Where to begin?

• Thread starter Michael Wieczynski
  • Start date
M

Michael Wieczynski

So...I ordered all my stuff today (airbrush, etc.) If you look at my intro forum you can see what I purchased.

I have never even held an airbrush...kinda leaped into this without looking...I love drawing etc, and I have always been drawn to this medium...

However, with no training what so ever, and zero experience...are there some exrecises/beginner things to paint? Learn lines and shading etc. Something just to get me the very basic tools to begin with?

So...I ordered all my stuff today (airbrush, etc.) If you look at my intro forum you can see what I purchased.

I have never even held an airbrush...kinda leaped into this without looking...I love drawing etc, and I have always been drawn to this medium...

However, with no training what so ever, and zero experience...are there some exrecises/beginner things to paint? Learn lines and shading etc. Something just to get me the very basic tools to begin with?
goto www.airbrushtutor.com

its helped me start out...and i still go there and download the tuts.... and welcome to OAF....

Yep yep!! Keep practicing your dots n daggers, and be sure to post your progress. Believe it or not, we can help ya when we see your practice pieces :)

Where to begin ? At the beginning then just learn to walk before you try running. I'm in the same league as you, only just completed my 3rd piece of work. I will say that if you have an art history it will be less of a learning curve (I don't)
The tutorials are a great place to start to get a feel for how it all works.
Above all have fun with it, technique will come with time (I'm still waiting) and you'll see it written here often that 'if I can do it then anyone can.' Believe that statement, it's true [emoji1]

Dots and daggers strokes (or rat tail strokes as some call them) are the foundation of any piece.
While they are much needed for anything you paint practicing them can be boring . So after getting a few pages (50) of them under your belt take on the eye tutorial or pick something easier to have a go at painting a picture.
Breaking a photo down is still a tough one for me but I am getting better at seeing the different shapes in the picture I am using for a reference .
Daniel Powers says on his dvd series paint the shapes the picture will take care of it self.
We have all been in your shoes on starting out new to airbrushing so that is why we are happy to guide you on this new venture .

"Daniel Powers says on his dvd series paint the shapes the picture will take care of it self. "

He's always saying it , but it is really the most basic instruction that means everything.
Im watching these at the moment and i would highly recommend his Dvd's to any beginner, they are that packed with info you can watch 1 several times and still learn something new each time:thumbsup::thumbsup:

"Daniel Powers says on his dvd series paint the shapes the picture will take care of it self. "

He's always saying it , but it is really the most basic instruction that means everything.
Im watching these at the moment and i would highly recommend his Dvd's to any beginner, they are that packed with info you can watch 1 several times and still learn something new each time:thumbsup::thumbsup:
That you can even after watching over 50 times you still pick up things :D
Out of all of the dvd's I own his has been the best bang for the buck

Welcome to the world of airbrushing mate.... I too had never used an airbrush before joining here. I am not artistic in any way and a lot here will say the same. We love what we do and this is a fantastic place to share and learn, everybody will give you as much help as you need and get you painting. Join in with the PP's and anything else you see... it will make you try harder knowing its going to be seen. Don't worry about fails... Got lots, we all have lol

Most of all enjoy it!

Welcome to the world of airbrushing mate.... I too had never used an airbrush before joining here. I am not artistic in any way and a lot here will say the same. We love what we do and this is a fantastic place to share and learn, everybody will give you as much help as you need and get you painting. Join in with the PP's and anything else you see... it will make you try harder knowing its going to be seen. Don't worry about fails... Got lots, we all have lol

Most of all enjoy it!
Ill second that, best place for knowledge,and youll find everything you need to know is here or freely given, join the family but most of all have fun while your learning.

That you can even after watching over 50 times you still pick up things :D
Out of all of the dvd's I own his has been the best bang for the buck
They certainly are, even though i got mine as a very very generous gift,and to boot there's not just one disc of knowledge theres 7 that will cram your mind:D

Many of us were in the same boat as you, and I'm sure you've seen the great art around here. As long as you are prepared to put in the time and do the hard yards, there's absolutely no reason your own art will not soon be joining the rest of the awesome stuff around here.

As has been said check out the airbrush tutors exercises, and do them until your brain starts to rot. It's not only about perfecting the different strokes and blends, it's about developing muscle memory and gaining trigger control. So even if you pick it all up quickly, stick with it to make sure that happens, once you've got that, the world will be your ABing oyster.

What everybody above said :p. And don't get discouraged, airbrushing has a pretty steep learning curve (especialy when you already can draw and suddenly find yourself at kindergarden level again :D) after the first couple of months it gets rapidly easier though.

Thanks for all of the advice...I just got a few things delivered today...

Most of all enjoy it!
What is a PP?

PaintPal, there is one currently going on called paintpal6 (pp6).

Welcome from Australia!
What's been said already, pretty much covers it all.
I too have absolutely no formal art training, have always had bad eyes and little depth perception, but after deciding I'd like to try airbrushing have found that I'm as addicted as everyone else here.
I paint for myself, friends and family and don't really follow any particular style, just paint what I see [ or as near as I can! ] .
Have fun and learn lots.

Or crawl in my case:) I came here via those tutorials a few days ago. I already tried my first eye. Looks like someone punched it a few times, but I am trying! Still working on my dots and dagger strokes. Welcome:) I am only a week or two ahead of you and am sure to be behind soon!

Back