Where to start

G

Gainey

Hi everyone
i just want to ask a question, if I was to paint a graphic/ picture say a skull on an already stock painted motorcycle tank what is the procedure to just paint the skull .
Would I have to sand and strip back the whole tank?
If I just paint a skull do I just sand and clean the area that I will paint
sorry but being a nub you gotta learn somewhere if anyone could give me a rough idea that would be great I use wicked paints thanx

Dude. I was there once myself! All depends on how the surface is. If the exsisting paint is good and ur not changing color sand it with 600 till its just not shiny anymore after you wash it with degreaser. Then use wax and grease remover before ya spray anything.....
Do your artwork

Clear and cor sand and buff next day before it gets too hard to buff out and you go through a million bottles of rubbing compound.

Thats just a quick explanation...if ya want more detailed id be happy to write em up for ya. Kids needin to get to bed.

Hope it helps.

never thought of something like that:boxing:!!!thx gainey,a very good question!!!

i like to wait 2 to 3 day before wet sanding a clear using 1500grit, before buffing.

All depends on what kind of clear ya use tho. And yes grab some headphones and sand till ur wanna throw it over the house....i will give full description after i eat dinner...sorry i slacked this mornin

All depends on what kind of clear ya use tho. And yes grab some headphones and sand till ur wanna throw it over the house....i will give full description after i eat dinner...sorry i slacked this mornin

Slacker ... We will have to change that...LOL

Slacker ... We will have to change that...LOL
PHTPHTPHTPHTPHTPHTPHTPHTPHT!!!! ok well here is the whole rundown for painting a bike.
In a perfect world the existing paint is in perfect condition. no chips, dents, rust, or any major issues. remove all emblems and steeeekers. then clean to remove all waxes and grease, dirts, blaa blaa blaa... before sanding wipe down with wax and grease remover and wipe dry. I preffer to dry sand, but up to you. personal prefferance really. ( yes my spelling sucks... that's why I'm poor. lol) anyways sand with a squishy block with 600 wet or dry till the gloss is vamanos. then wax-n-grease again and wipe with clean lint free paper towel. wipe down with a tack rag to remove any more dust ( use with a light hand, otherwise the tacky could tacky on your clean surface. if going from a black to a white basecoat you should spray a couple coats of sealer/primer to block out the dark color then spray your white or whatever it is. if going darker you don't need to dothis step. correction, if your changing colors reds and stuff then your should sealer it. anyways, do your spray of art and shtuph. wait 30 mins roughly or until dry to the touch, check with a finger on taped area. then you can spray your clear after cleaning again with wax-n-grease remover. I recommend 3 good heavy coats with the clearcoat. test for the stringy tendrils to not come off your finger on a test area between coats of clear. I recommend spraying water down around the area your painting, keeps the dirt down. when to sand with 1500 is up to you. the sooner you do it the easier it is so buff with a maching polisher and rubbing compound, but it will shrink more and possibly show some blemishes after its done curing, but depending on how good you cut and buff it more than likely you should be alright. so that's the more in depth without writing a seven part novel on all the ways to paint a bike... hahahah... I hope that helps you out. trying to cram so much into so little time isn't so easy.. lol... feel free to ask any more questions, will be more than happy to give whatever crappy knowledge I have to help you out.

Back