When you accidently find the thing which was missing in noobs world for better motivation

huskystafford

Needle chucking Ninja
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Why didn't I found this sooner... Each tutorial I watched or bought there was plenty of talking about dagger strokes and the usually stuff which beginner needs to learn. I was patience and I was doing bloody dagger strokes which are boring as hell. I almost rolled with my eyes when I was walking to my easel preparing my self to have another dagger stroke practise.
Stencil works is easy, so I will not waste your time. You make a stencil, you spray and you are done. But without stencils is a different thing :D Bloody dagger strokes, dots and blends. I made so many of those , that I went one day to store and bought 500sheets of a3 paper so I will have enough for practising those. And they are booooooring...
So few days ago I was browsing this forum and looking at topics and all the knowledge forum members are willingly sharing about all stuff in airbrush world. And by accident I found post from Robbyrockett2 where he mentioned using color books for practise. I was thinking about that and went and print cars 3 picture, I put 30% grey and went to practise. Damn that was quite fun! And it was first, more like test. The next day I made the same with Dead pool and had a blast with it. I enjoyed practise, even if I had hard time with it. But I enjoy it. And today I am going to do spiderman! :D

This is so much fun. I really had enough of those dagger bloody strokes and I enjoy doing color books. So bottom line, thanks Robbyrocket for best advice, which was not meant to me. But still, this is probably the best advice for noobs and their motivation.

Here is a picture of my ugly dead pool, I know it is bad, I am realistic, but I enjoyed while I was doing it. It so ugly ,that I was thinking not to post it, but what the hell. If some noob see how ugly is, maybe he will feel better with his work :D The next dead pool will be better :p
WP_20180204_001.jpg

Last edited:
@Robbyrockett2 throws a lot of ideas out there. One of them had to stick eventually lollol. Seriously though, that's a great example of the forum working! Have a read through and stumble on the answer to a question you didn't know you had. Awesome. And your Deadpool doesn't look ugly, I think a to of the principles are displayed in your work. That's a plus!

Why didn't I found this sooner... Each tutorial I watched or bought there was plenty of talking about dagger strokes and the usually stuff which beginner needs to learn. I was patience and I was doing bloody dagger strokes which are boring as hell. I almost rolled with my eyes when I was walking to my easel preparing my self to have another dagger stroke practise.
Stencil works is easy, so I will not waste your time. You make a stencil, you spray and you are done. But without stencils is a different thing :D Bloody dagger strokes, dots and blends. I made so many of those , that I went one day to store and bought 500sheets of a3 paper so I will have enough for practising those. And they are booooooring...
So few days ago I was browsing this forum and looking at topics and all the knowledge forum members are willingly sharing about all stuff in airbrush world. And by accident I found post from Robbyrockett2 where he mentioned using color books for practise. I was thinking about that and when and print cars 3 picture, I put 30% grey and went to practise. Damn that was quite fun! And it was first, more like test. The next day I made the same with Dead pool and had a blast with it. I enjoyed practise, even if I had hard time with it. But I enjoy it. And today I am going to do spiderman! :D

This is so much fun. I really had enough of those dagger bloody strokes and I enjoy doing color books. So bottom line, thanks Robbyrocket for best advice, which was not meant to me. But still, this is probably the best advice for noobs and their motivation.

Here is a picture of my ugly dead pool, I know it is bad, I am realistic, but I enjoyed while I was doing it. It so ugly ,that I was thinking not to post it, but what the hell. If some noob see how ugly is, maybe he will feel better with his work :D The next dead pool will be better :p
View attachment 52295

That was not me actually.

I think that looks pretty good! And you are spot on in what you're saying. I believe things like this help because it puts your dots and lines and daggers into a context- you are learning how they work in a piece.

I relate a lot of airbrushing to learning how to play an instrument. I've always encouraged people to "just play something" - do the lesson book for 20 minutes then just noodle around and make some noise. I think it engages a different part of the brain. You stop micro-managing the skills and focus on something more artistic.

So few days ago I was browsing this forum and looking at topics and all the knowledge forum members are willingly sharing about all stuff in airbrush world. And by accident I found post from Robbyrockett2 where he mentioned using color books for practise. I was thinking about that and went and print cars 3 picture, I put 30% grey and went to practise. Damn that was quite fun! And it was first, more like test. The next day I made the same with Dead pool and had a blast with it. I enjoyed practise, even if I had hard time with it. But I enjoy it. And today I am going to do spiderman! :D

Here is a picture of my ugly dead pool, I know it is bad, I am realistic, but I enjoyed while I was doing it. It so ugly ,that I was thinking not to post it, but what the hell. If some noob see how ugly is, maybe he will feel better with his work :D The next dead pool will be better [emoji14]
View attachment 52295

I had done both of it, and each of it had its own benefit, might be a "muscle memory" and etc, but those dagger still 1 of the essential curve of practicing for me on doing tshirt, just IMHO, and doing the actual thing is what practice are to me. [emoji3]

Sent from Knockoff i-Fone [emoji14]

Just do a page of your basics every time you go to start some artwork. It helps you tune in your pressure and orient you to how your equipment is gonna work today and keeps your accuracy up. I really dont believe anyone was meant to master the basics before they could paint anything else.

Just do a page of your basics every time you go to start some artwork. It helps you tune in your pressure and orient you to how your equipment is gonna work today and keeps your accuracy up. I really dont believe anyone was meant to master the basics before they could paint anything else.
thanks for advice, Gonna do that. :)

my free hand vs stencil :D
WP_20180201_005.jpg

this is working t-shirt which I made for my dad. He is a plumber,retired, but some thimes he get a call to help someone. So when all goes to bananas, he is like super hero :D Or more like batman. He comes to fight evil water even at nights!

Don't think I could do fabric with the pump I have...only goes up to 60 psI and I don't think it ever gets that high...

Yeah, but everything I've seen you need closet to 100 psi to penetrate the cloth. It might paint the outside ok, but won't be paints enough to last through too many washes, but your right...I should try anyways...

Yeah, but everything I've seen you need closet to 100 psi to penetrate the cloth. It might paint the outside ok, but won't be paints enough to last through too many washes, but your right...I should try anyways...
I didn't do many t-shirts, still learning about it but... When I put trans base first, there is no way paint will penetrate in to the fabric... There is like hard layer on top of t-shirt. I use 60 psi, but I also used 50. I bought several t-shirt tutorials and ''teachers'' sad people use from 40 to 80 psi. No one mentioned 100 psi if I remember correctly. I have videos from Kent Lind, Terry Hill and Gary Worthington. I think how you press your artwork is the important part. You can do with Iron, but heat press is golden. Either way, if you have t-shirt for 10 fridays when you go out on a beer is good enough. You had fun and you can always make another one.

What temp do you run your heat press. My wife has done some heat transfer vinyl pieces and we heat set them with the iron. Spent a few hours with a grill thermometer to find what heat level was what temperature

Don't think I could do fabric with the pump I have...only goes up to 60 psI and I don't think it ever gets that high...
i had done a few with only 50psi, and so far i own a year old tshirt and still doing good after washed.

Sent from Knockoff i-Fone [emoji14]

Back