Wicked paints..... detail/stardard/opaque?

M

Max Chickens

Hi guys...i moved this from another thread...any help would be appreiciated.

I have a query with wicked paints.....theres standard and detail.....whats the difference? at the start i was thinking standard=opaque and detail=transucent...apparently thats wrong cause ive noticed some colours eg black and white have 3 kinds (white standard, white opaque and white detail)

ive looked on the wicked site and googled the excrement out of it.....but no help......confusing.
Thanks​

Basically the detail is your transparent side of wicked. It is for detailing your painting and not just blasting a load of color on it. Its also good for color shifting your opaque and standard colors slightly or a lot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hi guys...i moved this from another thread...any help would be appreiciated.
I have a query with wicked paints.....theres standard and detail.....whats the difference? at the start i was thinking standard=opaque and detail=transucent...apparently thats wrong cause ive noticed some colours eg black and white have 3 kinds (white standard, white opaque and white detail)

ive looked on the wicked site and googled the excrement out of it.....but no help......confusing.
Thanks​

"Wicked Colors are sheered to a binder size of 0.5 microns and dry semi-gloss level of 70+ degrees. Wicked Detail Colors are sheered to a particle size of 0.1 microns and dry to a flat finish of 30+ degrees"

As seamonkey said, The Wicked Detail range has finer ground particles/pigments for achieving finer detail.

Both WICKED Standard and Detail are OPAQUE , But because the detail is ground much finer as stated . The more you reduce it the more transparent you can make it. But if you use the Detail White mixed 1:1 you will find it much brighter than the standard WICKED white mix the same. This is because there is more pigment in the detail. That is also why you can super over reduce the detail paints too.
As far as the semi gloss /Flat of them I do not see the difference when shot at the same mix ratio.

Micron, then why would anyone use the standard colour if the detail is finer and brighter?

Micron, then why would anyone use the standard colour if the detail is finer and brighter?

Different effects for one thing, and most will use a combo of Detail over standard to get more depth in an area. Depending on the subject matter I am painting is how I use the WICKED line. If I want a ghostly image say like doing a phantom person or train, I will use mostly the detail white reduced way down, But will use the standard white for high light due to super bright highlights would kill the piece.
Mainly in any type of painting there is no one paint or one reduction to do it all. It is learning how the paint system you pick works, All the ins and outs of that system .
Compared to Trident Super 8(All they make is 8 colors) with those 8 colors you can go from Opaque to a candy depending on how you reduce it. But you have to learn how to reduce it for what effect you are trying to get,
Uros you have to learn how to judge flash times between coats , When to lay inter coat clear between colors to avoid color shifts and bleeds .
The WICKED Details kind of depend on the shifts when reduced to aid in the different hues and tones you can get.
Plus not all the colors in the Standard line are in the Detail Line. and some colors are Detail line only.
But now why would any one need any colors beside Red, Blue and Yellow Black and white? With those colors you can mix all the rest right?

Mainly bottom line is whatever paint system you pick to use , Learn it , know it. I am no expert on WICKED yet, but I have learn a lot by just trying different things. One thing I learned from Steve Driscoll is to make notes of paint mixtures and reduction ratios so I can remake the same color over and over again when needed.
Hope that answers your question.

yeah thats great Mr Micron....really given me something to think about....i might dish out for both and experiment with what effects it creates etc....

thanks for taking the time to answer.

Max

Max
That is what I did when WICKED first came out. Createx was sending out free samples 4 Oz. bottles at that , I received 2 standard Black and White and 1 Detail white plus a bottle of reducer. I am not sure if they are still doing it since it has been on the market a while But never hurts to jump on their websites and shoot them an email. Tell them you have heard great things about their product and wonder if it is worth the investment.
Might work and save you some money. Just in case you find it is not to your liking.
Being your in Australia I would be hitting up Daniel Powers for a sample of his Trident , But here in the States 8 - 4 oz bottles and a 16 oz bottle of reducer is 125 dollars U.S. According to people I know who have used it , they all say it flows like uros.

thanks for the help mirco....but i already ordered a wicked starter set......i might just order a detail white so i can have a play and see what happens....ive never heard of trident....ill look if up and suss it out.

Thanks again mate.

The Wicked Detail line doesn't have a standard "Detail Red" or "Detail Blue". Detail Cobalt Blue looks the best option for blue. But red has a number of options... I'd think my color options are limited if I can't get just... red.... What do you guys think? Suggestion for which Detail red to go with. They've got 'Detail Yellow' at least... so thats good! :)

That is another reason I use the standard WICKED color.No straight red you can pick Carmine or magenta or dark magenta none of which is red , Now yellow is yellow But you would need Cyan to match color off say a computer pic. So no it is not perfect.
Also the do have a W200 transparent base for making them more transparent.
Max Trident is made in Australia http://www.dna-paints.com/contact.htm Scoresby, Victoria I know Daniel Powers had a hand in making it. Or that is what I have read on other forums Daniel visits.
Here is a link to the pricing...http://www.dna-paints.com/specialpaints/bazecoats/trident.htm#Pricing

scarlet and carmine.... scarlet i would believe you would use that layered for a brighter red effect and carmine is a lil darker for better values on a painting. usually my pallette would include a light AND dark version of the 3 primary colors they dont have to be exactly blue or red looking but close is good and then theres always color matching if u want that exact look. this comparison also is like cadmium yellow( light) and yellow ochre (dark) using the tube acrylics or oils as an example.

Max
That is what I did when WICKED first came out. Createx was sending out free samples 4 Oz. bottles at that , I received 2 standard Black and White and 1 Detail white plus a bottle of reducer. I am not sure if they are still doing it since it has been on the market a while But never hurts to jump on their websites and shoot them an email. Tell them you have heard great things about their product and wonder if it is worth the investment.
Might work and save you some money. Just in case you find it is not to your liking.
Being your in Australia I would be hitting up Daniel Powers for a sample of his Trident , But here in the States 8 - 4 oz bottles and a 16 oz bottle of reducer is 125 dollars U.S. According to people I know who have used it , they all say it flows like uros.

Just my 2 cents, I am a HoK guy and I decided to go ahead and buy the entire Wicked Detail line, mainly for the fine arts side of things. (Although I have used it on metal) The learning curve took awhile to adjust to but honestly it does not spray the same as HoK. For water-based paints, probably the best I've sprayed with, but I just recently switched back to HoK. It's a personal choice, I say try several paint brands and see which one works for you. I agree with trying Trident, I wouldn't mind trying that either. I have a feeling that would be a better choice than WD, not quite sure of the price difference though I know WK is pretty inexpensive through Coast.

Back