Where do I begin?

S

StaticSkizzles

So I got 2 airbrushes last Xmas and a compressor. Both brushes are by Royalmax. One is the AB-128P model and the other is the 132E. I've used one airbrush once with revel acrylic paint and thinner just to understand how to use one, painting squiggles, lines and letters on paper.

I'm amazing at drawing, already got 3 A*s in Art & Design since the start of this year at school so I'm hoping airbrushing will be easier for me since I'm already talented with a pencil.

There is a old saying "The more you do something, the better you get at doing it". Its true because that's how I became good at playing Call of Duty and Skyrim. I have no clue where to begin with airbrushing.

Can anyone help?
How did all y'all professionals start?
What did you begin airbrushing first and is there any tips that will make your first airbrush artwork good?

I've tried making flames with some shapes cut out of cardboard to make neat curves but my flames completely failed.

Hi mate... Welcome to forum.. I cant draw for toffee, but airbrushing is fun... practice, practice and practice.... Look around forum and introduce yourself :)

You'll first need to build the muscle memory and the easiest (not most fun though :p) way sto go about that is doing the basic exercises.

You can find the basic's (and some more advanced stuff) here: http://www.airbrushtutor.com/tutorials/step-by-step

Before staring on stuff like flames you should first reach the point that your airbrush is an extension of you (muscle memory), as long as you are more bussy with control of the gun than with the painting you are working on getting a decent result will be verry hard. Airbrushing has a steep learning curve just remember that the first few weeks /momths (depending on how much you practice :p) are hardest. Once you get through them it will become easier pretty quickly.

Ok, cheers littlerick and haasje dutchairbrush. I'll have a look at the link.

The hardest part for me was paint. Once i got to where i could dial in paint and pressures it started to come together. Since you already inderstand shading, greyscales and highlights (i dont yet really) you should be flying along once you can control the brush

Hi static, you already have the best advice, exercises, and pratice. With your skills, the physical painting should be something you will love. It's the actual paint/air/psi ratios and trigger control, and learning what is best for your chosen surface that is key. There is no set recipe for this unfortunately as there are too many variables and what works for one person, doesn't necessarily work for someone else, but there is plenty of advice to help you along the way.

Haasje, what are dots and daggers? And how do you do them?

I'm talking about this tutorial:
http://www.airbrushtutor.com/tutorials/step-by-step/119-realistic-lion-by-haasje

Dots (as an exercise) is putting little dots (on a paper where you already put some dots on with a pencil). This is meant to learn to aim and get some trigger control.

Daggerstrokes are lines that start wide and end small or the otherway around (as an exercise this means starting far away with a lot of paint and going closer and reducing the amount of paint, again you'll learn to aim, work with distance and get some trigger control)

I had to search a bit but you can find the basic exercises here:
http://www.airbrushtutor.com/tutorials?start=10

All the above is VERY sound advice.
Practice and practice again - muck around in between though - and the control you need to have will come.
Once this happens, you then need to sort out what type/s of things you want to do.
My very limited artistic talent has amazed me, when I sit down and look at what I've done over the short time I've been at it.
Never thought I could draw a straight line to begin with.
Keep at it, and remember to take a step back once in a while and really LOOK at what you are doing.
It'll be great!

Back