Which color for a beginner?

djikajin

Young Tutorling
Hey guys,

so I got my H&S Evolution Two in One today (got it used from ebay, but they said it has only been unpacked but never used) and really wanted to dive into the world of airbrushing.

I have this black acrylic paint (see attachment), and it's veeeery thick. So I thinned it with water (just as the instructions say), but all I get is spattering all over my canvas (just copy paper). Then I thinned it like crazy (maybe 2:8 paint:water), I still get spattering when I get to close to the canvas, and the paint is very wet - duh. So I'm really thinking that maybe this kind of paint is just not right for airbrushing. I cleaned the nozzle and needle several times over, and I really hope it's not bent (maybe the previous owner once dropped the box it was in? Though it really looks spotless to my untrained eye!). When I paint I can hear a ch---ch---ch---ch sound, just like an old locomotive.

So if anybody from Germany (that's where I'm currently at and where I bought this color at a hardware store in the tiny crafts section) knows this paint, could you please tell me if I can use it and how much water I should put for thinning?

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
You should really only use airbrush specific paint, or some people use food coloring. The acrylic will be to thick no matter what you do. Oh, and the food coloring is mainly used for practice.

A lot of variables. The paint from what I just researched is a cheap acrylic hobby paint. Not airbrush friendly at all. It's possible but a lot of unnecessary headaches. Would have to really reduce and strain it. What air pressure are you using? Could be your mix, air pressure or the airbrush as well. Spitting is from too thick paint, not enough air pressure, and if the nozzle is bent or cracked or needle curled, it will spit as well. There are several Germans on this site that can probably steer you in a better direction with local paints and hell maybe one of them is close enough to you they can look at your ab for you.

Well, I'll follow your advice and throw it away then... I guess I was jumping too fast into this whole airbrushing-thing. But I'm happy that I can at least hope that all my problems will go away if I had better paint. Not all my problems, but at least those ab-related ones :D

So right now I'm looking into three colors: Createx (6,79 EUR/100ml), Pro-Color (14,72 EUR/100ml) and Com-Art (14,04 EUR/100ml). It's all obaque black paint, no need for colors right now. Since I'm on a veeeery tight budget I'm mostly looking into the Createx one. Does anybody have experience with that? I haven't heard anything bad about it, but is it also good for drawing on canvas? (Or in my current case, copy paper)

Well, I'll follow your advice and throw it away then... I guess I was jumping too fast into this whole airbrushing-thing. But I'm happy that I can at least hope that all my problems will go away if I had better paint. Not all my problems, but at least those ab-related ones :D

So right now I'm looking into three colors: Createx (6,79 EUR/100ml), Pro-Color (14,72 EUR/100ml) and Com-Art (14,04 EUR/100ml). It's all obaque black paint, no need for colors right now. Since I'm on a veeeery tight budget I'm mostly looking into the Createx one. Does anybody have experience with that? I haven't heard anything bad about it, but is it also good for drawing on canvas? (Or in my current case, copy paper)

Forget the createx one it is made for t shirts and is heavily pigmented therefore it needs a bigger than 0.3 nozzle, it's also famous for it's tip dry, go with com-art, your evolution has a 0.2 set up and com-art will go through it very easy, you need grief when your just starting out, the pro colour I have never heard of.

I also have a .4mm needle, but I'm aiming on the .2mm one.

Com-Art and Pro-Color don't seem to be too different, so I just ordered a bottle of 125ml black and airbrush cleaner from pro-color, since it's from the same company as my airbrush.

Com art for what you are doing would be best. Createx is junk as stated before (original createx not their other lines)

Createx has a line of pre-thinned paints for > .3mm. Which brings me to the next point: looking for com-art and procolor I never found thinners for them. Can I use them just like that? Or did I just not close enough?

Is there anybody who used those Createx colors? They are much cheaper than com-art/procolor.

Water with Com art but usually doesn't need any reduction. A lot of us have used createx, it really sucks. It's thick and loves to tip dry and spit. It'd made for tshirts and spraying at very high psi. It's cheap for a reason bud. You can use it but you will find yourself banging your head against the wall. Createx has it's own reducer and a bunch of other stuff. Wicked and illustration line also have the own reducer and whatnot. That stuff is for everything, Com art is for illustration and canvas work.

