Why erase and not spray

S

Smiler65

While I've been reading a lot of wip's & sbs's I've noticed a lot of the fir and hair textures are done with a lot of erasing techniques.
Is there a reason for this and not spraying the effect?
I know you get tip dry while spraying white,is this a main consideration?
I've also noticed that people erase or mask the highlight in eyes but when you look at the pic the highlight still looks as though it's on the top of the eye and not the bottom of the layer,if that makes sense.

I'm not too sure about erasing. I don't do much art like that. But I think the reason it looks like it's still on top and not the bottom layer is because in the photo you create depth perception with shading so it brings out that bottom layer too look like it's on top

Its much easier to use eraser to get hair details into a painting then by spraying them one by one in. And the same goes for the highlights.....if you keep the highlights clean with every layer you sprayed then it appears to be on top but if you look from up close then you will see easily that it just has no paint there on those spots. Brings out the really bright spots. However single hairs are being sprayed on the painting in the spots where its overlapping the background and also easier to do like this.

If you erase or paint the fur is a personal choice, both methods are valid. The main reason I use erasing techniques on fur is because it just works a whole lot faster also you don't have to worry about the blue shift of white paint.

Your question/remark about the eye highlight I don't completely get. The highlight should apear to be at the top as it's a reflection of the "outer part" of the eye.

Thanks for the replies.

@haasje dutchairbrush with regards to the highlight, yes it should be on top of the eye as it is a reflection of the "outer part" as you say, but I don't understand how it looks to be on top,knowing it is at the bottom layer/paper.
Is it the shape of the highlight,curved, that gives it the illusion of being on top.
Sorry I know what I want to ask but not very good at writing it down.

I am not very experienced in portraits I have done a handful and only one was done with erasing technique, but it was much easier and I do intend to work with that method more , I just have other projects in line to complete first.

Thanks for the replies.

@haasje dutchairbrush with regards to the highlight, yes it should be on top of the eye as it is a reflection of the "outer part" as you say, but I don't understand how it looks to be on top,knowing it is at the bottom layer/paper.
Is it the shape of the highlight,curved, that gives it the illusion of being on top.

It's the color and the way we see things, our brain has the habbit to percieve light as something that is on top (sun is above, lighter shades are generaly on top catching most light). If you were to put a black dot in an eye we would percieve it as a hole.

Thanks for the replies.

I understand what it is you mean, you would think that because you scrape back to white it should appear behind, but because it's lighter and sharper your brain brings it to the front, it's actually just a pretty amazing illusion.

Generally when you look at a painting anything that is lighter will always appear to be closer than areas that are darker, however that goes out the window when you factor in transparency and out of focus or blurred areas such as in landscape paintings we push objects into the distance by making slightly transparent, slightly out of focus and somewhat lighter.

Now I've gone and done it again, Damn near made it sound like I know what I'm on about:)

I understand what it is you mean, you would think that because you scrape back to white it should appear behind, but because it's lighter and sharper your brain brings it to the front, it's actually just a pretty amazing illusion.

Generally when you look at a painting anything that is lighter will always appear to be closer than areas that are darker, however that goes out the window when you factor in transparency and out of focus or blurred areas such as in landscape paintings we push objects into the distance by making slightly transparent, slightly out of focus and somewhat lighter.

Now I've gone and done it again, Damn near made it sound like I know what I'm on about:)
It's ok MB we all know better but well explained either way. It is amazing how our eyes are trained to percieve things there has been some shows on TV aout it. Some do things like change peoples colors of there shirts and other things that you would think you would notice but you don't. They also went into the illusion of depth with use of color.

It's ok MB we all know better but well explained either way. It is amazing how our eyes are trained to percieve things there has been some shows on TV aout it. Some do things like change peoples colors of there shirts and other things that you would think you would notice but you don't. They also went into the illusion of depth with use of color.

Thank god for that, I work very hard at keeping my level of intelligence down, or should I say lack of, so naturally I would hate to be accused of being smart, that's even worse than being accused smiling, an action which if I attempted it would not only totally break my face, but would put me completely out favour with my in laws:eek::confused::cool:

It for me is just a preference thing, in most cases i spray my highlights in, but saying that I never leave the pure white of canvas, I tend to always fog that canvas white down and then re-apply it so it doesn't jump out too much. my main reason for spraying a highlight in is because I don't like hard edges, especially in portraits but at times a hard edge may be required and in those cases I may reach for an eraser, experiment with both as both have there uses. Good luck.

And therfore, no airbrush flying at warp speed through the studio:whistling:
That most probably will still happen when I start, hopefully this weekend as I nearly have everything together.
Got my lazy Susan so my easel will be done today/tomoz then I can finally unpack my AB, had it since beginning of month and have been itching( and no I haven't been to the docs before anyone commentslol)to get it out and start learning:thumbsup:

That most probably will still happen when I start, hopefully this weekend as I nearly have everything together.
Got my lazy Susan so my easel will be done today/tomoz then I can finally unpack my AB, had it since beginning of month and have been itching( and no I haven't been to the docs before anyone commentslol)to get it out and start learning:thumbsup:

I can tell you (bad) experience that there will be moments when you just want to lob it all, but I strongly recommend when those times arise that calmly put your stuff to one side and go to other room and scream or whatever cools you down, I've lost that much money destroying stuff in a fit of rage that could easily own 8 microns, so please don't let those moments take control.

That link that you put up is great, they deliver here so end of the month ill be ordering two pieces, postage is the same if I ordered one so I plan to make a new improved version for myself and one to show manufacturers.

Back