which brand/model sould i buy?

N

nikwave

i m looking for a double action airbrush to paint surfboards.im a beginner and i already own a 5hp 30 gal compressor and moisture trap.i did paint a car and a surfboard before but with a regular spray gun.i live in Hawaii so i would by it from Ebay(Usa)or Tcp global.surfboards are around 7 feet so its a big surface if that makes a difference on the type of gun.thanks!

i m looking for a double action airbrush to paint surfboards.im a beginner and i already own a 5hp 30 gal compressor and moisture trap.i did paint a car and a surfboard before but with a regular spray gun.i live in Hawaii so i would by it from Ebay(Usa)or Tcp global.surfboards are around 7 feet so its a big surface if that makes a difference on the type of gun.thanks!

There are so many to choose from and everybody has their own specific needs, what you choose will need to suit whatever it is you intend to paint, if your planning on painting full photo realistic scenes or simply applying a pattern or design, my advice would be to read through the "What airbrush do you use" thread in the airbrush section of the forum, most of the guys state which airbrush they use and what they use it for, you could also tell what your plans are and maybe one of the guys can tell you from experience where to start.

main things to consider are , What your budget can afford, what type of paint are you going to be using, Even surf boards can be painted with water based paint due to the clear coat you have to put over them,
I suggest an Iwata Eclipse hp-cs or it you want one better High Performance HP-C Plus, Either are great starter bushes the will give you great detail the more you practice with them.
But like Madbrush said read through the thread , and if there is a local airbrush artist in your area try to set up a visit with them to see what they are using.
Bottom line is everyone uses a different airbrush because it fits the way the use it or even hold it .
Also check out Coast Airbrush and if you have a Hobby Lobby (they carry Iwata and Paasche) in your area check them out and if you have one they also offer a 40% Off coupon on the web so you save a lot of money

Doing more realistic things or not, I agree with Mr. Micron, the Iwata Eclipse hp-cs or High Performance HP-C Plus are very good airbrushes and you have a long way ahead to improve your skills with. But it is always complicated to guess what tipe of airbrush to anyone without you even handle it, or feel it in your own hand. There are very good artists playing around with different types and brands of airbrushes and doing amanzing jobs, so there isn't a recipe to the choice of an airbrush but the feeling of each one of us regarding the work of each different airbrush.

What ever airbrush you buy, I suggest sticking with a name brand like Badger, Iwata, Paasche, Harder and Steenbeck, Grex. Stay away from the Chinese knock offs as quality can be very questionable. Also, consider the cost and availability of spare parts and service. Personally, I stick with Badger and Iwata, but mostly use Badger airbrushes. Badger parts are much cheaper than Iwata and Badger gives a life time guarantee on all their airbrushes. It all comes down to personal preference and your budget. The Iwata HP-CS is a great airbrush and the Badger Patriot is also a great all around airbrush.

What ever airbrush you buy, I suggest sticking with a name brand like Badger, Iwata, Paasche, Harder and Steenbeck, Grex. Stay away from the Chinese knock offs as quality can be very questionable. Also, consider the cost and availability of spare parts and service. Personally, I stick with Badger and Iwata, but mostly use Badger airbrushes. Badger parts are much cheaper than Iwata and Badger gives a life time guarantee on all their airbrushes. It all comes down to personal preference and your budget. The Iwata HP-CS is a great airbrush and the Badger Patriot is also a great all around airbrush.
I agree with JT , parts and being able to get them fast is a main key,
But remember the airbrush is a tool. nothing more nothing less, as with any tool it is only as good as the person using it. So after you do pick a brush follow all of Mitch's tut's on dots dagger fades blends and figure 8's
practice them as well as have a go at paintings.

The Late Jamie Rodriguez only used Badger and did amazing work , Svee (Guitar artist in the UK) uses almost every airbrush on JT's list,

Here is a web site that does a great humble review and is not pushing any one airbrush..
have a look https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

well i just ordered an Iwata Eclipse hp-cs with the .5mm kit from Chicago airbrush supply .now i need to buy some paint.thank you guys!!

congrat for your new tool mate hope you injoy it

as far as paints go I really like wicked and I used to use HOK for all my work. It is cheap and sprays really good for waterborne. I have also heard good things about etac I only have a few colors by them but they also have a nice quality product but are on the more expencive side you say you are ordering from tcp global I know they have a wicked complete color kit it would be worth your wild. I also would buy a quart of wicked reducer along with createx 4 oz r*e*t*a*r*d*er. And some createx AB cleaner and restorer would help you out allot. I also like to keep a spare junk paint brush around when cleaning out my AB. Hope this helps you out good choice in AB by the way.

Back