What will I need?

D

Decryptionally

[Solved]What will I need?

New sotar came in with my moisture trap and stuff, seems the moisture trap is not working. Anyways, what will I need exactly to run my sotar to the compressor alone? What hose? I have a hose I used on my Iwata Neo, does not fit. Any help is helpful

Last edited by a moderator:
New sotar came in with my moisture trap and stuff, seems the moisture trap is not working. Anyways, what will I need exactly to run my sotar to the compressor alone? What hose? I have a hose I used on my Iwata Neo, does not fit. Any help is helpful

Are you absolutely sure your moisture trap isn't working, a lot of the time they come with control knob closed, you have to pull it up to unlock it and then turn it clockwise although it could be counter clockwise depending on the make, all that happens with it is air goes through it and gets filtered so being closed is the only reason it wouldn't work, so check this before you write it off.

It's not advisable to work without it, since you'll get water in your air hose and it will mix with your air and cause irregular and frustrating spray characteristics, you really don't want this, if your not sure what your doing, try taking the moisture trap loose to a nearby garage or body shop and ask them nicely to check it out for you. I'm sure because of your age they will do this for free, and you can have chat with them, tell them what you plan to do with it, and they will get interested and offer you job when your sixteen, we call this "The Domino effect". lol

If you get a badger male quick disconnect nipple, and a standard quick disconnect set for Iwata , you can have a male for the sotar, a male for the neo, and a female for the hose, and only need the one hose.

Also if you need to adapt the hose to a standard 1/4 fitting, you will want a 1/8"-1/4" adapter, but get an airbrush type. Airbrush hoses are metric not standard pipe thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here is a pic that is out there in the forum in a few threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1388855007.161359.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1388855007.161359.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 18
Also your compressor may just not have made much water for the trap to really catch anything? (I'm assuming your talking a mounted trap on the compressor itself or is it a mini trap attached to your gun?) The trap generally pulls out the really fine condensation created and it may be hours before you really see any build up of moisture..If your getting water in your line coming through, this can also be created by condensation in the line itself, after the trap..Condensation becomes an issue generally when the outside temperature is much cooler than the compressed air temperature or when painting in high humidity as the compressor will also draw in a lot of air moisture, if your painting in warmer dry conditions you may find condensation isn't a big issue and you may not produce much of it at all..GL hope ya get it sorted..

I got my moisture trap working, so I think I will now need totally new stuff. The hose I used was 1/4 and 1/8 I believe, and the 1/8 obviously went into my Neo. Well, now I got the moisture trap working, and I think its meant for 1/8 to 1/8 hoses, because it is using the 1/8 side (the moisture trap is). What will I need now? My 1/8 is in the moisture trap, and the 1/4 is open, where obviously my sotar does not fit. Will I only need a 1/4 to 1/8? Will I need anything else?

I got my moisture trap working, so I think I will now need totally new stuff. The hose I used was 1/4 and 1/8 I believe, and the 1/8 obviously went into my Neo. Well, now I got the moisture trap working, and I think its meant for 1/8 to 1/8 hoses, because it is using the 1/8 side (the moisture trap is). What will I need now? My 1/8 is in the moisture trap, and the 1/4 is open, where obviously my sotar does not fit. Will I only need a 1/4 to 1/8? Will I need anything else?

I would personally get a quick disconnect MAC Valve to regulate your air right at the brush. The connector that comes with this will fit your existing Neo.
Grex G-MAC MAC Valve with Quick Connect Coupler and Plug - Amazon.com

This adapter will put it on your Moisture trap so it will go from the current 1/8" to 1/4" so you can reverse your hose and get the 1/8" end back at the airbrush.
Amazon.com: Master Airbrush® Brand 1/4" Male X 1/8" Female Fitting/adaptor for the Tc Air Compressor: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Get two Badger Male QD's, one for your Sotar and one for your Krome, you can then easily switch between them.
Amazon.com: Badger Air-Brush Co. 51-038 Quick Disconnect Plug: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

I would personally get a quick disconnect MAC Valve to regulate your air right at the brush. The connector that comes with this will fit your existing Neo.
Grex G-MAC MAC Valve with Quick Connect Coupler and Plug - Amazon.com

This adapter will put it on your Moisture trap so it will go from the current 1/8" to 1/4" so you can reverse your hose and get the 1/8" end back at the airbrush.
Amazon.com: Master Airbrush® Brand 1/4" Male X 1/8" Female Fitting/adaptor for the Tc Air Compressor: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Get two Badger Male QD's, one for your Sotar and one for your Krome, you can then easily switch between them.
Amazon.com: Badger Air-Brush Co. 51-038 Quick Disconnect Plug: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

The last one will fit fine on my Iwata hose, correct?

The first one( G-Mac) fits the Iwata hose, the last one( 51-038) fits only on Badger airbrushes.

I have a badger airbrush, just an Iwata hose. Thats why im trying to get this all hooked up. Wondering if the last thing will fit onto my Iwata hose then into my Badger airbrush fine.

So I have a badger sotar, and an iwata hose. The 1/8 end of the Iwata hose goes into the regulator/moisture trap, and then the 1/4 is sticking out. So I need to get an adapter so that I use the 1/4 on the moisture trap instead of sticking out, and then an adapter for the 1/8 Iwata to fit onto a Badger. Can someone link me to these? Or tell me if those last 2 work? Thanks :p!

Decrypt,
I told you about the M5 Badger airbrush fitting to 1/8th air hose connector in another thread and I put photographs for you. Also WhiteKnight put a link for one in the 2nd post of this thread. So I say please take a breath and read the answers people give you slowly and carefully.

I can't help you with the connector at the compressor end of your hose but here is a link to Amazon.com for a Badger airbrush to Iwata 1/8th air hose connector: Click on this link: Amazon.com: Badger Air-Brush Company Iwata Hose Adaptor: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Got it all done. I Got a 1/4 to 1/4 coupler to put in the trap, and a brand new Badger hose. Thanks everyone!

Back