which is the best way to get deep pearlized effect

B

BenTSH

Hi,

which is the best way:

- pearlized paint ready
- pigments with a medium
- pigments into the varnish ( is it possible to add them into Gravity or ZeroPaint 2K varnish ? )

I want to get this pearl white:

I've tried Daley & Rowney pearlescent paint but the particules are are not very small: it is more close to a sparkle effect than pearl ...

Thanks by advance

I usually only use powdered pearls and mix it with a carrier like one would candies and micro flakes.
For large flakes I use a flake buster
Also are you judging the effect before or after clear.

I usually only use powdered pearls and mix it with a carrier like one would candies and micro flakes.
For large flakes I use a flake buster
Also are you judging the effect before or after clear.

Is there a pearl powder brand for famous than others or they are all the same from china :cry::D

A carrier for you is a like a liquid like medium "resin" or you speak about something else than a liquid thing ?

same question: clear is the varnish for you ?

I'm a newbee so I don't know yet very well about the airbrush vocabulary :cry::D

Is there a pearl powder brand for famous than others or they are all the same from china :cry::D

A carrier for you is a like a liquid like medium "resin" or you speak about something else than a liquid thing ?

same question: clear is the varnish for you ?

I'm a newbee so I don't know yet very well about the airbrush vocabulary :cry::D
http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=82 the SG150 carrier is listed at the bottom of the page. On pearls and flakes I usually only use HOK products.

Herb pointed you in the right direction. Although you can purchase premixed pearlized colors, they don't produce the same stunning effects compared to dry pearl mixed with a carrier that is sprayed over a base color in my opinion. Mixing your own dry pearl with a carrier also allows you the freedom of choosing which specific color the paint will "flip" to in good light.

I'm looking to draw the back of sepia squid so I'll have to use patterns and made variations of the pearl colors so I will enjoy to DTM ( Doing Them Myself LOL ) my own dry pearl mix with carrier.

any other intercoat references ? I've seen the Createx 4030 but I'm allways enjoy to test all the possibles intercoats.

And moreover as it is my first airbrush week ;):D I've use tape for upper color coat and as expected the tape stick the under coat ... ( ok it was not an airbrush tape :rolleyes: ) so I hope intercoat is th esolution but I'm wondering if it is the same "resin" as with a color ( as it seems to be indicate ) or if it is another strong "resin"

Last interrogation: intercoat is only necessary for acrylic unsolvanted paint and not for enamel or Alclad II "stronger" paints ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back