen up all the shapes on your horse and brighten up the white areas, you'll get very close to what your looking for.

Also by making more use of translucent effects you will most likely end up with water, if you did this same horse with a full background behind it, and then paint your horse in translucent paint over the background, I feel sure that it would appear that it was made of water.

I'm no expert and this is not based on experience, only logical thinking.

I think it is neat!! Cool concept!

One thing i would change is the color of the hair it the tail, not the whole tail, just the little ones on bottom that are brown. Knowing the anatomy of a horse and what comes out of that end......... lets just say the brown threw me off and i had to look twice at it, lol!!!

I do like it though!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

LOL!!!!!!!!!! I hadn't thought of that, just tried to get some reflection of the ground in, but now you've said it can't think of anything else LOL!

I don't find that there is anything wrong with this painting, its cleverly done and you've stumbled upon one effect while looking for another, the effect of brushed aluminium instead of high chrome, nothing wrong at all, and another handy effect in your box of tricks.

If I might suggest looking at the little airbrush icons on the left of the forum home page, you can see that all the little shapes that go into making these are simply sharper, so I think if you simply sharpen up all the shapes on your horse and brighten up the white areas, you'll get very close to what your looking for.

Also by making more use of translucent effects you will most likely end up with water, if you did this same horse with a full background behind it, and then paint your horse in translucent paint over the background, I feel sure that it would appear that it was made of water.

I'm no expert and this is not based on experience, only logical thinking.

I think you're right, it's a little fuzzy cos the paper soaked up the paint a little, and although i made a mask for the overall shape, the rest was freehanded so maybe need to use some masks to get it a little cleaner. If anyone has a vid or a how to, I will love you (from afar) forever. Really want to learn this, it's such a cool effect.

I think you're right, it's a little fuzzy cos the paper soaked up the paint a little, and although i made a mask for the overall shape, the rest was freehanded so maybe need to use some masks to get it a little cleaner. If anyone has a vid or a how to, I will love you (from afar) forever. Really want to learn this, it's such a cool effect.

You don't actually need stencils or masks, you can sharpen up your edges with a simple shield, if you used transparency paper or those plastic document holders from office supplies, you can easily trace out your individual shapes and just cut them out.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that if you wanted to make your horse from water, the background would naturally be distorted to some extent, by placing your plastic horsie over the area of background where you would like it to be, distort some of this area, doesn't matter too much how distorted it is, a little should be enough to fool even me, lol

Hey Squishy, I like this. It's a really neat piece, and a great attempt at chrome.

With that said (here comes the BUT) chrome is like a mirror, so any surface pointed up will reflect sky. Take a look at the leg furthest back. You painted it reflecting the ground, but above the knee it points toward the sky. The balls of the shoulder should reflect the blue of the sky, and white of the clouds, and have a bright highlight facing the light source. Chrome is difficult to pull off, because you really need to know the exact shape of what you are painting, so as to put the reflected image in the correct planes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squishy, it looks awesome, very creative, a quick suggestion on my end is to contrast the colors more, make more use of the dark brown in the shadow areas, maybe even some loose stencils or go in super close, these reflections are always sharp. in saying that the reflection you've made with the white looks really cool:) what inspired this piece?

Hey Airbrush Tutor. I want to try and get this down because my husband loves the liquid metal work by Julie Bell, and I want to be able to do something special for him. I experimented with a horse because I hadn't really done one. eventually if I can get this licked I want to do a couple of dragons, one in flight with cloud and sky reflections, and one fiery with red, I know he'd love it, just struggling a bit with the technique.

Back