For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

What do customers see?

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Neural, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Neural

Neural Gravity Guru

While I'm on a late night insomnia fueled posting spree...

What is it about people in general that they see in someones art work that the artist *can't* see?

I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I finished a piece of artwork and said "wow, that's neat!"

On the other side, I have probably 5 or 6 pieces of art that I created between my childhood and around 2000. The rest I have thrown away out of sheer disgust (much to the dismay of anyone that had seen it).

If I create something, all I see is ..well.. crap. Yet the people who come across it (average people, not other artists necessarily) have nothing but praise for what I do.

Are they lying just to be nice? Are they just going on first impression, and later in life will come to see the mess of errors that something is?

I've been watching airbrush tutorial videos. The whole "quick ways you can make money with your airbrush" type of stuff on youtube. Honestly, I'm not sure what these guys have in mind when they say "beginner airbrush artist", unless they mean "beginner who has spent 20 years practicing dagger strokes".

Anyway. Does anyone have experience with this sort of enigmatic issue of people saying your art is "amazing", even though you think it's complete garbage?
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  2. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Art is in the eye of the beholder , That said I have seen pieces of what the university I work for calls fine art. But to me they look like someone filled water balloons with paint then dropped them off a tall building. To the person who spent the university's money on the piece thinks it is like a Van Gogh or something to me it is more like a "Rorschach Test" in which everyone who views it sees something different.
    As artist we are more critical of our own art. I am sure to everyone who thought it was great ,IT WAS!! but we see our mistakes cause we are the one who had the vision and when something does not come out like our vision it goes in the bin.
    MeeshellMP and HellBird like this.
  3. RichardH

RichardH Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

I was typing a reply to this and Herb posted exactly what I was typing. Each artist that paints something is their worst critic. We see each and every mistake we might have made and think it is garbage. I can remember years ago that I went to a local street exhibit that the local artist set up to sell and show their art they do and I was looking through a small bin that the artist had set up. I saw a small picture that she had painted with water colors of a barn and farm scene. I thought it was the most beautiful picture I had ever seen and I bought it. She had marked it down for some reason. I guess in her eyes it wasn't worth much but to me it was beautiful.
    What I paint now is nothing extraordinary and is simply fun for me to do. People I've shown them too just rave over them. Maybe it's something they feel they can't do or just don't have the time to try. Maybe in their eyes it is a masterpiece. Then again, maybe they think I am so old and incapable of doing anything " in their eyes" then they feel sorry for me and want to compliment anything I do. Who knows what goes through peoples minds.
    Long story short, just keep painting and enjoying what you do.

Richard
  4. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

Kilsyth, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, Planet Earth
    You should be more concerned with what the customer doesn't see, like the hard work and planning involved, the time it takes you to do your piece, the cost of all the materials needed to complete your work and in some cases the effect some jobs can have on your mental well being.

Other than fellow artists, the average Joe Bloggs has no clue what goes into your work, as such if you asked them to make you an offer for your work they would offer you a sum you would cringe at, to you its a few days of hard work and possible grief but to them it's just an arrangement of nice shapes and colours and pleasing to the eye, they would understand better what it's worth if they sat beside you from start to finish.

Having said all that, we artists all have to watch our work grow from a blank canvas to a completed work and we all tend to think of everything in between as either failure or a series of errors, if you were able to see only the finished product and nothing else in between you would be less critical of yourself as would we all, so if someone tells you a job you did looks fantastic, it will be.

The work you have done since joining us here might not be my cup of tea but that doesn't take away the fact that your concepts and skills are pretty incredible as are the effects you manage to achieve with all of your work, I have the utmost respect for the works of other artists whether it is up my street or not, so when you get compliments from anyone at all, accept it for what it is and smile, any positive feedback you get is a sign that you've achieved something, even if you think you haven't:)

Plod on happily with what you do and have fun doing it:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    MeeshellMP, RichardH and HellBird like this.
  5. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

Lol yeah dude, you're just being negative :p

Seriously though, a piece of art that you create is your "baby". You care very deeply about it. You see every blemish and spot where you "failed". The casual observer first of all does not care about this artwork and has no clue what happened in the creation of it. They have no emotional attachment to the quality of the work, they only have an indication of whether they find it pleasing or not.
  6. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Mod

So when we paint, or create anything really, we are only too aware of the "errors" or "mistakes" but give it 2 months and look for them again, good luck finding them That is what Bob Ross used to talk about... it's not a "mistake".

The ability of the artist is to incorporate what wasn't planned into the end piece, in fact often this is what makes the piece. The person viewing it isn't looking with the same critical eye you have as it's creator.

