which one please help

T

Taffy

hi i have been learning to airbrush for a little while now. i am not that good but am enjoying myself. i have bought a few chinese airbrushes to start with but have been having problems with spitting and brushes blocking. i have decided to invest in a decent airbrush and have decided on an iwata eclipse or the harder and steebeck evolution silver line 2 in one. i am using auto air and wicked paints at the moment, but would like to try cellulouse paint at a later date. bothof these airbrushes are solvent proof but i heard somewhere that the harder and steenbeck neadles are very soft and so bend very easilly and are expensive to replace so any advice will be gratefully recieved.

thank you

adrian

hi i have been learning to airbrush for a little while now. i am not that good but am enjoying myself. i have bought a few chinese airbrushes to start with but have been having problems with spitting and brushes blocking. i have decided to invest in a decent airbrush and have decided on an iwata eclipse or the harder and steebeck evolution silver line 2 in one. i am using auto air and wicked paints at the moment, but would like to try cellulouse paint at a later date. bothof these airbrushes are solvent proof but i heard somewhere that the harder and steenbeck neadles are very soft and so bend very easilly and are expensive to replace so any advice will be gratefully recieved.

thank you

adrian

You just answered your own question, looks like it will be the Iwata, all needles are easy to bend depending on how rough you are with them, if I want a needle to bend it will bend, if I was you I would look more at the price, I discovered today that the Iwata is cheaper than the evolution, and they told me that the quality is better, I haven't used either yet so I can't say, but you will find that most people who say one is better than the other haven't used both either, if they use one and it's good it suddenly becomes the best.

The only way to know for sure which is best is to buy and try both, but that would be expensive, it's not just about the brush, but also the person, everybody has their own requirements.

I own an Eclipse and an H&S Infinity, I wouldn't give up either one. I have to say that yes, the H&S needles bend easy. and yes they are expensive, but I've bent both of mine(2 in 1) and straightened them 20 times and have no issues. Never have I considered buying a new one. I know I will someday, but not yet. I've bought one nozzle and it was my fault for shoving paint through.

If I were to recommend one or the other... it's hard to say without knowing how close the Evolution is to an Infinity. The craftsmanship of H&S is noticeably different, it's smooth, consistent and the .15 needle is able to do detail beyond my skill set.

The Eclipse is a warhorse, tough as nails and cheaper to maintain. I have literally used mine every day for over a year and a half, since I bought it. I'm disabled and paint a lot, and I don't see myself outgrowing the Eclipse for a long time. As far as detail, again, the .15 needle does make super thin lines, but I can't control my shaking enough to use it to it's full potential, lol. The detail I get on the eclipse is pencil thin or finer, plenty fine for most beginning or intermediate artists.

As for the personal aspect, I love the feel of my H&S. I feel like a better artist when I use it, it's so consistent.(if my paint is up to par)

If I honestly had to grab one in a fire, I'd take the Infinity.
If I honestly had to buy one or the other for a friend or family member, I'd probably go with the Eclipse...it's cheaper to maintain, parts are easier to get, and like I said it's good enough to grow as an artist for a good while.

On a side note, if your paint is getting clogged in any airbrush, it probably just needs to be strained and/or reduced more. My tiny .15 needle handles AA and Wicked just fine if I strain the chunks and reduce it properly. Spitting sounds like a split nozzle without knowing more.

So, this probably didn't help at all but that's my point of view.

hey thank you properly stained advice appreciated, i can get the evolution silverline 2 in 1 for £5 more than the eclipse and i have found a site that sells all spares in the uk. thank you again

hey thank you properly stained advice appreciated, i can get the evolution silverline 2 in 1 for £5 more than the eclipse and i have found a site that sells all spares in the uk. thank you again

Hey Taffy, an update before you go buying, I found out a couple of days ago that the Evolution 2 in 1 (Which I also have) is seriously over priced for what it is, it has the same qualities as the eclipse, but the parts are more expensive, The guy in the shop uses both among other brushes, he told me that if you leave the evolution for a short time in water or cleaner it starts to tarnish, this won't affect performance but really looks ugly, I also have some cheap brushes and this happened to them.

So I think the eclipse just might be the better choice, I certainly wish I had looked around more, at the end of the day it's your choice, but please consider these points before you buy, I would rather see some nice artwork than see you disappointed, good luck whichever you choose.

Back