What tha heck is this?!

I basically want a chameleon but in black and red. I know "chameleon" paints only seem to come in green purple and orange colors. But those are interference paints as well correct? Kind of the same thing as these ghost pearls

Yes chameleon paints are mica flake mixed with a pigment binder.

I was just showing my wife interference paints and what they do yesterday. Ironic.

New to the forums but as a custom bike painter look up brandywine candy from house of color. You'll use galaxy grey for the base coat that will give you lighter to darker flip flop in the light. Then the brandywine over the galaxy grey. If you want a true flip flop and a deep look you'll need to go with the actual Kandy and not a tinted intercoat as you won't be able to layer and get depth the same way. The more coats of Kandy the darker the color becomes.

c56afcbf69de1c32d3ef82fca2824a0f.jpg

My bike

New to the forums but as a custom bike painter look up brandywine candy from house of color. You'll use galaxy grey for the base coat that will give you lighter to darker flip flop in the light. Then the brandywine over the galaxy grey. If you want a true flip flop and a deep look you'll need to go with the actual Kandy and not a tinted intercoat as you won't be able to layer and get depth the same way. The more coats of Kandy the darker the color becomes.

Wow awesome bike! I've been looking at the brandywine HOK actually. Will def go with that method thanks! By real candy I assume you mean their kandy koncentrate mixed with an inter coat clear specific to that koncentrate?

Wow awesome bike! I've been looking at the brandywine HOK actually. Will def go with that method thanks! By real candy I assume you mean their kandy koncentrate mixed with an inter coat clear specific to that koncentrate?
By real Kandy I mean their catalyzed tinted clear usually has a uk then a number like UK12. You can stack coats with that and gives a much deeper look. You can get around 6 to 8 coats with that. Granted your film thickness will be more then using a tinted intercoat. You also need to clear it with a regular clear with some decent uv protection I like to use their UC35 clear for bikes. You can go the intercoat clear method as well but generally can only get away with about 4 coats unless reduced 1:1 this will also need to be cleared. Kandy is tricky to get even so make sure u have a decent hvlp gun setup and hit a minimum of %50 overlaps when spraying.

Yeah I'm going to do some practice before I hit the guitar. But it is a guitar so don't want the clear to be too thick. Especially since I'm putting it on top of another clear layer instead of sanding down to wood. I'll give HOK a call and ask them about those products though. I'm only seeing the koncentrates and bases on coastairbrush.com

If it's a guitar go with the intercoat. I should have read through the post better. Brandywine candy koncentrate mixed in sg100 intercoat clear, over BC03 galaxy grey will give u the results your after.

First pass don't pound the color on just make sure it's an even color then mix in more koncentrate or give a more wet coat. Make sure your gun fan is set to wide open with 50% or 75% passes.

Oh ok cool! I watched the video on the new auto air o2 candies which was helpful but I do a lot of paint spraying for other stuff so I should be able to get the spray pattern down. Going to cut out plywood in the shape of a guitar for practice. What's your opinion on the auto air candies? People say they're amazing but I don't think I can get that red to black fade with them

I do mostly automotive paint. So I like my house of colors. They have a good system and good quality. I've never used the auto air candies. So I can't really say anything about them. But with house of colors u can mix and match add intercoat clear to get your own mixture or even mix a HOK solid base color in thier intercoat to give you a bit of a candy.

You may be able to get that flip flop with the auto air if u find the right metallic to go under the candy.

Ahh ok. Well since you do automotive, I have a road bicycle that needs to be painted. can I just sand down to the aluminum and put a candy over that for max shine? Or do I need a base coat over the bare metal

Aluminum is tricky. Can't remember what its called but there is a product that changes its composition to a metal that the paint can adhere to. It needs to be super clean and an etch primer can be used successfully as well. But scuffed up, wiped down clean with tack rags degreased, etch primed and so on. So in short u may be able to get away with going with a Kandy over it if it's cleaned properly and u use a catalyzed Kandy and not an intercoat mixed candy. Otherwise lots of steps involved.

Could probably get away with using a clear adhesion promoter then candy over it. After properly scuffing and cleaning the aluminum.

Its likely been mentioned above, to get that effect its so simple its actually difficult.. Base color-whatever ya want. Lay a silver over it or any lighter metallic, the effect looks good with golds and such as well (Also mentioned above I think)..Then just one candy layer at a time..Put enough layers on you get to black or near black..Thats when it looks really deep also and thats the effect most high end jobs go for, depth created by multiple candy layering. its easy in the sense it just a case of continually spaying until you reach the depth/darkness you feel required, hard in the fact that its not as easy as picking up a gun and doing it and it can get expensive..Worth trying perhaps the metallics posted but you will not get the full depth of a candy over a metallic. Similar effects can also be created with the xcrylic style paints, especially mutli color change and especially in the right light, these can be laid on top also of metallics or plain light bases or even black and come in golds, mother of pearl, blues, purples and greens. They spray on almost clear but when it catchs the sun in just the right way, it will make it almost glow....Good luck

Thanks @RebelAir haha. I've always wanted this effect on multiple projects so I'm just going to get a few kinds of paint and test it out. If it's too hard for me I'll have to take some classes in it I guess. Not going to give up on it, it's an amazing effect and I'm determined haha

6b657917e4029993ba9a3601ebdd98fd.jpg

Forgot to put the photo up. Too late here in Ohio
So the effect was black, then silver metal flake, then red candy. Turned out amazing, just what I wanted. Picture doesn't show the amazing glow it has

Back