Wicked Colors by Createx

airbrushtutor

Love Spreading Overseer
I lashed out and got a test kit of Wicked and auto air paints so i could give an honest opinion to people about these paints and to educate myself a little more on what's out there.
I have a few people write to me every now and then saying that they have trouble with their white paints, that the airbrush plays up and they struggle to get good detail.
I normally give the advice 'yeah that's white for you' - but i believe a solution is available. It has been found with Createx's auto air/ wicked color white or detail white.

I had three different colors to test;
1. Auto air white
2. Wicked white
3. Wicked detail white.

For the first round no reducer - straight out of the bottle and into the airbrush - iwata hi line hp-ch. 0.3mm tip.

The conclusion was this;

1. With auto air i was able to achieve detail almost equivalent to when using regular automotive solvent based paints. I was honestly not prepared for such an amazing result from auto air as this isn't even createx's top of the line product.
The paint still tends to tip dry as much as any other paint but when it flows you do get some amazing detail.
2. Wicked white - I found the exact same result as with the auto-air white.
3. Wicked detail white - first thing i did was see how fine a line i could airbrush. This tiny line was the same thickness as the tip of my needle. Extremely impressed. Airbrush a few small details and found that tip dry was still a problem but an honest improvement on any other white i've ever used.
Then i added reducer.
Oh my god. This stuff is insane. you get the same level of detail, with a beautifully reliable flow and it cuts tip dry in half.. it's an airbrush artist's dream.

If you ever have problems with your white - let me strongly recommend to you that you purchase a bottle of Wicked Detail White along with some of the applicable reducer. I will recommend this to anyone having problems with their white in future.
Couldn't believe the results from a line of water-based paints..

Strongly recommended.

Thanks for that detailed report about the white´s Mitch.
I only tried the normal Wicked white so far, and without thinning it down i had lots of problems spraying it even with the 0.35 needle nozzle since its a pretty thick paint.
With added reducer it was pretty good though. I also used white from Schminke Aero color professionel and it is a very thin color, but suffers from tip dry pretty bad mostly.
I read that most guys here in germany use the white from Hansa pro color, its made in the USA for Harder and Steenbeck. So i bought a bottle and its a very good white too from what i can tell.
Am going to try out that detail white when i order stuff again to see how it performs against the Hansa white.

Thanks Mitch , I have used AA for a while now , Wicked since it came out and love using both of them. I glad you had the chance to write such a nice review.

I am really happy with the wicked detail white. I'll have to get some of the recommended reducer for it an give that a go. But my thought were the same, I was really struggling with the createx white. I saw the detail white and thought," they wouldn't call it detail white for nothing.". And my first go with the textures was a vast improvement. The paint just made it alot easier.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jvgzw1
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool thanks for the review. I am patiently awaiting the arrival of my Wicked Detail sampler set, among other things! :)

Nice one Mitch, think it's about time for me to invest in some new paints:)

Depending on your use of it, maybe wait for the new Illustration paints. Dunno how long a bottle goes with you ;)
The new paints should hopefully come this summer.

---

Thanks Mitch, for confirming my beliefs on Wicked detail :D
And it will even get much more better with the new generation thats comming :D

All colours in the Wicked Detail range work very very well. I have also found the white (mixed with reducer) to be great for detail.

Depending on your use of it, maybe wait for the new Illustration paints. Dunno how long a bottle goes with you ;)
The new paints should hopefully come this summer.

---

Thanks Mitch, for confirming my beliefs on Wicked detail :D
And it will even get much more better with the new generation thats comming :D

Hi firepanther, my main reason for that remark is that most of the paints I have are still the ones I used 12 years ago, and I have started again and have bought new kit I may as well invest in some new paints!
Paint technology has probably moved on a tad in 12 years plus I realised that almost all the ones I have are opaque, so are createx about to bring some new ones! I really need to get up too speed:)

Wicked detail and the new, to come, Wicked illustration paints, are mostly transparant. So would be a nice addition for you :)

I am going to learn my basics first so can wait a tad longer haha... So hope to get right into the illustration paints, but will see how long they will take.

I only tried the normal Wicked white so far, and without thinning it down i had lots of problems spraying it even with the 0.35 needle nozzle since its a pretty thick paint.

I found the auto air and the especially the wicked detail white, to work better than the normal wicked white also:) strongly recommended.

What was the reducer you used for the wicked detail Mitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the hint Mitch, just called createx and they send me a couple of color samples to me.

