For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Why did I not get one sooner

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by crewchief227, Aug 9, 2018.

1. crewchief227

crewchief227 Gravity Guru

A ultrasonic cleaner. OMG $40 and it did what hours of cleaning couldn't. It brought them back (my Microns especially) to out of the box, new like condition, except where my brushes are brassed up from use. But wow, it used to take me an hour a brush, to get them spotless, now it takes running a 4 min cycle (after every single part has been stripped down, yes that includes nozzle, air valve, MAC valve, and needle packing), a rinse off in the basket, maybe a quick toothbrush to knock off the big stuff, and a second 4 min cycle, lube up the necessary parts, and boom done. I cleaned my entire hoard in one afternoon.
    basepaint likes this.
  2. Ronald art

Ronald art Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

watch out with your nozzle dont put it on the bare metal in that cleaner it can get damaged
  3. crewchief227

The basket is plastic
  4. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

I purchase a good number of used and vintage brushes. Some, you may think were never cleaned; not a single time. Needles stuck in the nozzles, and every passage packed with paint. When I am done with them, aside from any physical plating wear, you would be hard pressed to find any other signs of use :). And, certainly no signs of any type of pigment! I love my ultrasonic cleaner! I had one that was maybe 25 or 30 bucks off amazon, and it only lasted maybe half a year before the vibrating part became detached from the stainless container - so it made the right noise, just didn't do anything. I purchased another that is all stainless steal, and weighs maybe 5 pounds - heavy, little brick, and it has been a trooper.
    basepaint, doc1 and crewchief227 like this.
  5. crewchief227

Yeah I would love to probably step up to a nicer one someday if I find myself using this one that much. I did notice on the commercial models the drivers usually still put out the same frequency (about 40-42khz), but the difference is how much power is driving them. I guess the same principal as a speaker, but not in watts, so it's a little hard to judge how powerful they really are. I mean I guess they can be too powerful for the industrial models idk? Not an ultrasonic cleaner expert. Lol
  6. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

It's a good idea, and it sounds tempting, as it would be a great relief and time saver for me, too. Here in China I can get one for below USD 20.
  7. DaveG

Yeah, I don't know much more about them than you do. I just figured that this one was built a bit better than the first one I purchased - I just wanted it to last, without having to replace one every year. I am running the same times with this one, as I did with the first - and see only a little difference in results - with the second one being just a tad more thorough then the first.
    crewchief227 likes this.
  8. crewchief227

Ok ok one more question since we're the only two ultrasonic guys. LOL. Do you use hot water from the tap, or does yours heat? I'm just wondering if you've noticed a difference in using hot or cold. Cause I have used warm water just for the first few runs. Like I said I only know as much as a pitily days worth of off and on YouTube videos on the topic. I got one cause my understudy had one for his tattoo equipment, now he just got a Chinese Micron copy (Doesn't come close to the build and atomization of the real thing), and told me how well it cleaned stuff, so I though why not. $40 isn't a huge investment in the world of airbrushing as far as equipment goes, and if it saves me a couple hours a week. Best one I've made in awhile. Wait idk my last acquisition was a iwata TH, and that thing is pretty dope. Lol
  9. erwin de pan

erwin de pan Needle-chuck Ninja

I use the cleaner almost every day.
    It is ideal for your sb paint cubs.
    When I stop airbrushing I throw them in the cleaner and leave them there until I need them again.
    When I have finished a project I put the micron head in one of the holes of the plastic basket with the nozzle up.
    HellBird and basepaint like this.
  10. DaveG

If you run several cycles, the cleaning solution will warm a little on it's own. I haven;t really found a need to heat anything - although I have tried it. For most normal cleaning you should be good to go. If you feel like you are not quite getting it all, try soaking the parts in Isopropyl Alcohol for a little while, first. It will break down acrylic paint pretty easily, then the cleaner will remove the debris. I do not recommend using combustibles solutions in the cleaner itself, but have on occasion placed a small glass full of either acetone or lacquer thinner in the basket - with small parts in it. Check temperature frequently if doing this.
    doc1 and HellBird like this.
  11. Joe T

Joe T Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

I’ve been tempted to put mine in my ultrasonic cleaner but am Leary. I also think mine is busted because it makes the sound but does nothing else. It’s a harbor freight special so no surprise. With nozzles, do you put them in a small plastic container that’s in the sonic unit? I’ll have to read all above again with some detail as I don’t know if all parts have to come out like rubber etc.

