Wicked or Wicked Detail?

AndreZA

Air-Valve Autobot!
So I want to experiment with some other paint. But seeing that I have to import it, I obviously want the best price and fastest shipping. So I will get paint form two UK shops which both stock these to paint. And before you comment on "What about Dru Blair's new Illustration paint?". I have considered it, but is is quite a bit more then the two already mentioned.

So a lot of people use plain Wicked and they get good results. I read that Detail is transparent so you will have to buffer it. Maybe mix and match with a Wicked white, black and red and Detail for the others?

Any comments appreciated.

And no thank you, I don't want to look at Etac or other makes. At the moment it is just the two mentioned above.

Honestly, the only difference I can tell between the two is how fine the pigment is ground. The detail line is ground finer than the plain Wicked. I've experienced a lot more clogging issues with plain wicked because of this (and some colors are worse than others). Now, I strain all the plain wicked through some panty hose prior to spraying it which solved the problem (I don't normally strain the detail line). As far as sprayabilty is concerned, I can't tell the two apart as long as I strain the Wicked. I get the same detail with both; however, I do think the plain Wicked is better for gradated fades. It doesn't appear as "grainy" as the detail colors do... but that's just nit picking!

Main thin I noticed is when Wicked Detail is over reduced it build the color slower and can give an almost trans parent feel to it.
Plus I do not have to reduce as much on the detail to flow great through the Micron.

detail is by no means a transparent colour and you have to knock it back with a lot of trans base to get it anywhere near what may resemble a trans colour.....however i do you use the detail colours as that is what i started with so that is what im used to.... you can reduce the hell out of it, 20:1 no problem it still holds together (works alot better with reducer than water however) after trying the illustration sample set (black white and reducer) i am considering gradually buying these colours as they are great!!

I found the paynes grey saved alot of hassle also as the black is quite heavily pigmented, you don't need alot in white to make a grey.....the paynes is obviously just a bit more off a consistent method

I found the paynes grey saved alot of hassle also as the black is quite heavily pigmented, you don't need alot in white to make a grey.....the paynes is obviously just a bit more off a consistent method

Thanks ad fez. But just as I do in paint brush painting, I will only use black if the subject is true black. Otherwise I always use Payne's grey. and to get it darker I will use Alisarin crimson to give it a red hue or ultramarine to move it to blue.

yer bro thats what i mean, but you dont get the paynes in the primary obviously so i just meant it may be worth picking one of them up also

yeah I'm a day late on this but I know from the information I got from createx the main difference is in the pigment size as stated!!

Back