when to walk away?????

RichardH

Detail Decepticon!
I know this is a silly question but when do you say a painting is finished. In my world, I would say it has reached my ability and knowledge of the paint and airbrush. I am working on a pot with apples around it and each time I walk away to get a cup of coffee, I see something that needs a little more attention and spray a little more. Whether it made it better or worse I can't tell. If I can get my camera to working I'll take a photo and post it. Maybe should set a time to show it and that way everyone that wants to see it will be around for a group laugh.lollollollollollol

Richard

I find I get to a point where I could spend ages adjusting, tweaking but eventually say enough is enough, I'll learn how to do that better next time - the answer is really when you are happy that you've gone as far as you can. For me It's the point where I worry that my tweak will become a major repair...

You need to stop walking away:)

In my case it's time to call it a day when everything I do starts to make it look worse:confused:

You'll know when it's done, you'll reach a point where you can't see anything that needs changing, but if you leave it overnight without looking at it again till the next day, some little things may catch your eye which you can choose fix or simply leave alone in case you do damage you can't fix, whatever happens, you'll reach a stage that's acceptable to you and since it's your work, you can stop.

Well I took a photo of it and i'll post it in a little while. Need to run it through Photoshop first.

You have to tune your gut and teach your mind to let go. I learnt this with make making music which is almost the same in tweakablity. Just take what you learned on that project and put into the next.
Or
When you cant tell the difference between your picrure and the reference :)

You have to tune your gut and teach your mind to let go. I learnt this with make making music which is almost the same in tweakablity. Just take what you learned on that project and put into the next.
Or
When you cant tell the difference between your picrure and the reference :)

Hey musicmacd, What do you play. I play at a steel guitar and bass. Love the steel but being older than dirt now, I don't get out much to play it. In the case it weighs 85 lbs. and hard to haul it around anymore.

Richard

Hey musicmacd, What do you play. I play at a steel guitar and bass. Love the steel but being older than dirt now, I don't get out much to play it. In the case it weighs 85 lbs. and hard to haul it around anymore.

Richard
I program Synths and samplers and produce drum n bass and techno, not really a "musician" more of an engineer!

I find the best place to stop and say ok this ones finished is about an hour before I tear it up and throw it in the trash bin!:sour:

to me a painting is finished when I reach that point I cant do anything to improve it or when I get bored with it :D

Richard

I play around a bit on a six string Ibanez electric, but I was so amazed at the sound of a guy playing on youtube on a lap steel slide guitar, I loved it so much I wanted one, being left handed I didn't think I would have able to find one so I built my own, you can see it here, I had a lot of fun doing the research and then finally getting to boulders it, the building stage took around 40 hours including the paint job, I can't tell how proud I was when I plugged it in for the for the first time and not only did it work but sound was just beautiful:)

Mine weighs less than 10 pounds but I would assume yours is a pedal steel? I would love to see a photo of that, they are beautiful instruments.

to me a painting is finished when I reach that point I cant do anything to improve it or when I get bored with it :D

Hey Ronald, I am to the point of not bored with it. I am at the point of not knowing what or how to make it a little more realistic or not so painted looking.
Thanks
Richard

I play around a bit on a six string Ibanez electric, but I was so amazed at the sound of a guy playing on youtube on a lap steel slide guitar, I loved it so much I wanted one, being left handed I didn't think I would have able to find one so I built my own, you can see it here, I had a lot of fun doing the research and then finally getting to boulders it, the building stage took around 40 hours including the paint job, I can't tell how proud I was when I plugged it in for the for the first time and not only did it work but sound was just beautiful:)

Mine weighs less than 10 pounds but I would assume yours is a pedal steel? I would love to see a photo of that, they are beautiful instruments.

Hey Mad, Yes it is a pedal steel. This one is the only one I have now and it is stored in my outbuilding. I have had 3 pedal steels, 2 lap steels, 1 dobro and numerous bars and amps. I play in a band that is 1 1/2 hour drive from me. I mostly play the bass now. It is a fender short neck. Yours looks great. Would like to hear it. Country music now doesn't have steels. Very few are still in major groups. It sure makes the song when they are singing a sad or drunk song. :cry:lol

Richard

Hey Mad, Yes it is a pedal steel. This one is the only one I have now and it is stored in my outbuilding. I have had 3 pedal steels, 2 lap steels, 1 dobro and numerous bars and amps. I play in a band that is 1 1/2 hour drive from me. I mostly play the bass now. It is a fender short neck. Yours looks great. Would like to hear it. Country music now doesn't have steels. Very few are still in major groups. It sure makes the song when they are singing a sad or drunk song. :cry:lol

Richard

There is a video of mine being tested in the same thread, I had played one before so don't expect too much, lol I am planning to build another one maybe a little more intricate with possibly 8 strings and made out of a nice piece of walnut or some other beautiful hardwood, since mine was finished I've hardly ever played my standard electric.

I've never had any real music lessons, I basically just grab whatever takes my fancy and get something out of it.

I agree that country music just isn't the same without the steel sound crying along with the singer, although I personally prefer instrumental stuff than the actual singing, ever since I was a child, if I ever watched a band, my eye was always on the instruments being, I remember seeing a lot of live bands, I can't remember what the band members looked like but can always remember what instruments they played:)

I dream about owning a Gretch white falcon, but after showing my wife the price tag, I'm afraid that will have to remain a dream:(

I have an old box that previously contained two bottles of wine and was also thinking of building a cigar box guitar out of it just for fun, I can't believe the cool sounds them thar hillbilly folks get out of those, lol

If you do not know what it needs, you are finished. At the point you want to tweak it but cannot determine exactly what needs to happen, you will ruin it.

I have binned many decent pieces trying to "i will just fix this one thing" with that said i would imagine i will destroy many more!

There is a video of mine being tested in the same thread, I had played one before so don't expect too much, lol I am planning to build another one maybe a little more intricate with possibly 8 strings and made out of a nice piece of walnut or some other beautiful hardwood, since mine was finished I've hardly ever played my standard electric.

I've never had any real music lessons, I basically just grab whatever takes my fancy and get something out of it.

I agree that country music just isn't the same without the steel sound crying along with the singer, although I personally prefer instrumental stuff than the actual singing, ever since I was a child, if I ever watched a band, my eye was always on the instruments being, I remember seeing a lot of live bands, I can't remember what the band members looked like but can always remember what instruments they played:)

I dream about owning a Gretch white falcon, but after showing my wife the price tag, I'm afraid that will have to remain a dream:(

I have an old box that previously contained two bottles of wine and was also thinking of building a cigar box guitar out of it just for fun, I can't believe the cool sounds them thar hillbilly folks get out of those, lol
You really should come visit sometime with your love of the music. I am sure i can dig up a few hillbillies around here !

Back