What is cheating??

Ok just read the very first post & tbh cant be ar*ed reading all the way through the thread lol

My view is nothing is cheating. Ok this is an airbrush forum & we're all here for that reason but the way i see it is at the end of the day its all about the finished product, after all thats what you will be judged upon. The way you create that piece of artwork be it using just an airbrush freehand or using stencils, erasers, fine brushes, pens etc shouldnt come into it imo.

Tapatalk 2

In my opinion art is an abstract as an idea, no good or bad, no right or wrong. Saying that, even if admire some of the art that is produced by stencils or tracing, I consider it an aided approach to art. Yes you can say similarly at some extend are reference photos, grid transfer, even tube paint. If I could I would make my own paint, but unfortunately I can’t. But as any other aspect of creating in life, the more of YOUR abilities are in a process the biggest value it has to you. And the biggest critic is yourself. I like to take –whenever possible- my own reference photos, sketch my idea in pencil , sometimes use a grid transfer, and then sometimes trace my sketch to my final surface. The more of my abilities are on the process the happier I am. A lot more people can today get an image to a photo manipulating software and at some extend make a pleasant result and then trace it or directly print it in a canvas that can actually hold a brush. I thing the less aided is a painting the more talented or skilfull if you prefer is the painter and more fulfilling the process.

I'll use whatever I can, whenever I can to try and get down what I'm seeing in my head, and if that's cheating, I don't actually care. If I enjoy doing it, and I'm happy with the result, then winner winner chicken dinner as far as I'm concerned. Do what makes you feel good.

I tend to make a basic outline stencil to get the general shape and position of things, or do a light pencil drawing, and then freehand the details, but I'll use masks, french curves, objects from around the house, or whatever, if I think I need to.

The only thing I consider cheating is someone not fessing up to copying someone elses work. I think most people copy, borrow or adapt to some degree I know I do, and I don't see a problem with it, but if someone copies and then try to pass it off as thier own, then I think that's cheating. But that's just the opinion of little old me.

Last edited:
Back