Okay, I'll avoid it then. But I should have ordered a bottle of com-art as well, just to compare.

Thanks for the advice :) Now all I gotta do is wait for my paint, cleaner and 1/8" adapter (to use the other hose, the one I have is leaking air -.-) to arrive in the mail.

I use created illustration and you do have to reduce it. I haven't painted in awhile so not sure of my reduction formula. I use comart as well and flows pretty well at about 15 psi and lower.

I already received and used the pro-color paint and it works very well. Even with the .2mm nozzle/needle setup no thinning was required.

But... it was opaque paint, so not so suitable for a beginner. Instead of buying transparent paint I was playing with the paint I already had before (the one from my first post in this thread). It's really not as good as the airbrush paint, but if thinned correctly (I'm close to the right ratio, but not quite there yet) it at least works good enough for most things. At least the dagger stroke looked somewhat nice now!

The only problem right now is that while it's possible to do very fine lines, sometimes the paint gets stuck for a microsecond and I get a dashed line as a result. Once I even encountered the following problem: I could make thin lines for a few seconds, then I had to pull the trigger back for more paint and make thicker lines. So every few seconds I had to pull even further back because the paint wouldn't come out anymore.

I guess if I play around some more I'll get a good mix to work with, and that would be great for me as I'm doing all this on a very tight budget. It only needs to be good for getting used to drawing with an AB, not for creating masterpieces! And hey, I was using the .2mm setup, so that's not to shabby :)

Any hints for how to thin right? So far I was using regular tap water (water here is very soft [oh, and it tastes wonderful!]), but I want to try with cooked water (of course let it cool down, but perhaps mix while the water is still warm). I'd like to try with alcohol as well, so far I only know that the higher percentage isn't as good as it sounds, but either ways I have to go to the pharmacy or market to get some - unless I want to waste my good Cuban rum or vodka :D jk.

I also heard that window cleaners are good to use. Whatever works is fine for me, as long as it's cheap. Apart from a respirator I don't want to spend much more money on airbrushing until I feel confident enough that I'll be able to create some nice artworks soon! I tend to give up hobbies very fast, so that's why!

Mmmm hopefully you havent buggered ya gun, be areful with any paint that mentions hardness of the paint, it suggests that they use some kind of hardener in it or its designed to go hard pretty quick and that in combination with an airbrush can be a bad thing..Def get rid of that stuff as mentioned. I would recommend Spectra Tex for a beginner for a cple of reasons, it just mixes with water so no fancy additives to learn about, the color range is pretty simple so encourages you to mix your own and also it will spray straight from the bottle or highly reduced quite well.. There are other brands of course but Spectra is one of the cheaper and great for beginners..But yer I would give that brush a real good clean and hope you get any residue out..GL

it doesn't mention that it has a hardener, or does it? Just that it works with self hardening clay.

If the only problem with this paint is its thickness then I'll continue using it. Only if it really has harmful chemicals will I throw it away.

but I'll have a look into createx illu paint. if really only their original line sucks then I'm willing to give that line a chance!

Did you strain the paint? Sounds like it's clogging up at the nozzle. Usually when you spray then it stops and you have to clear it for it to start spraying, paint is too thick or needs to be strained. Also if you have any dry paint residue in the nozzle it will do this too because it's not seating properly.

I guess then I should get myself some of those paper paint strainers tomorrow. That's the only thing I can think of to be suitable to strain fine particles.

Nah it only states "Self-hardening on Model clays" or sumfin, I just saw the hardening word, didn't see it continued, early in the morning here :)

oh thank you! you were already worrying me!

Tomorrow I'll go to the local hardware store to buy some paint strainers and to some supermarket to get some (vinegar+ammoniac free) window cleaner and maybe some sealable jars. Good thing that the hardware store is just a mile down the street from where I can get the other things. Gotta love living in a small town (where you can only buy ab paint online -.-)

Back