what to replace my Silent air compressor with...

bex

Mac-Valve Maestro!
my silent air compressor is literally dieing a death as we speak... there's more oil being spewed out of my compressor that my airlines have two oil traps that are starting to be overwhelmed, and its also running down the sides of the tank so its starting to over heat shut off and starting to sound like its broken.

I have fixed this up quite a few times, i've replaced parts and seals an i think its probably time i look for something to replace it with.

but it needs to be something long lasting , portable so i can take to events, probably a little smaller and definitely lighter than the silent air i have as thats a bit too bulky was a pain taking it to Germany last year and i got some funny looks as it wasn't as small and portable as everyone elses. not sure weather any branded compressors are better than just a cheapy typical amazon find. last one of those i bought didn't last long as it couldn't cope with the amount of hours i used it for , i paint for long hours at a time.

if you have a compressor suggestion that you've tried , liked , use, please post what it is so i can go do some comparing and research on my next buy.

I have a Bambi BB 24V, but not sure it's as portable as you would like. A Good quiet compressor though and doesn't take
up much room.

Reactions: bex
Hi,

The issue with cheaper units vs brand ones, on any type of equipment, is serviceability. Trying to save $100, I wasted $300 on cheap water pump system replacement for my emergency water reservoir (I live in hurricane alley so I have power and water redundancy systems among others). It failed within months and to my surprise, it was not serviceable. Learned my lesson and went with a quality system with spare parts availability.
Imagine how much paint I could have bought with those $300... :)

Thanks,
Ismael

so i bought a £100 table top compressor - cheap - but both mine had died and i desperately needed something. i'm not sure im impressed, i've had one like this before about 8 years back but i don't remember it sounding so underpowered or cutting in all the time.

basiclly i have ptfe taped the lot of it and it still cuts in even when not used every 5 minutes.. cant find a leak or reason. and it sounds like the piston is moving so slow to charge it. maybe i'm just used to how my old compressor sounded. this thing had good reviews online.. this things going to get on my nerves really quickly i can tell.

if you have a table top compressor how often do they kick in and how do they handle running all day everyday, do you airbrush for long periods of time with them?

I have a cheap table top compressor as a back up and it kicks in all the time and runs hot if I use it for longer periods of time so I ditched it and went for a silent oil filled compressor and only keept the table top one as a back up just in case

I have a cheap table top compressor as a back up and it kicks in all the time and runs hot if I use it for longer periods of time so I ditched it and went for a silent oil filled compressor and only keept the table top one as a back up just in case
thats my worry with this one i 've just bought - its sound when refilling the tank, it just doesn't give me hope of it lasting long with how i paint. the oil filled silent ones i just broke 2 of mine - i had the one i used daily and a spares one which i started to use after the main one broke, but that also gave up the ghost within a short time. i'm going to have to look around and maybe do some research see if theres a tiny version of the silent oil ones i can buy. i know bambis are suppose to be really good and the clarke shhh air i had lasted 5 years (second hand) - hopefully this table top one lasts that long enough for me to find a long term soloution lol.

For more than 15 years I have had a compressor that consists of a Danfoss refrigerator compressor and a boiler that I made using an old butane cylinder, which couldn't be cheaper at that time. it works perfectly . The day it breaks I will put in another refrigerator motor and it will be solved. It does not make noise, nor does it produce oil. If you want it to be portable, you make a structure like a shopping cart and that's it! There are very cool brand name compressors but they are very expensive if you compare them to DIY. In Spain we use a second-hand items app, wallapop, where you can find real bargains on compressors. If mine broke, maybe I would buy a second-hand brand, but new in the store I doubt it, my budget is limited.

While we all like a bargain and cheap fix, can I just add that you should only do this if you know what you are doing! pressurised tanks are a tad bit dangerous when filled with air! so please take care, stay safe, and if in doubt, just say no :thumbsup: :cool:

Example of cheap wallapop oportunities

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240612_152525_Wallapop.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_152525_Wallapop.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240612_152643_Wallapop.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_152643_Wallapop.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240612_152727_Wallapop.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_152727_Wallapop.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240612_153007_Wallapop.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_153007_Wallapop.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240612_153159_Wallapop.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_153159_Wallapop.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240612_153238_Wallapop.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_153238_Wallapop.jpg
    697.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240612_153442_Wallapop.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_153442_Wallapop.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240612_154138_Wallapop.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_154138_Wallapop.jpg
    771.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240612_155452_Wallapop.jpg
    Screenshot_20240612_155452_Wallapop.jpg
    668.1 KB · Views: 3
You can always check if it holds up by putting water under pressure. In the event of an explosion, the water, if it is not compressed, would burst the boiler but it would not explode. That way you can check if it can hold the pressure without risk. On Amazon you have cheap hydraulic lever pumps and their item return system is wonderful.

While we all like a bargain and cheap fix, can I just add that you should only do this if you know what you are doing! pressurised tanks are a tad bit dangerous when filled with air! so please take care, stay safe, and if in doubt, just say no :thumbsup: :cool:
You can always check if it holds up by putting water under pressure. In the event of an explosion, the water, if it is not compressed, would burst the boiler but it would not explode. That way you can check if it can hold the pressure without risk. On Amazon you have cheap hydraulic lever pumps and their item return system is wonderful.

^^^ That's a very good point on the dangerous home made contraptions.
Here is a Model Cars forum post from yours truly back in 2006.

1718200373394.png

1718200428899.png

That compressor is now a 30+ years old home made Frankenstein unit. Ex-propane tank, junkyard car AC compressor, washing machine motor. I did not build it. I bought it from a friend and he used it for years before I got it.
1718202886498.png

Thanks,
Ismael

I have a Silentaire 20A and love it. I've been using a SmartJet for years that works flawlessly but when I got the illustration bug, I needed something that would get me through hours of spraying, not a 20-30 minute session on a model.

I recently added a Power Jet Studio Pro, while the tank is small, it works very well and doesn't push the duty cycle at all no matter how long I go (using a Micron with little air demand). I actually like the Iwata better a bit better, it's slightly louder than the Silentaire but not much and honestly I have the exhaust fan and music going anyway, it's not like I'm spraying in a library. If was to do it over again, I'd just get 2 of the Iwata so I wouldn't have to mess with the oil, oil filters, or possible air contamination.

Thats just my recent experience, so take it for what its worth. I used the same Badger cast iron, tankless comp and HP-BC2 for 30 years before I bought any other airbrush kit, including a needle or nozzle. The only part over that span was a crown cap that I lost (and found about an hour after I got the replacement).

@bex take Ian’s advice, you already need bound in bubble wrap 🤣

i have a huge compressor down stair in my spray booth, which i used when i was custom painting cars - i could bring that out of retirement and run a hose from it upstairs to my airbrushing studio. - but the things is huge industrial sized and extremely loud. so its not perfect for airbrushing.

i do think myself trying to frankenstien a compressor is a bad idea - electrics and anything that could potentially be a hazard i should stay away from lol. but its great that some of you have the skill to do that, thats an awesome way to make the perfect tool for the job!

i have a huge compressor down stair in my spray booth, which i used when i was custom painting cars - i could bring that out of retirement and run a hose from it upstairs to my airbrushing studio. - but the things is huge industrial sized and extremely loud. so its not perfect for airbrushing.

i do think myself trying to frankenstien a compressor is a bad idea - electrics and anything that could potentially be a hazard i should stay away from lol. but its great that some of you have the skill to do that, thats an awesome way to make the perfect tool for the job!
Just put headphones on and listen to all the music in the song of the day thread 🤗

Back