@Dylan.. it's the 4011 reducer i think it's called? especially designed for it. water works but the reducer seems to work alot better

i use 0100 wicked reducer. sometime i use 4 drops of paint and 25 drops reducer and it flows like water with little to no tip dry. sometimes have to do 2 or 3 layers.

i use 0100 wicked reducer. sometime i use 4 drops of paint and 25 drops reducer and it flows like water with little to no tip dry. sometimes have to do 2 or 3 layers.

So far I've been using Liquitex Soft Body paints reduced with Golden Airbrush Reducer. I've only been doing this for a couple months and haven't painted anything worth looking at, mostly dots and lines :)

Anyways! So while I understand the idea of what tip dry is I've failed to notice any weird problems while spraying... until tonight... when I received my shipment of new paints: Wicked Detail Colors and Com-Art. I have yet to try the Com-Art but I sprayed Wicked Detail reduced 3 to 1 with 0100 Wicked Reducer and now I know what you're all talking about. It was basically impossible to paint anything it just dried up so fast that it started backflushing after about 15 seconds of spraying. Crazy... I had to clean the tip off every 5 seconds or so to do anything but even so it was impossible to get a consistent spray. I'm going to have to try reducing it 5:1 or more maybe and see what happens. I switched back to liquitex just to see if there was some other issue and it sprayed great as always with zero tip dry as far as I can tell.

I can't believe that video after what I experienced tonight. He says he's reduced it 1:1? Crazy talk! 3:1 dried up almost immediately. Oh well... thats the purpose of trying out new paints eh? Will try over-reducing next time and see what happens.

Edit: The other thing I forgot to add was after 10 mins of painting I had paint dried to the inside of my cup that I am unable to get off now. This stuff dries Wicked fast hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just purchased a range of the Wicked paints.... they are awesome!
Particularly if you are using really fine airbrushes....
It is amazing just how much you can reduce them without any signifcant colour loss.....two thumbs up from me.

[QUOTE/]I can't believe that video after what I experienced tonight. He says he's reduced it 1:1? Crazy talk! 3:1 dried up almost immediately. Oh well... thats the purpose of trying out new paints eh? Will try over-reducing next time and see what happens.

Edit: The other thing I forgot to add was after 10 mins of painting I had paint dried to the inside of my cup that I am unable to get off now. This stuff dries Wicked fast hehe[/QUOTE]

Wicked and Wicked Detail, are my favourite paints. I use the 0100 reducer as it helps to dry quickly. However the ratio I use changes between coulours. I use 1:1 with black, 2:1 or sometimes 3:1 (weather affects this) with white, detail moss green however, I use 1:3 (1 reducer to 3 paint). I guess you just have to play and work out whats best for you. Wicked detail is less prone to tip dry than Wicked, but I don't find it a major problem, and I'm too lazy to strain.

What airbrush do you have Johnny B? If the inside of your cup isn't smooth it could make it difficult to clean out. It dries almost like vinyl so it should just peel off.

I love these paints, the detail colours really pop, haven't tried com art so be good to know what you think.

squishy: I have an Iwata HP-C+. I've added panty hose to my Wicked Detail bottles and I superlube my needle before spraying. Tip dry isn't as bad as it was when I first tried the stuff but it's still pretty bad. Inside my cup is still bad too, the paint dries so fast I have to clean my cup at least every 10 minutes or so otherwise the paint just hardens there. Maybe it's just my environment? I live in Victoria BC though I can't see that causing excessively fast drying of paints. I haven't tried scraping at the paint in the cup to peel it away, I just use a Q-tip to clean the cup out... which I won't be doing after last night as some of the Q-tip must have fallen into the cup and is now jammed in my nozzle and I have no way to clean it out, have to get a cleaning kit or try a toothpick or something. Anyways so far this paint seems great unless you want to do fine detail then it just dries up right away and puts an end to that plan. I've no idea how you guys do it... I reduce 5:1 and am still having to clean the tip with alarming frequency. Can't do a fine line for more than an inch before it starts to become inconsistent. The white is definitely the worst. I'm still playing with it to see if I can figure anything out, I will give up on it at some point though and just use paint that works for me.

I've used the com-art a bit and so far only the white gives me enough tip dry to be a little annoying, the other colors seem manageable. Liquitex Soft Body is still the best so far though from the 3 brands of paint I have used. I still get no noticeable tip dry with it and have not once ever had to clean my tip while using it. Reduced 2:1 with Golden Airbrush Medium. I'd be curious to know what a significantly more experienced air brush artist who has used Wicked paints successfully thinks of Liquitex Soft Body.

Back