For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

What's the story on being "Clear"?

Discussion in 'What would you like to learn here?' started by splasha, Aug 23, 2014.

1. splasha

splasha Detail Decepticon!

Hi, All.
    After having read some of the threads asking about "how to" clear coat stuff, would it be possible for one of you talented peeps to put together a series of S-B-S 's showing us noobs how the various systems are supposed to work? And maybe what sort of results we could expect from them.
    Not being real up to date with the latest fad in protecting my art, I would like some instruction/advice on how to do it properly and with what.
    Thanks,
    Splasha
  2. Need to be a little more specific as to the substrate. It's different between clearing over metal, wood, canvas etc. You have epoxy, waterborne, 2k,1k, acrylic etc clear systems. Then you have matte (flat), satin (semi gloss) then you start getting into high solids clears, rattle can, brush on etc.
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  3. sevastra

sevastra Needle-chuck Ninja

Clear coat goes first? Or can it go afterwards to get a wet look? Does it even work on a airbrushing paper?
  4. splasha

Basically working on guessoed canvas and assorted density papers at the moment, but willing to experiment with other stuff.
    Are there diffgerent sorts of clears for specific substrates?
  5. The purpose of clear is to protect artwork from the elements. If it's just on paper and will always be indoor or mounted behind glass, doesn't need anything. If it's automotive or sees UV rays or can be abused, then it needs a clear. Matte clear on paper for protection and a regular gloss to make it shiny and not so dull. Back in the day we used to wash egg whites over a finished oil painting for a glossy finish. Really just depends on the look and protection you after. Stuff like gold leaf on government buildings has no clear, it's just raw gold. Only reason we clear it is because of the elements from the road and being handled.
  6. splasha

Thanks, Immortal C.
    So when I decide that my works are finished and I've chosen to frame or mount them, I shouldn't worry about the surface if it's going 'under glass', so to speak?
  7. spazticchild

spazticchild Guest

If you do airbrush on paper, poster board, or canvases, I use what they call a fixative. Its something you spray over pencil,pen or charcoal drawings to prevent paper from yellowing and getting smeared.
    Immortal Concepts likes this.
  8. Thanks, fixative kept skipping my mind. I could see the can and remember using it on canvas but couldn't remember what it was called for the life of me.
  9. spazticchild

spazticchild Guest

I use it on my canvas works.
  10. splasha

Is this applied as a finishing coat / sealer to the final works?
    Just curious.
  11. spazticchild

spazticchild Guest

Yup.. I use the matte fixative. Keeps the glare off of the canvas. Nothing like having a bright light spot in your eyes from a reflecting ceiling light.
  12. splasha

I guess we'd all better be careful of where we hang stuff then.
    Don't want to be blinded by the glare.
    Don't mind being dazzled by the works, though! Lmao!
    MeeshellMP likes this.
  13. spazticchild

spazticchild Guest