Water droplets

T

Tonyck

Can someone please tell me howvto airbrush rain droplets with water base paints on paper.
Thank you,
Tonyck

Can someone please tell me howvto airbrush rain droplets with water base paints on paper.
Thank you,
Tonyck

I'm kind of curious about that too. I know how with solvent based paints, but never tried with water based stuff.

I do not think it can be done. Might be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If your talking about spraying on top of the water and letting it evaporate, it will only work with solvent based. The water based paint will just mix in with the water. The theory is....water and oil doesn't mix.....

I can tell you after the comp, otherwise my pics might give it away :0

send me a PM and I can show you what i did :)

its just a thought but with urethanes you spray down water and then your paint and the water evaporates. so could you do just the opposite? spray down lacquer, then your water based paint and let the lacquer evaporate? even tho the lacquer will evaporate fairly quickly.

At 78 I have just started learning airbrushing and two years ago started training for triathlons and now hhave completed 11 and a number of ten km races. I have no intention of growing up.
Tony

Without the trick of 2 different paint bases I guess one way to do it would be very tedious but effective and that is to go about it like painting rivets only instead of definitive shapes and uniform sizes..... just use light/shadow tones to hint at something being there

its pretty simple... someone on this very forum has posted a step by step on how to do water drops... just look it up with the time and effort but it is a previous post... good luck

i looked for it friend,, i cant seem to find it.. maybe another person on here will know and chime in..

Hey tony - please accept my apologies for my strange response yesterday - I was seriously short on time and needed to get kiddos and myself to bed. (1 am :0 )
I think that the following youtube vids would do a better job than I would of explaining the water drop....... just paint what you see.
I realize he is sketching it, but the conversion to AB is easy. cut a stencil of the drop (or drops) shapes you want and then shade as he has shaded for practise. once that is mastered then try experimenting with the light source and shadows. don't throw away the drops you cut out of you mask, as you will need those to mask of the drop and brush the shadow.
How to Draw a Water Drop Step by Step - YouTube
How to Draw a Water Drop - YouTube

and finally here is one using prestik (sticky stuff) as a mask - Airbrush Quick Tips - Water Drops - YouTube

Thank you sincerely flycatchr, this is great l looked on utube and this will solve my problem.
My next question mayi ask is skin tones colours.
Tony

its just a thought but with urethanes you spray down water and then your paint and the water evaporates. so could you do just the opposite? spray down lacquer, then your water based paint and let the lacquer evaporate? even tho the lacquer will evaporate fairly quickly.

if you shoot urethane on any painted surface it shall ruin everything under..
it migt work if you add drops of urethane on bare metal surface..
but why not try drops of alcohol?

Painting water drops with water based paint can be done..but you need to think 3 dimensionally. It takes 3 colors to make an item 3 dimensional 1) highlight color 2)base color 3) shadow color. By taking a flat shape (base color) and add a lighter color on one side(highlight) and add a darker color to opposite side (shadow). It can be done!

Back