Also, I see reference to cleaning solution..what’s being used as a cleaning solution? Thanks folks
  12. Joe T

Just found a cool test to see if your USC is working. Take a strip of aluminum foil and put it in the USC. holes should start showing up in the foil real quick and continue to grow the longer it’s in there. Mine is working fine. Now to decide if I want to dunk the AB in. Mine has a plastic basket but the holes are way too big and a nozzle would slip right thru..so I need a options here
  13. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

How about a small lidded pot like they put sauce in, put the small parts in that then put the pot in the solution in the cleaner?
    Joe T likes this.
  14. crewchief227

I'm gonna make this as an experiment, but take a film roll canister and drill lots of little holes, small parts should be safe
    basepaint and Joe T like this.
  15. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

To echo Joes question, what are you guys using as the ‘cleaning solution’ @DaveG and @erwin de pan ?
    Joe T likes this.
  16. erwin de pan

erwin de pan Needle-chuck Ninja

Usually just water.
    Sometimes I add some Glass cleaner. They are ammonia
    free here.
    Joe T likes this.
  17. DaveG

I use jewelry soap -comes as a concentrate; you add one cap full to the two cups it takes to fill the cleaner. I think it may also be called "sugar soap". Now, if I am really working on a stubborn brush - I soak in restorer for 1 hour(all o-rings and seals removed). Hit it with small brushes in some of the nooks and crannies, an interdental brush in the nozzle threads. Rinse in warm soapy water, then into the USC. I frequently use AB cleaner, or Isopropyl Alcohol, sometimes Acetone - but, do not want to use two full cups of the stuff! So, I use either a small plastic beaker, or a small juice glass filled with parts and solution placed in the USC bath. When I add nozzles to the mix, they are always in a small glass or beaker. When placing an additional container of any sort into the USC's basket, you automatically cut the force of the vibrations, and this acts as a bit of a buffer against damage...

Honestly, if you use a small film container, and fill it with cleaning solution, there would be no need to drill holes - the vibrations will pass right through it.
    HellBird, Joe T and JackEb like this.
  18. Joe T

Outstanding info Dave thank you. I happen to have the jewelry cleaner as well.. I think I’m going to give this a shot today. It’s the darn nozzles getting clean that make me crazy! So small. I may also drop them in some restorer for an hour like you suggested then in the USC with jewelry cleaner. No film containers in sight for years at my house so I may just use one of those tiny 1 oz mixing cups I have. Should work fine.
  19. DaveG

Joe, I am going to say this with the most sincerest of intentions - you worry too much :). I can tell you from what I follow on the various forums and boards that all you need is more time, and practice. A nozzle does not really get that dirty, unless abused for days on end with no cleaning. If you are flushing your brush during and after use, pulling the needle when done, and wiping with a clean tissue or cloth, you are probably good to go. Work with your paint reduction and air pressure, and above all, just spend time spraying... Continually taking the brush apart, and changing things will cause more problems than it will solve.

I clean all my used brushes when I get them - the rest, the ones I use day in and day out, I may run through the USC once a year, and that is just for routine - not because they "need" it.
    HellBird, JackEb and Joe T like this.
  20. Joe T

You sir are 100% correct. It’s called ocd and I got it bad. Lol. Thank you for saying it! I think I’ll print this out and post it by my painting area. I will say I have not really tore them down that much but that darn .18 is so touchy if not clean. I also keep forgetting to pull the needle and wipe it down, that may be part of my issue.

And, my Wife says the same thing...I worry too much. So no offense at all taken. Maybe if enough people say it to me it will sink in. Lol
    HellBird likes this.