Which type of paint i can use to airbrush T-shirt, fabric?

A

anzori88

Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I live in GEORGIA (near RUSSIA) and airbrushing is on its stone age here. :) I want to be first airbrusher in my city. I bought airbrush kit on Amazon.com but had no money for paint. As i mentioned here are no airbrush shops, paint, parts and etc. So i have problem: I do not know what type of paint i can use to airbrush T-shirt. I want paint that will not remove after wash on 30 celcius.

Please, if you can help me to find out type of paint. In stores there are standart car paint, waterbased aquarell paint for paper painting and very cheap spray paint. On Amazon its very expensive for me to buy Createx or other paint, so i want to buy paint i my country. I hope you'll help me.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum anzor.

As for tshirt paint, Createx, spectratex, wicked, Etac,trident, and probably others I can't think of will work, it's all in the prep and finishing of the shirt.

For prep, ironing or pressing makes for a smoother surface to start, on dark colors a pre treat with a transparent base and then an iron allows for less color use to achieve the desired color. Note on ironing, use high heat moving constantly , with a towel or parchment paper over the shirt to prevent burning or melting the paint. Do this for at least 2 minutes. An occasional iron during painting even helps to keep the nap of the shirt down as well as lock in the color making life a bit easier especially if you have to walk away for a while.

For finishing, iron as stated above, ultimately if you do a lot of shirts a press will be ideal. You can press your shirts for 30-45 seconds at 375 deg Fahrenheit . You can also top cost with the transparent base and iron, it will give more protection, and a shiny appearance . A product called Save T is also available from coast airbrush dot com, which can also be used on leather and vinyl, and will prolong the paint longevity.

Being in Georgia, I don't know how readily available these things are, since you bought from Amazon, many can be found there as well . Maybe search for other on line retailers in EU or the UK , might make shipping better for you .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Find a local art shop That holds acrylic paint. They may not have airbrush specific paint but will have water based acrylic and probably some sort of textile medium. You can than make your own textile paint.
Paints like Liquitex,Maimeri,Folkart,L&B,Schmincke,Pentart,Idea,Raphael can be mixed with a textile medium so your paint will have more flexibility and and t-shirts can be washed.
hope this helps!

Thank you very much. I know that there are many good paints on amazon and other sites, but for now it's too expensive for me. :( So i'm looking something that can be found in every paint store.

What means acrylic paint? What type of paint is this? Car body paint or plastic or for what they are used for? And if paint will be water based it can resist washing??

anzori88,
I use Golden Fluid acrylic paint which usually can be bought in any art shop and you have to mix it with Golden Airbrush Medium which hopefully the art shop will also sell. If not you might be able to buy the Golden Fluid at your art shop and order the Golden Airbrush Medium from the internet. You mix 50/50 paint and airbrush medium and it sprays well at 40 psi. I am new to painting T shirts so others will know better than me, I just think that Golden Fluid acrylic paint will probably be sold in art shops in Georgia and its good for textiles.

You also don't have to heat set this mix of paint and medium, it will air cure in 4 days and then you should be able to wash the T shirt at 30 celcius. Read the information on the internet for more details. I'm only trying it for the first time myself.

Golden Fluid is not cheap but if you buy the basic white, black, blue, yellow and red colours you should be able to mix them to any colour you might need. Or just buy black and white to start with and do single colour paintings and mix greys to get mid tones.

Acrylic paint is water based paint rather than solvent based paint. You will need to look it up or get better information from better informed artists. :) Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
The paints I mentioned are artist paints for brush painting on canvas ect.
You have oil paints and acrylic. Like Melbee said they are water based so you can reduce them with destiled water.
You can also use textile silk screen printing colors. The need to be reduced and heat set when dry.

Ok, thank you very much. I'll go for shopping on this week and see what can be found in stores. Than i'll airbrush my first T-shirt and will upload pictures here. :)

I decided to buy Createx 6 paint set from amazon. It is water based paint. So this means that i should mix with water or what?

I decided to buy Createx 6 paint set from amazon. It is water based paint. So this means that i should mix with water or what?

