What is the best FRISKET

M

MBailey

Ok, I'm an art teacher at a High School and one of the classes that I started years ago was airbrushing. This is a very popular class and is always full. The problem that I have had in the past and made me change even my style of work is dealing with Frisket. The kind that I loved and used in my classes was Badger. A few years ago, they changed their tack formula ( I called them and complained and this is what they told me) so that now it is so damn sticky, it was ripping paint off like crazy. Since then, I have gone almost stricktly freehand in my own work, which I realy enjoy, but for students starting out, this is impossible. I found a very low tack 3" role of masking tape that we have been using in class and it works pretty well but obviously frisket would be so much better. What is the best kind that you all use and love. I would love to switch back if possible. because of expense, it would have to come in a role and not just single sheet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Your might want to try auto mask, or low tack transfer tape from the sign industry. Any airbrush paint supplier should be able to give advice as to which products. Both of the products I mentioned will come in a roll of varying widths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Or detack the badger stuff. Jeans and cotton shirts will leave some fuzz on it and make it easier to handle.

My big areas are usually cut from Orcal paint mask on a plotter. It could be cut by hand. Low tack and stretchy. I like it. Also if you use it on hard surface it can be removed with wax and grease remover.

Depending on what you are working. On paper or board I would go for Artool Frisket. Quite expensive but is is nice and thin. On other hard surfaces try transfer tape as been mentioned.

We usually will be working on canvas boards. I'm thinking of giving the transfer tape a try. anything that is low tack and transparent that wont peel up paint would be great. Thank you for the suggestions.

We usually will be working on canvas boards. I'm thinking of giving the transfer tape a try. anything that is low tack and transparent that wont peel up paint would be great. Thank you for the suggestions.

Transfer paper is not very transparent. It is like tissue paper. You can't see light colours through it. For my canvas work I use re-positionable clear book covering vinyl. It is not low tack but stick little enough on canvas. It is way too tacky for any other surface.

The arttool frisket is pretty good. Unfortunately, none of it is really what I would call "good" right now. Rumor is that they're all made by 3M, who doesn't feel like changing the tack formula. I know some people have been working with other companies, but as far as I know, none of them have hit the market yet.

But, the arttool stuff is good enough to be usable, at least. I de-tack it on my forearm before applying it, but I do that with pretty much any frisket, so it's basically just force of habit now.

Back