Waterbased paints like comart on vehicles

T

Tljakes

Can waterbased airbrush paints be used on cars and bikes or would the colours fade in sunlight?

Wicked and Autoair can paint any surface and are color fast paint , I have painted mail boxes that sit in the sun all day with comart and so far after 4 years color has not faded, But did use 2K clear on it.
I would love to try Trident when they get a dealer in the states.
Jaime Rodriguez used Spectra-tex on everything cars bikes caps and t-shirts.

Wicked and Autoair can paint any surface and are color fast paint , I have painted mail boxes that sit in the sun all day with comart and so far after 4 years color has not faded, But did use 2K clear on it.
I would love to try Trident when they get a dealer in the states.
Jaime Rodriguez used Spectra-tex on everything cars bikes caps and t-shirts.

I'm pretty sure the Trident range will be available soon in the states....Daniel Power is in Las Vegas for sema, next month I think that is...:)

I'm pretty sure the Trident range will be available soon in the states....Daniel Power is in Las Vegas for sema, next month I think that is...:)

I know Dan will be at SEMA , I do not think he has missed one for the past few years. But I do know he is looking for a vender for here in the states.
I have tries a small sample of it but not really enough to put through the paces if you know what I mean.

Thanks Slippery and Mr.Micron. I want to do a custom theme on my Bike but saw a few posts on the net where the naysayers advise against waterbased paints for vehicles as it persumably loses color with the UV rays from the sun.
2k clear is the final layer that would be used as I don't like the normal clears as personal preference.

I was just asked to so a bunch of helmets for a local bike club. They mostly are half helmets open face. They just want their logo and name in white on black helmets.
I'm curious if wicked or urethane, enamel paints would be best? I'm not sure they want them cleared either maybe a matte finish you know. I just want to be sure the paint is gonna last and not fade.

Whell u would need a clear regardless if it needs to be flat or shiny, but that's no prob. Wicked or uros, doesnt matter both will work, just what you prefer to use.

Thanks. Guess ill go ahead and grab the wicked multi pack.

dont use the cratex..that's what the naysayers are referring to, i shall never use that on a car, box, or anything i want on the sun all day, with a 2k clear it may be better but with out it, it fade's like the 70's lol

What is a 2k clear? I plan on using wicked for the helmet or buy some other stuff maybe, for now I only need black and white.
Also does anyone know of a matte clear that will work good. I'm planning on buying a cheap spray gun only for clear anything I should look out for.

A 2k clear is a catalyized urethane clear. Different clears have different UV ratings, they are not all equal. You may be able to purchase a matte clear, but not with any of the systems I use. Most systems require a flattening agent be mixed with the clear prior to spraying. The amount of flattening agent you add determines how flat the finish will be. If you have never sprayed a "matte" finish, I would advise taking it to someone that knows what they are doing or practice on something else first. Spraying a falt, or semi falt, finish is tricky. If done incorrectly, you will leave streaks.

Okay thanks for the info. I'll have to look into finding a good matte finish.

Not sure if someones mentioned this already but be wary of one thing, what the vehicle is based in. Most modern cars are acrylic of some nature and waterbased acrylics should be laid on top imo, if its a uro based car I will generally stick with uros.. I found this out pretty early on as I did the opposite and ended up a few years latter cracking pretty bad.. I was told by a friend panel beater that this is basically because one is more flexible than the other, the acrylic base was moving and essentially cracking the uro's I put on top, not sure if he was right but it kind of made sense, so now I try to stick with the same paint type as its base and continue this with the same type of clear, no matter what a bottle says LOL, but I'm def no expert in the field of spraying cars and paint chemistry, just an experiance I thought I'd mention...

Back