For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Why the name?

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Nouk, May 3, 2012.

1. Nouk

Nouk Young Tutorling

Okay, I'm not really sure where I should post this topic so I figured the open bar was my best shot...

Does anyone know why it's called an airbrush?

I've been thinking about it but I can't really come up with a good explanation. I mean It doesn't at all feel the same as working with a brush. At least in my opinion (I work as a freelancer, painting anything form faux marble to seaviews on the backyard wall). So anyone got an idea?
  2. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

It's actually simple, it's because it's so small you can use it just like a paintbrush, but it works with air, and the guy who invented it wanted his money quickly so he just put "air" and "brush" together and came up with "Airbrush"

Hope this helps
  3. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

Basically it would have been a bugger to use but one of the first inventors before Liberty Walkup took off with the idea was Stanleys Atomizer..It utilized a squeeze styled pump that add air to a paint medium and thus the idea of an "Airbrush" was formed..I suppose the word brush is a little misleading..but as he used it for photo and painting touch up and for shading purposes it essentially was just a fancy paintbrush of the time..I assume later the name stuck when I think Paasche took hold of the idea though the name may have come earlier, originally it was called an atomizer, but who would buy something called that LOLOL..Some interesting history can be found at the link below..

http://www.airbrushmuseum.com/airbrush_history_stanley_1.1.htm
  4. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

This is exactly the same as what I said, except totally different, lol

Interesting link, thanks for that, and I checked out your stuff on youtube, awesome, I just know we are all going to learn loads from you.
  5. Nouk

Nouk Young Tutorling

Thanks guys, that helped!

Airbrush does indeed sound a lot 'cooler' than atomizer. Thanks for the link Ace!
  6. Perseus

Perseus Young Tutorling

Thanks for the link Ace. I thought it was Burdick who first invented the airbrush - I now stand corrected. Lots of fun seeing all the different designs of airbrushes.
  7. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

Cld've been mate, I think the historians still disagree LOL..Patent wise I think it was Stanley, but I'm sure others think differently and when its all said and done I suppose in its modern looking configuration it may have come from someone else..I like to think the Australian Aboriginies we're the first as 40,000 yrs ago when the blew paint/pigment from their mouth and used their hand as a stencil so at least Australia can be thanked for the concept of Airbrushing and stencils LOLOLOL.Pity they didn't have patents back then :) .Well I like to think so, gives us downunder some claim to fame ;)
  8. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I would love to know what they are called in different languages. I think in Dutch is is called a "spuit pistolen". We don't have a name for it in Afrikaans (yet).
  9. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

In Dutch it's called "airbrush" only the bigger spray guns used for spraying large surfaces are called spuit pistolen.

I believe Afrikaans is similar to Dutch, my brother speaks Afrikaans but he understands Dutch.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
  10. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Thanks Madbrush. Yes, Afrikaans is very close to Dutch. We can understand each other.
  11. Madbrush

Madbrush Guest

Baie dankie, in Dutch Dank je wel and in English thank you very much, it's not such a big world after all, lol

I think it is also airbrush in most languages, because it is a globally accepted term, if it was translated to Dutch, it would have been "lucht Kwast" kwast being Dutch for brush obviously.