Also, if you were trying to recreate a reference and it turned out different, then you can see the difference by direct comparison. Take away the reference and try again... eh person viewing isn't looking at the art AND the reference at the same time. Again, they have no base to judge upon so they either like it or they don't!
  7. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

As above, we are way to critical of our own work, we know what we did wrong and that is all that we can see.
    As above, what I like may not be your cup of tea (or shine in Mr.Microns case)

Feedback I've had from family (and they dont sugar coat anything lol ) is that they are 'in awe' that it has been produced by hand, not computer generated, and they couldnt do it if they tried.

Somebody here suggested (I cant recall who it was, I think it was RebelAir) once you are done. walk away for an hour or two, come back, stand 3 metres (10ft) away from it and then pick your mistakes....... if you cant see them (as opposed to remembering where they were) then the mistakes dont exist.

If you are binning your work because you dont 'like' it then you are doing yourself an injustice. As Mr.Micron stated, we are all different in what we like / dont like, thats why there are so many different styles of Art around the world,
    doc1 likes this.
  8. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Needle-chuck Ninja

This is very true. One of the most annoying things I've seen around various places people post work, is that someone will come in and post the reference without the artist's permission. As if to say "this guy uses references and it's not straight from the his/her head." They won't just let it stand on its own.

AS far as feedback goes, it is such a touchy subject, that people with low post counts and no admin privileges like me just steer clear.
    markjthomson likes this.
  9. JackEb

Dont ever let that stop you from giving contructive critique of any work that is posted, if you can see something that can be improved and offer suggestions on how to correct it then by all means jump right in. Just remember to choose your words carefully, because this is a text based conversation platform people can sometimes take offence in what they read when there was no such intention by the poster.
    If people arent advised on how to improve then we will all just sit in our own little comfort zone for ever and never improve
    Dimitris and markjthomson like this.
  10. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Hahaha, I got the opposite problem: I like some of the pieces that I painted very much, but nobody else does. It's not that I have an inflated ego, but it's about a finished piece that I think looks really cool. There are certain paintings I am really excited that they came out, but it does not trigger any reaction whatsoever from people who pass by and look at it (except for just a blank stare).

I think Mark and JackEB and others in this thread are certainly right; we often overvalue many of the errors and mistakes we make, whilst in the grand picture of things they don't have any weight. Also, it's easy to get lost in details when airbrushing, but such details are just details.

People will not see or discover such 'mistakes' later on. Remember that a customer or viewer is looking at the painting maybe for a couple of minutes, whilst you were sitting at it for hours or days. A viewer can never have the same relationship with the picture than you, its creator.

At the same time, I think it's natural for an artist to be never truly satisfied with the work she or he just did. That provides motivation and momentum to try harder in the next attempt.
    JackEb likes this.
  11. Tuffnutz

Tuffnutz Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Glasshopper. All will be well , when you can tread lightly on the Licepaper without leaving big fat wellie marks. Just keep going. As soon as my cup overfloweth I gobble it and just have another one. Coffee that is.
    markjthomson and Malky like this.
  12. Tocean

Tocean Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

A bit of a blessing and a curse, on one hand being critical of your art makes you strive to be a better artist, on the other you can be miserable by never being satisfied. I was in the same boat, always looking at what was wrong with something, always trying to compare my art to other art I like. I decided that I wasn't having fun with it and threw it all out the window and just started going at it, looking at every project like a learning experience, now I hang up my art in my warehouse even if I screwed it up and look over it all, I'm no longer looking at it in a negative way but in a progressive way and I think it's brought me further along with a more positive mindset.

I read about a 90 year old Japanese knife maker that stated that every blade he made, he tried to make better than the last, he had this mindset for over 75 years making knives and said he strives to make the perfect blade, which even if he did he'd try to make one even better. That has stuck with me over the years.
    RichardH likes this.
  13. Tuffnutz

Tuffnutz Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

After that he cut his own throat?
    Malky likes this.
  14. Jurien72

bwahaha- I know a guitar maker who made a guitar out of "damaged" goods. A body he screwed up, a neck he gouged, frets he bent, so on and so forth. He said it was very cathartic- because out of all the flaws, came an object that was good and made cool music. It was symbolic of him and who he was- kind of a reminder that even though he had personal flaws, he was still useful as a human being. It taught him that its ok to screw up. Lol Im too tired to explain it better...
  15. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Yes, that's what this is all about... mistakes must be possible. Miles Davis once said that he could not envision playing a gig where no mistakes were possible. If it's perfect, it's not human anymore. If there is a 'control-z', then it's not interesting anymore. We're nursing an archaic artform here that has been made redundant by computers already long time ago, so embrace what cannot be made by algorithms.
  16. JackEb

I love that !!

I really enjoy technology but not to the detriment of actually living and experiencing life
    HellBird and Franc Kaiser like this.
  17. Jurien72

but... but... I LOVE Farming Simulator! :( It's not my fault I can't afford a real tractor!!!
    HellBird, Franc Kaiser and Malky like this.