What does this thing here do?

J

Joe Fusco

I got a Master airbrush kit for Christmas and it had a distinct lack of documentation with it. I've watched a few videos on disassembling the airbrush and there's one part that doesn't really get discussed. There's the needle chuck with its set "screw" then you have this knurled piece - that some brushes have a window for - that screws in and out of the body of the brush. My assumption is that it adjusts the flow relative to how far back you pull the trigger but I don't know. What does that piece do?

While I'm at it, on my siphon feed brush there's a nozzle adjuster that I'm thinking works like a pressure nozzle on a hose. Screw it down more, you get a tighter, higher velocity spray and open it up and you get a wider, softer spray. Do I have that right?

Thanks,
Joe

That is to add or take away tension on trigger pull. Some like a soft pull to the needle other like it with more tension on it.
It has nothing to do with flow other then the softer the tension the easier it is to open the needle too far allowing a lot more paint to flow out when you really do not want it to.
But this is where picture of what you actually talking about would make a world of difference.

Window? Window in the body is to tighten or loosen needle bearing to adjust the needle drag.
6BA05688-AB9A-40BC-B450-2F4DE535D6E7.jpeg

Window in the handle is to pull back needle to clear clogs.
79459D02-B936-4517-AC8B-81489AD477CA.jpeg

I'm a bit late to the party, but what sort of "siphon feed" brush do you have? If it's like a Paasche H or a Badger 350, you are correct. It works just like a hose nozzle.

Back