What's up from Virginia Beach, VA (:

• Thread starter Nicoleedevinn0321
  • Start date
N

Nicoleedevinn0321

Hello everyone,
My name is Nicole,I'm 20, I've been airbrushing for a week now!
I have the badger 155 anthem, I use spectra paint, but I don't know if those are good to use or not considering I haven't been into it for long! I feel like I've gotten better over the week but my airbrush seems to get clogged and spatters more often then it should! :/ HELP! How do I stop it from clogging!

my mom has airbrushed most of my childhood, for cake decorating!
I figured if I've always been pretty good at drawing why not try to airbrush!

Welcome, this is the place to come, you'll get lots of help. I know I have improved in the short time I have been here. :)

Welcome to the forum Nicole. I hope you enjoy it here. Have you tried reducing your paint?

Welcome Nicole.....That problem you're having with clogging could be caused from the paint being too thick, try reducing it a little and see how that goes and try and keep the needle clean pause every now and again and just wipe the tip.....if you still have the problem them it's possible that the nozzle needs a good cleaning....:)

here is a link to a review of your airbrush by a great English artist Ashley Brayson...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M_PZXGX724 ....:)

as for your paint, I have never tried spectra but being that they are made by the same company as your air bush, they should be no problem at all...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nicole welcome aboard. I have some Spectra Tex paints here and i found out that specialy the white and black dry very quickly on the tip of your needle.
If they are not reduced it happens faster then with reduced paints. I got a bottle of the Spectra Tex Extender base here that is used for reducing them, and when i
mix it like 1:3 or higher it gets better. Means 1 part paint to 3 parts of the Extender Base. But like slipery said, you have to take a look at the needle pretty often if
there is a build up that is blocking fresh paint to come out. If there is a build up it always happends that you have to pull more far back to get paint and then
suddenly a big splatter happends lol.

I didn't think I needed to reduce the paint that was for an airbrush, but everytime I airbrush I wipe the tip. All I've been practicing with is black on a piece of glass and since you say it dries faster that could be my problem. I heard you can use windex for a reducer, is that true ??

Hi Nicole welcome aboard. I have some Spectra Tex paints here and i found out that specialy the white and black dry very quickly on the tip of your needle.
If they are not reduced it happens faster then with reduced paints. I got a bottle of the Spectra Tex Extender base here that is used for reducing them, and when i
mix it like 1:3 or higher it gets better. Means 1 part paint to 3 parts of the Extender Base. But like slipery said, you have to take a look at the needle pretty often if
there is a build up that is blocking fresh paint to come out. If there is a build up it always happends that you have to pull more far back to get paint and then
suddenly a big splatter happends lol.

I didn't think I needed to reduce the paint that was for an airbrush, but everytime I airbrush I wipe the tip. All I've been practicing with is black on a piece of glass and since you say it dries faster that could be my problem. I heard you can use windex for a reducer, is that true ??

I also heard that some use Windex as a reducer for paints, but im not sure if the Spectra Tex can be reduced with Windex. Usualy its better to use the reducer that belongs to the
paints that you are using. For practicing you can also just reduce them with water though. Not sure how they will stick to a hard surface then, but you can use a paper for practicing too.

I also heard that some use Windex as a reducer for paints, but im not sure if the Spectra Tex can be reduced with Windex. Usualy its better to use the reducer that belongs to the
paints that you are using. For practicing you can also just reduce them with water though. Not sure how they will stick to a hard surface then, but you can use a paper for practicing too.

I use windex for a cleaning agent....I wouldn't use it for reducing, with water based paints, reducing with water works fine, it's only a catalyst to change the paints viscosity, once it evaporates the paint is the same

Last edited by a moderator:
hi nicole... i have heard of others using windex also but you have to make your own brew, straight windex doesnt cut it. you need a bit of glycerine and also distilled water i think, or de-ionised water or something like that..... better off using the branded reducer intended for that paint or at a push water...

once again a warm welcome....... get some photos of your work in the work in progress section as soon as you start/finish anything for the most helpful friendly constructive advice/criticism you will find on the tinterweb

I would post a picture but I'm only a week into it, no project just practice!
plus I do everything from my iPhone an it won't let me upload pictures from my iPhone to the forum.
Sorry :/

poor exscuse.....hehe. time is a man made concept anyhow, what us important is that you are airbrushing now.when you post in a thread click the little photo frame with a tree in it on the tool bar, it's about 5 boxes to the right from the bold/italic buttons.them click upload from computer or basic uploader...this may work for you.......anyone else use an iphone to upload pics, how do you guys do it?

Hi Nicole! Good on you for coming here! So many more people to help u out rather than waiting for me..
The equipment you've got is good. Make sure your psi is set to 25 and your black shouldn't need any reducer through the 155. I'd recommend you get an 'airbrush cleaner' solution and soak your airbrush in it for a half hour then clean it out as good as you can, run your needle gently into the tip with it all dismantled and use a cotton bud or cue tip to clean the body. If problems persist let us know! Rest assured your equipment is good:)

Back