which is the best acrylic paint to use????

T

Teez

im from south africa, im a beginner to airbrushes and are a few paints that i have cum across, such as Cotman, Zellen and Daler Rowney acrylics. can someone please advise me on which paints will be the best to use on all surfaces. help!!!

I didn't read into each one too much, besides cotmans I've never used the others. I know cotman makes inks which wld work fine through your gun but the others appear to be tube acrylics?? You can use tube colors but it is quite a learning curve in itself to get the right blends of water, flow mediums and other potential aditives like glycerin. Now some inks don't work well on metal surfaces so dunno how the cotman inks would go with such..Perhap's consider shipping some in from OS that are specially formulated for various surfaces like createx, etac, spectra-tex etc..GL and enjoy the hobby :)

Hi Teez,

As a fellow south african, I would say the only stuff we get at the shops are Daler Rowney's FW inks and Dala's acrylic inks. For Com-art paints, pm me and I can help.

I must add that I've only used these paints on paper and canvas.

im from south africa, im a beginner to airbrushes and are a few paints that i have cum across, such as Cotman, Zellen and Daler Rowney acrylics. can someone please advise me on which paints will be the best to use on all surfaces. help!!!
I can tell you what I've tried so far,
1 - Createx Wiked color detail (these only work well)
2 - Pen color (already diluted although it is best to dilute them a little more to have fine lines)
3 - Liquitex ink (ARE READY AND ARE GREAT, fine lines and precise.
Remember, to prevent the color from drying in the tip, you have to buy the slowing of createx and add it to whatever color acrylic you decide to buy (it is a thinner which slowing the drying).
I now use synthetic colors and you can not understand the huge difference between acrylic and synthetic else.
With synthetic you can do stretches under the tenth of a millimeter and the color quality is unsurpassed.
Now I'm working on a new work made ​​with synthetic colors and the result is stunning. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you what I've tried so far,
1 - Createx Wiked color detail (these only work well)
2 - Pen color (already diluted although it is best to dilute them a little more to have fine lines)
3 - Liquitex ink (ARE READY AND ARE GREAT, fine lines and precise.
Remember, to prevent the color from drying in the tip, you have to buy the slowing of createx and add it to whatever color acrylic you decide to buy (it is a thinner which slowing the drying).
I now use synthetic colors and you can not understand the huge difference between acrylic and synthetic else.
With synthetic you can do stretches under the tenth of a millimeter and the color quality is unsurpassed.
Now I'm working on a new work made ​​with synthetic colors and the result is stunning. ;)

may i ask what is synthetic colors?

Synthetic colours are Oil or solvent based and can't be thinned water or added to acrylic mediums, you have to be sure that your airbrush's seals can take these, if they are rubber they can't.

If you are a beginner I suggest acrylics, for synthetic colors there is to do an exacting investment, if only for hobby drawings do not convenient.

Back