Yes reduce with water. Follow the instructions on the bottle and read about how to use this paint on the Createx website.
I've never used this paint so others will obviously know more about it than me.
cheers Mel

welcome anzori, you have come to the right place for excellent advice and great friends

You can reduce with water, you don't have to. 10% reduction for spraying tees would be the most I would do. I shoot it straight from the bottle usually. .5 needle iwata eclipse at 60psi+

You can reduce with water, you don't have to. 10% reduction for spraying tees would be the most I would do. I shoot it straight from the bottle usually. .5 needle iwata eclipse at 60psi+

Hi all!! I am new here, and after reading all good posts above, I think this is the perfect place for my question because I really need some help: Which airbrush paints and which additives in it are best if you want to keep the colours really shiny (like recently airbrushed) on white Tshirts after washing? Thanks in advance!

The paints already mentioned in this thread are good, how long they last, and how bright they stay depend on the prep and finish of the shirt as mentioned by wmlepage above. Also a higher pressure to really get the paint into the fabric, rather than have it sat on the surface. Even then you need to be gentle with washing, and use a mild detergent.

The paints already mentioned in this thread are good, how long they last, and how bright they stay depend on the prep and finish of the shirt as mentioned by wmlepage above. Also a higher pressure to really get the paint into the fabric, rather than have it sat on the surface. Even then you need to be gentle with washing, and use a mild detergent.

I would imagine the paints mentioned will last as long as the thread, lol

I have just ordered a set of medea textile paints to try a few tshirts myself so ill let you know when ive got them what they are like [emoji4]

I have just ordered a set of medea textile paints to try a few tshirts myself so ill let you know when ive got them what they are like [emoji4]

Well I hope you've ordered a time machine too so you can back to 2012 and tell us how it went, it shouldn't be hard to find yourself an old delorian sports car since the guy who invented them was also Irish, I know that because he was driving backwards up a tight one way street (like what you do on your bike) and broke the gull wing doors off, ha ha ha
:):):)

Well I hope you've ordered a time machine too so you can back to 2012 and tell us how it went, it shouldn't be hard to find yourself an old delorian sports car since the guy who invented them was also Irish, I know that because he was driving backwards up a tight one way street (like what you do on your bike) and broke the gull wing doors off, ha ha ha
:):):)

Is correct sir they were but not far from were i live, your not just a pretty face. Some may say not even a pretty face but sure what would they know. [emoji6]

Is correct sir they were but not far from were i live, your not just a pretty face. Some may say not even a pretty face but sure what would they know. [emoji6]

Hey mate I'm the first to admit I don't have pretty face but I do know some stuff, there pictures of me on mantlepieces all over Scotland to stop kids playing next to the fire.

But I'm really really cuddly and if you don't believe me just ask @Squishy in fact ask her what my real name is, Squishy has told me on more than one occasion that when she gets to meet me in person she plans to break all my ribs, that is either one hell of a cuddle or have upset her without knowing it? :eek:

Hey mate I'm the first to admit I don't have pretty face but I do know some stuff, there pictures of me on mantlepieces all over Scotland to stop kids playing next to the fire.

But I'm really really cuddly and if you don't believe me just ask @Squishy in fact ask her what my real name is, Squishy has told me on more than one occasion that when she gets to meet me in person she plans to break all my ribs, that is either one hell of a cuddle or have upset her without knowing it? :eek:

Oh i know all about snuggle brush lmao ive seen her mention it before, as for the broken ribs, well its a hazard of being so cuddly

It's cos l don't know my own strength. I am actually Arnold Swartzenegger (it's true, you've never seen us in the same room together, that's because we're the same person) sent back in time to write on old threads in days of yore and yesteryear, which were new then, and will be old in the future, which is now, so that makes them then in the present, - to divert the infinite possibilities of probable posts, and steer them towards what makes the forum great now - So that when in the future, which makes now the past, everything will have happened in forum history as it was meant to, so that in the future where l am from, which is my present, the forum will have taken over the world.

Anyway it means l might squish @Madbrush Super Snugglebrush a bit too hard.

Last edited:
Back