What airbrush to buy?? Help please

when i start i buy a old car lerning the basics ... when i crash the car who cares

Yer but when that car won't start in the first place LOLOL..Buy what you can afford ultimately, but one prob with chinese rip offs is that realistically it will take you a few weeks to a couple of months to progress from dots and daggers to beginning some decent work..If the gun your using can't keep up with your own progress you will be outgrowing it very quickly and looking to upgrade anyway..Not only that if it does spray like crap (Which is hit and miss with cheaper variety's), you won't know if its you or the gun..Buying quality takes the gun out of the equation to a degree so you've only got you to blame....LOL..

Btw Arunabha42, a single action will do you fine if you just want to spray base coats for modelling..Though that's about all their good for, if ya wanna get a bit more fancy with it, doing fades and such a duals a good choice.. :)

Arunabha, you definitely want a double action. For art, it's almost a must, but even for 3D objects you have much more control of how and where the paint will land.

Single action is like a spray-can when you push the trigger. Double action gives you air when you push the trigger...and as you pull back on it, it goes from a tiny amount of paint up to full spray, depending on how far you pull. This combined with distance, will let you get in tight and do thin lines or small areas for aging seems, or exhaust stains.
Look and see what the guys that are doing the kind of model work you like, are using. They have already went through the trial and error for you.

And yeah, I'm with Ace 100%. I could have saved the money I spent on a cheap set-up, and just put it toward the stuff I bought two months later. This is not an industry to try and go cheap. Practice supplies being the exception, get cheap paper and reduce with homemade reducer or water, for the stuff you'll throw away. Other than that...quality leads to quality, and vice-versa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone. To mention my equipment. I bought a Paasche VL, when I was in New York (late 80's). Comes with 3 needles and nozzles (approximately 0.5 - 0.7 - 1.1 mm). I use only the finest one, with both acrylic and enamel based paints. I started again with that WONDERFULL tutorial available on this site (the best one, and I've been looking for years in something very neat: Yeap, anyone will get the best tutor here). But the thing is the following. I bought a compressor, oilless, one cylinder, with 3 liters tank, water trap and manometer. It's a very common chinese compressor, sold under many trade marks in Europe, and thy're all the same. The only thing is that the Paasche VL needs so much air that it is impossible to work around 30psi more than 10 seconds. The VL takes more air than the compressor is available to maintain. Mainly the pressure falls and remains steady at around 15psi during a minute or more brush work.
compressor.jpg
I do not know if a double motor compressor will work better, as the air volume taken will raise from around 23 ltrs to 30 ltrs/mn. I'm stille satisfied with the Paasce, very durable, but certainly not as precise as an Iwata or H&S (the trigger is not so smooth, event with the spring minimally tensioned in the mechanism).
All the best

I think everyone covered your question pretty well. There is a website that I usually check out before buying any airbrush I am not familiar with. http://theairbrushreview.com is a good source of airbrush reviews from users I would suggest checking it out before you buy an airbrush

Back