Wicked No Tip Dry?

otpowell

Double Actioner
I don't believe this, but this ad says that wicked paints don't tip dry.. This isn't true is it? I have a couple wicked colors, pearl white and the uv base and white and haven't really noticed tip dry.. The bulk of my paint is spectra-tex & HOK. Also, how come some people don't like regular createx paints? I have some of their pearls and they seem to spray fine when reduced.. What's the difference between say, createx & wicked. Wicked & auto-air is made by createx, so what's the difference? Manufacturing tolerances? Is com-art the best water based paint? I herd that stuff is great for detail, I have a few of com-art bottles that came with my iwata.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359238242.973246.jpg

I've never used Wicked so I can't comment, but I have some normal createx and I hate it, it's too heavily pigmented and is basically tip dry in a bottle, I only use it now for brushing (hairy type).

Some of the others will chip in with info over the wicked for you, just grab a coffee, sit back and wait, lol

no bro , its not true, unfortunately,, still tip dry......but the more you thin it down,,, the less problem you have with tip dry... and thats the good thing about wicked.. you can thin it to the extreme and still get great performace out ot it, i have used com art and it is pretty damn good also.. but lately i have been using liquitex basic tube paints , mix the color i want and thin them with water and never have tip dry...

I have Liquitex t use paint too.. I basically quit using because when I first started, I didn't know to filter tube paint to it kept clogging.. I decided to buy a bunch of spectra-tex.. I still have tins of tube paint on my shelf..

well i put my liquitex paint in a paint cup,, add just a little water and mix it, then i grdually add more water until it is about the consistency of milk.. i do not filter the paint bacause i havent found a way to do that yet,, coffee filter dont work and i have not found a mesh wire small enough to retain the microscopic particles of paint,, but even so i rarely get a clogged ab, or tip dry... the last to painting i added to my gallery were done with liquitex,, i dont even worry bout tip dry aNYMORE, I CAN PAINT FOR HOURS WITH OUT IT...BUT WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT MOST , YOU HAVE TOTAL CONTROL OF THE COLOR YOU ARE MIXING , IF YOU WANT TO ADD A SPECK, YOU CAN,, THAT JUST MY OPINION BUT I LIKE USING IT,, BEST OF LUCK BRO

any paint mainly white will have tip dry.. it is the nature of the beast . Even urethane white has tip dry .

any paint mainly white will have tip dry.. it is the nature of the beast . Even urethane white has tip dry .
i have no tip dry with liquitex tube white, and that is the majortiy of my flesh color... and yeah i failed spelling in kindergarted also failed playdough

i have no tip dry with liquitex tube white, and that is the majortiy of my flesh color... and yeah i failed spelling in kindergarted also failed playdough

I have to try the liquidtex I have here and spelling is so over rated...

Wicked has less tip dry because is solvent based , and tip dry is most on water based paints (that's what I heard , correct me if i'm wrong)

I have some normal createx and I hate it, it's too heavily pigmented and is basically tip dry in a bottle

I'm using createx and tip dry happens constantly , drive me mad , I stand it because I read here that is normal and I must get used to it.

Here in Argentina , the brands of water based paints that I can find are Com-Art , Createx , Badger y Paasche (and some other national brands).
Which one you think is the best ?

of all the brands you list i would choose com art.. i have never used badger paints so i cant say anything bout that brand...other folks on here have used many brands also..hopefully they will chip in.

of all the brands you list i would choose com art.. i have never used badger paints so i cant say anything bout that brand...other folks on here have used many brands also..hopefully they will chip in.

I have to say I have had far less tip dry with com-art than the rest.

Wicked has less tip dry because is solvent based , and tip dry is most on water based paints (that's what I heard , correct me if i'm wrong)

I'm using createx and tip dry happens constantly , drive me mad , I stand it because I read here that is normal and I must get used to it.

Here in Argentina , the brands of water based paints that I can find are Com-Art , Createx , Badger y Paasche (and some other national brands).
Which one you think is the best ?

I don't know if you can get it where you are, but I only use Schminke aerocolor and although I get a little tip dry it's not often and very acceptable, as mentioned almost all whites known for tip dry but I put that in my neo.

Wicked is solvent based? Really????

From what I understand, it is water based, but does have some mild solvents in it to help with tip dry. I believe Their Auto Air and Auto Borne colors are the same. Since it does have some type of solvent, they refer to them as water borne, rather than water based. Its not like HOK or any of the true solvent based lines.

I've only just started airbrushing a few months back, and have only used wicked black and white.

I had a lot of issues when starting out, but am getting use to the paint now. From my experience, wicked works well when heavily reduced. But coverage can be an issue, and getting a true black is quite difficult.
Tip dry is still a problem, especially when not properly reduced. White is a real pain in the a**

Tip dry is inherent to airbrushing. You are drying paint while you are applying paint, some of it will dry within the nozzle or on the needle. That's why all paints and all airbrushes tip dry/clog eventually. Through pressure adjustment, paint manipulation, and things like needle juice you can reduce and minimize tip dry - but it will still occur eventually because you are applying the paint with air and thus drying it well your applying it - leading to eventual tip dry. Watch any artists with any airbrush and any paint and you will eventually see them pick at the tip of their airbrush to remove the tip dry.

Back