What paint is suggested for a new comer to Airbrushing ?

Yes Jack, at least It`ll stop me ever making that same mistake again . I`m just wondering now what my next calamity will be .:eek:ops:

I think I might have mentioned before (too lazy to check lol) but Wicked is what I use and love. It is great for multiple surfaces, and I've used it on plastic, leather, baseball caps, automotive, canvas, paper and board. However, if you are only going to be doing portraits then I suggest the Createx Illustration line is probably your best bet. It is more specifically tailored to fine art/portraiture, and techniques such as erasing etc are more suited to it, (plus I believe it is re-wettable?)

Wicked will work fine though. it's just that it is very heavily pigmented to make it so versatile, and needs a lot of reduction. It dries really quick so some techniques have to be done fairly quickly (the reducer helps with drying too. It is the 4012/w500 but you won't need as much for the illustration, though I recommend it as it has other great properties such as virtually no tip dry at the optimum reduction) But if you don't need that versatility then the Illustration will be more suitable. :)

One good thing about wicked is that it lasts forever, if for example you buy a bottle of wicked detail black for practicing, you can cut it hundereds of % with reducer and transparent base, so you'll end up having a lot of material to spray. There's so much pigment in them.

OK thanks for that squishy every tip helps no matter how small. As soon as I read them I reach for my (now getting crowded) note book and jot them all down.

Quote hamaf,...." One good thing about wicked is that it lasts forever, if for example you buy a bottle of wicked detail black for practicing, you can cut it hundereds of % with reducer and transparent base, so you'll end up having a lot of material to spray. There's so much pigment in them.".
Thanks hamaf , thats a point I will have to remember.:thumbsup:

Getting the reduction and pressure right will be your next hurdle.

Don't be put off by the seemily never ending hurdles, just remember back to when you attempted anything new and the 'fun' you had then :)

We're here to guide you when you wobble so don't panic

Hi guys. Well I got in contact with the supplier of the paint I bough and he went along with what you guys said about it probably wasn`t the right paint for my needs. So he`s suggested I need the "Wicked" primary set for illustration, which he suggests would be best suited to portrait painting which is what I`m going to lean towards doing . So I`ll just wait till the colors I wrongly ordered come ,and send them back to him which he`ll then send me by return the wicked paint.
Ah! well my first major error ,and Even before I`ve started eh! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Its probably going to be one of many knowing me.:)

Glad you had time to change it :)..It is more for Tshirts but is good paint..just got to throw it at higher pressures..You'll be better off with the wicked. It is good learning with both good paint and airbrush, it allows you to focus on the learning bit, rather than the working it all out bit LOL..

Glad you had time to change it :)..It is more for Tshirts but is good paint..just got to throw it at higher pressures..You'll be better off with the wicked. It is good learning with both good paint and airbrush, it allows you to focus on the learning bit, rather than the working it all out bit LOL..

Hi guys. Well I got in contact with the supplier of the paint I bough and he went along with what you guys said about it probably wasn`t the right paint for my needs. So he`s suggested I need the "Wicked" primary set for illustration, which he suggests would be best suited to portrait painting which is what I`m going to lean towards doing . So I`ll just wait till the colors I wrongly ordered come ,and send them back to him which he`ll then send me by return the wicked paint.
Ah! well my first major error ,and Even before I`ve started eh! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Its probably going to be one of many knowing me.:)

@Rincewind You will be buying more paint, more airbrushes, more equipment soon anyway :) We all do once we get hooked. Then you can join AA (airbrush anonymous) here on the forum, you could even develop AAD and then we really know you have been bitten by the airbrush bug... :thumbsup:

Lee

yeah, I'm new too... I found I went through my first starter set fast. Just trying to learn to mix the colors I made too much all the time. Then I bought a big bottle of reducer and my second set is lasting a lot longer. As for your questions, you are asking good ones and I know there are lots of people like me that read it and are learning from your questions and the answers given, so keep them coming

@Rincewind You will be buying more paint, more airbrushes, more equipment soon anyway :) We all do once we get hooked. Then you can join AA (airbrush anonymous) here on the forum, you could even develop AAD and then we really know you have been bitten by the airbrush bug... :thumbsup:

Lee
Some of us have been bitten, chewed up and spat out by AAD, but keep going back.

PS. @Rincewind , AAD is Airbrush Aquisiton Disorder... the overwhelming need to buy another brush or two .. or six... just so you have one of each model to do specific things ..... at least that's what we tell ourselves (and our partners :D)

Now thats Xtremely Scary you should both mention that Lee & Jack, especially at my embryonic stage in Airbrushing .;) I need a medic quick !!! They`ve successfully diagnosed my symptoms straight away.

Last edited:
Now thats Xtremely Scary you should both mention that Lee & Jack, especially at my embryonic stage in Airbrushing .;) I need a medic quick !!! They`ve successfully diagnosed my symptoms straight away.

Here's a big tip for you. ...

Before you buy anything, check in here first, ask opinions, pro vs cons etc..... we won't let you buy bad :poo:

All our AAD members buy quality :poo: :Dlol

Yeah another vote for wicked/auto air/createx line they have done well for me. It's really about the mix and air though. Once you get that, you should be able to spray anything. Then you'll start to see the difference in paints. Enamels and lacquer are another thing.

Question, I will buy white, black and 3 primaries in 4oz bottles, I'm between com-art, e'tac fx and CI, wich one do you recommend it most, for a newbie?

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Personal opinion from some one who was on the artistic back foot from the beginning... go with the Etac.
I started with createx illustration: All the reductions/pressure variables made my head hurt. I was having enough trouble trying to understand how to get the paint arranged on paper to look like something!
Once I tried the Etac there was a shift in the matrix and the planets started lining up!
Now I understand the process, the CI are easier to deal with.

Comart sprays great straight out of the bottle ,but I prefer to reduce 1-1 with trans base .

Comart sprays great straight out of the bottle ,but I prefer to reduce 1-1 with trans base .
Can't find the trans-base in coastairbrush nor chicago, where do you got it?

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Back