what paint to use for plastic??

RichardH

Detail Decepticon!
I have a bathroom sink that is some kind of plastic and was wanting to paint it. I would need something that is water proof when dried. The only paint I have that I think would work is Createx Wicked but just not sure. It would have to be sprayed a final coat of something clear also.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have a bathroom sink that is some kind of plastic and was wanting to paint it. I would need something that is water proof when dried. The only paint I have that I think would work is Createx Wicked but just not sure. It would have to be sprayed a final coat of something clear also.

I would suggest to use autobody repair lines of products. In this case, you'll have good results.
Your surface is more likely acrylic.
So, the steps:
plastic primer, primer, basecoat, clearcoat, sanding the clearcoat, making your artwork with your Wicked, clearcoating again, sanding and buffing. And you're there:)

I would suggest to use autobody repair lines of products. In this case, you'll have good results.
Your surface is more likely acrylic.
So, the steps:
plastic primer, primer, basecoat, clearcoat, sanding the clearcoat, making your artwork with your Wicked, clearcoating again, sanding and buffing. And you're there:)

I don't think he wants to do a custom job on the sink, I'm sure he just wants to restore it to showroom condition:)

I don't think he wants to do a custom job on the sink, I'm sure he just wants to restore it to showroom condition:)

Who knows:) Maybe @RichardH will tell what he expects from his work.
I've responded this way for he mentioned:
I would need something that is water proof when dried.
It would have to be sprayed a final coat of something clear also.

I was going to say, it is most likely acrylic.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...ub-and-Tile-Refinishing-Kit-7860519/202246270
These actually work really well. steer clear of the one part kits. Though i would tend to lean towards shopping the discount stores for a whole new sink.
Or heck for the extra $10
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier...Bathroom-Sink-in-White-13-0012-4WHD/100005263

Unless of course you are wanting to do a custom job on the sink. In which case I might go Vlads route.
Except I would finish with a clear epoxy, being indoors It would be excellent. Tough as nails and no need to sand or buff.
You could probably even get away with just scuffing it and using wicked then finishing with clear epoxy.
Wickeds adhesion to plastics, by itself is actually unbelievably good. If you're worried just add 4030.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Instead of painting it, I just went to Lowes and bought a new sink. I didn't have any intentions of painting a scene or something on it. Just needed a better looking one and found a white ceramic one cheaper than I could have bought the stuff to restore it.
Thanks for the info and advice on what to use. I might take the old one and play with it with the wicked paint. Maybe paint a skull and bones on it just for fun. It might make me think I am looking in a mirror while brushing my teeth. :eek::eek:lollollollol

Once you do try some wicked on plastic, you might be shocked. I was.
I tried it on lexan,HDPE, PET, and acrylic. With zero prep, apart from an alcohol wipe. After a couple days I could only get it to come off of the PET and it didn't come of easily. It had to be flexed into a very sharp angle, sometimes repeatedly or scratched pretty hard.

Once you do try some wicked on plastic, you might be shocked. I was.
I tried it on lexan,HDPE, PET, and acrylic. With zero prep, apart from an alcohol wipe. After a couple days I could only get it to come off of the PET and it didn't come of easily. It had to be flexed into a very sharp angle, sometimes repeatedly or scratched pretty hard.
As you said, adding 4030 to Wicked does make it really tough. I started adding it almost from day one as I’d seen a Createx video advising that it helped flow. But I didn’t know enough to understand why I couldn’t erase it while painting haha. It sticks like poop to a blanket!

I was going to say, it is most likely acrylic.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...ub-and-Tile-Refinishing-Kit-7860519/202246270
These actually work really well. steer clear of the one part kits. Though i would tend to lean towards shopping the discount stores for a whole new sink.
Or heck for the extra $10
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier...Bathroom-Sink-in-White-13-0012-4WHD/100005263

Unless of course you are wanting to do a custom job on the sink. In which case I might go Vlads route.
Except I would finish with a clear epoxy, being indoors It would be excellent. Tough as nails and no need to sand or buff.
You could probably even get away with just scuffing it and using wicked then finishing with clear epoxy.
Wickeds adhesion to plastics, by itself is actually unbelievably good. If you're worried just add 4030.

Hi please may I ask what is 4030? Sorry still learning... very new at this!!

Back