White skull on black bg

Alex

Double Actioner
Hi folks. I'm want to paint a white skull on white plastic paper... And I'm a little bit confused about the background for starting - as I figured out wicked white(w001) is much colder than plastic paper(white) color... so if I will have to erase some paint and will get to the base(plastic white) - it will be very noticeable compared to other(colder) white on the painting... I was thinking about putting some w001 as the solid background and covering it with 2-3 layers of 4030 to get strong protection from erasing to the plastic base...then start painting black the skull and erase some parts if needed(to the w001 base maximum)
Am I going the right way?

I paint white skulls on white (Yupo) plastic paper often. I do it by not using white paint. I just let the white of the paper show through. That way when erasing I dont get the issue of color differnce
crazyvet, thanks for the answer! are you using white paint in some areas to cover the black? and if so - how do you deal with colder white color(over black) comparing to other white?

I do not use white at all. I simply erase back to the paper. If I screw up and go to dark or get black where its not needed I erase. to get the "extra " white highlighrs I just make sure there is a very thin coat of black covering everything else.. Sorry Im not great at explaining things. But the key is very light coats of black. slowly build up your darkness

Another option that might simplify things is start with a black substrate. I don't know if what you are painting on comes in black, but it might remove some of the guesswork. Although, it sounds like a good learning experience. Give it a go and see what happens. :thumbsup:

I'm new too, so take it for what it's worth. :)

Its on white plastic paper so I guess something similar to Yupo. There should be no reason that they couldn't make black yupo but I don't think they do.

I do not use white at all. I simply erase back to the paper. If I screw up and go to dark or get black where its not needed I erase. to get the "extra " white highlighrs I just make sure there is a very thin coat of black covering everything else.. Sorry Im not great at explaining things. But the key is very light coats of black. slowly build up your darkness

I'm taking notes!

Back