What Exactly is Intercoat?

J

Jeff Taylor

Sorry for the newbie question, but what exactly is Intercoat? Why, when, and how do you use it?

Thanks!

I could be wrong but I think its just transparent base. used to protect candies seeping onto to each other.

Wouldn`t have a clue. I`ve got a winter coat, but i guess that`s not it. LOL!!.

I've always thought inter-coat was a clear layer that you put between layers of color to protect the lower color from the upper layer of color, such as to prevent the colors from bleeding/absorbing into each other or otherwise interacting in a way that messes up the top color. Say you put white on top of a red, putting the white directly on top of the red might turn into a pink if the red leeches into he white (or vice versa), where if you had an inter-coat between those two layers, the white would remain much more vibrant and white.

Someone more knowledgeable might be able to clarify further or correct anything I said. :)

I've always thought inter-coat was a clear layer that you put between layers of color to protect the lower color from the upper layer of color, such as to prevent the colors from bleeding/absorbing into each other or otherwise interacting in a way that messes up the top color. Say you put white on top of a red, putting the white directly on top of the red might turn into a pink if the red leeches into he white (or vice versa), where if you had an inter-coat between those two layers, the white would remain much more vibrant and white.

Someone more knowledgeable might be able to clarify further or correct anything I said. :)

I would guess that your assumptions are correct, my own understanding is that inter-coat is just another term for a sealer between layers of colour, I think it's fairly obvious that the coat will be clear since it would be pointless to inter-coat with straight black;) also this intercoat would have to be able to hold new layers so a high gloss layer isn't going to work without sanding, I know that the artist Jurek Zamoysky uses what he calls an acrylic medium several times between his layers, I would refer to this medium more as a water based matt Varnish used to seal the layers, Jurek stated that this practice adds depth to his work, having seen his work and been influenced by it, I have to agree with him.

On this basis I would assume that intercoat clear is simply anything at all you can use that will seal between layers to avoid bleeding and unwanted colour shifts.

PS. Years ago in my job I had to apply protection to the underside of caravans, the process I used was to cover the whole in deride with bitumen (which is reversable ) for water proofing, next step was two coats of shellac (can't miss the same bit twice), and the last step was a black liquid plastic coating, so in this case the shellac was the intercoat used to avoid the bitumen from bleeding into the final finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you are refering to HOK SG-100, it is a bit of a transparant base (pigmentless paint) with clearcoat properties (prevents bleeding)

Why use it?
-Candies, flakes etc need something to make them stick. Intercoat can be used for this. As it is basicly paint without color adding candy or flakes you make your "own paint".
-Prevent the bleeding effect. A candy will once clearcoat is added reactivate and blend/mix with all layer beneath and on top of it. So when you have painted white on top of a red candy this will result in a pink line once clearcoat is applied. A layer of intercoat clear ontop af a candy will prevent this from happening. Beware that applying intercoat will reactivate candy colors just as clearcoat would so any candies beneath the layer of candy the intercoat is applied on will start bleeding at that moment.

Just to be sure this is not a replacement for clearcoat

ps I might be repeating what is said above but I was too lazy to read it :p

Pss from the tech sheet:

General information

S2-SG100 Intercoat is an important tool for the custom painter. It is designed to be applied over a base color, prior to taped art work. This allows for easy removal of mis-tapes or other errors without damage to base color. We recommend KC20 as the only clean up solvent. The intercoat is also applied over art work to preserve blending and fogging of various colors before applying kandy or klear topcoats. S2-SG100 is not a build up klear or a top coat klear. When used as a carrier for basecoat kandys, pearls or flakes, limit applied coats to 4. Considered a must over Marblizer® before kandy or klear to guarantee adhesion. S2-SG100 Intercoat, as you can see, is an important workhorse for the painter!

NOTES:
• Do not use S2-SG100 as a top coat klear!
• Do not exceed 4 coats, only 3-4 coats with sufficient flash between coats is all that is required to fill tape-out lines.
• S2-00 Trans Nebulae FX Karrier Basecoat is highly recommended for use as a karrier base for Dry Pearls (DP), Flake (F).

Allow to flash from 30 minutes up to a max. 4 hours before top coating. After 4 hours, wet sand with 500 and re-spray S2-SG100.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for your responses! That helps a lot.

i find it to be a necessity after airbrushing something detailed to protect it if any tape or masking is needed over the work you have done already when working in a new area.

Back