wicked waterbased paint

T

toammy

hi guys sorry if this question has been answered already but is it possible to make semi opaque wicked paint act like a transparent paint for shading... i find the semi opaque way too harsh and struggle to blend the shadows in without having serious issues with over darkening everything.... thanks in advance
Toammy

Np at all. And lots of people have the same issue.

With w500 reducer you can reduce wicked tremendously.. 10 15 parts reducer to paint is pretty normal for me on details.
I also like the wicked detail paints (finer pigment size) for that.

Secondly when you are shading the color you use to shade with makes a big impact. Say if I'm doing an American flag... I would use Paynes grey not black. For other things I shade my color I'm working on.

its mostly for skulls and the like just now... black and white colours... im going to buy some wicked detail paints this week and try them i hear they act like transparent paints right out the bottle? but i have plenty of semi opaque black and white so was hoping to try it with them just now... thanks for the reply

The detail paints do act like transparents, well worth a go. As for the semi's, as well as reducing try some transparent base. Its basically paint without pigment (looks milky, but actually comes out clear) and adding a few drops to the cup, lessens the concentration of pigment, so you can get more subtle fades and blends. Worth playing around with to get the effect you want.

You will not find wicked spraying well right out of the bottle unless your running a big tip and high pressures.
Even the detail paints.

i actually have transparent base so i will use that next time im set up.. its usually a 0.5 set up i use in my iwata eclipse and ive never had any real problems have some issue with water bit thats definitely due to Scottish weather haha... thanks for the advice guys i really appreciate it

New Mini Airbrush Air Filter Moisture Water Trap Air Brush Spray Gun 1 ___.jpg No worries :) Do you have an inline water trap like this? They're only a couple of quid, and catch anything your main filter misses.

Here is some info regarding transparent bases I got from Createx.

"Auto Air 4004 and Wicked W200 are the same resin base (Wicked Detail Colors use a different resin base, however it’s not available as a transparent base, same as the resin used to make Auto Air 4600 Series Candy – Pigment Colors)

5601 Createx Airbrush Colors Transparent Base is its own resin, unique to the Createx Airbrush Colors line

5090 Createx Illustration Colors Transparent Base is its own resin, unique to the Createx Illustration Colors line. "

yeah got one on there... plus got the tank and a water trap at the compressor... but still dollops of water manage to pop out at the worst possible times... usually when im up that close im cross eyed haha but hey thats the joys of living in a region that if it rained anymore we would all evolve into having gills....

yeah got one on there... plus got the tank and a water trap at the compressor... but still dollops of water manage to pop out at the worst possible times... usually when im up that close im cross eyed haha but hey thats the joys of living in a region that if it rained anymore we would all evolve into having gills....

If you can't see water in any of your traps you could be having separation issues with your paint, especially if there is any chance it been frozen, some colours are prone to separation whether they have frozen or not and even when they are new, I always had separation problems with umbers and olive green colours, usually mixing them frequently by blowing back helps but I would generally use very small amounts rather than fill the cup.

hmmmm thats interesting how do you remedy this little issue

If your paint has been frozen, it's useless, if it's because of the colour just keep checking it and mixing it frequently, you can do that by hold your fingers over the front of your brush and blow back, if it is really old paint that might not work, I don't know if you strain your paint but that is also a wise strategy, many of us have a filter over the bottleneck with the lid screwed on to hold it in place so we can strain as we go.

If your paint has been frozen, it's useless, if it's because of the colour just keep checking it and mixing it frequently, you can do that by hold your fingers over the front of your brush and blow back, if it is really old paint that might not work, I don't know if you strain your paint but that is also a wise strategy, many of us have a filter over the bottleneck with the lid screwed on to hold it in place so we can strain as we go.
hmmm ive never thought about straining but i think its definitely next on the shopping list! might save me from the constant spiders i create all over the place.... thanks for the advice i will definitely be looking into it

hmmm ive never thought about straining but i think its definitely next on the shopping list! might save me from the constant spiders i create all over the place.... thanks for the advice i will definitely be looking into it

For straining you can use old (or new) panty hose cut into little squares and just stretch it over the bottle neck then secure with the lid, that's all I did.

a long thin stiff piece of wire, bend a hook/circle into the end then use it to give the paint a really really really good stir. all paint will settle, some quicker than others, and if you haven't used it for awhile it will be thick at the bottom, and thin /watery at the top, even a quick shake will not mix properly.

For straining you can use old (or new) panty hose cut into little squares and just stretch it over the bottle neck then secure with the lid, that's all I did.

This does work well, however with some of the more heavily pigmented colours like black and white (I find black worse) , what is left behind in the bottle can become quite concentrated and affect paint flow, again trans base is helpful here.

Back