which wicked and why?

F

flycatchr

I have a friend who will owe me some money. He is coming back from Australia to South Africa early next year. I was thinking he could bring me some wicked paint to add to my collection. I have a set of wicked primary opaque and a 6 colour set of wicked flouros. I MIGHT get a commission to do a Harley next year and I might also get to do an airplane when my friend has finished building it. I was thinking that If I got two sets of candies then I would have a reasonably complete range of colours to play around with. I have around $70 to play with (I could get him to bring more and pay him) and was thinking of candy set A and B from -> Airbrush Australia, Airbrush Megastore, Auto-Air Colors, Createx Colors, Wicked Colors, Australian Importer

Is this a good decision, should I be thinking about transparents rather than candies? should I get one set of candy and another of transparents?
The Harley commission would be basically purple (candy set B) and the airplane would be an African scene of some sort - lions/bush/buffalo etc.

any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my opinion...I would go with 1 trans and 1 candy if I had the bucks to spend.

Yeah like Shadow said. I have some of both, i probably use the transparent AA and the wicked more than the candy. Wicked its self is a semi opaque, AA you can get trans, opaque, semi opaque, and candy. Tough decision unless you know you will need something specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can use both the wicked and candy/transparent AA together cant I?

Yes you can. Can even intermix them for more color combos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

what is the actual difference then between the candy and a transparent?

A candy is way more transparent than the transparent paint. I do not know how much more other than its a lot. Yes you could get a big bottle of transparent base, mix it with the transparent paints, and make them candy like. But it's hit or miss until you get the hue and saturation you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To the best of my knowledge Kandy is more like a tinted clear coat that will allow more light to reflect off underlying layers, Where a Transparent will allow you to build the level of color you want( more layers the darker the color) and of course opaque is just plain color and will stay the same no matter how many layers.

thanks for the response guys - so far I think this is what I will get:
A) 120ml transparent set - blue, black, white, fire red, yellow, orange, apple green and 4011 reducer
B) 120ml candy set A - recing green, brite blue, yellow, apple red and 2x reducer
C) 120ml candy set B - black, purple, orange, black cherry and 2x reducer
D) maybe a sparklescent or iridescent. (one colour)

It Might be a little more than I was prepared to spend, but even one of the commissions will make it worth while :)

To the best of my knowledge Kandy is more like a tinted clear coat that will allow more light to reflect off underlying layers, Where a Transparent will allow you to build the level of color you want( more layers the darker the color) and of course opaque is just plain color and will stay the same no matter how many layers.
Yes, this is why you spray it over a metallic base coat of silver or gold, then when you add the candy the light reflects through from underneath to give that proper candy look.

Yes, this is why you spray it over a metallic base coat of silver or gold, then when you add the candy the light reflects through from underneath to give that proper candy look.

:triumphant:Yippie!!! See I did learn something from this site lol ...... now if I could only learn to paint??!!!

Back