wife doesnt like the noise

I

irish44395

I have a Harbor freight 3 gal pancake compressor . My wife is starting to complain about the noise not that it runs a lot but enough for her to complain. She tell me to go get one that is more quiet. Just wondering if anyone knows the db rating on this compressor ? All the ones I look at on line are around 60 db. I just want to make sure I get a quieter one so I am not dead meat after I buy one . Any help would be great .
Pete

60 db is about the level of a conversation. Yours is probably more like 85-90 db. A silent is around 30 db. My 60db compressor can be run all night,while my family sleeps and they do not hear it. California Air tools makes a great unit, runs at about 60 db, and hey are reliable. You can find them in Amazon and eBay or at coast airbrush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Go find an industrial sized Styrofoam cooler big enough to house it. Should help lower the noise for you. A lot cheaper too. I am waiting for cook out season to come back here to do the same. Not because it's to loud, but its scares the bejeebus out of me if I am concentrating and it jumps to life.

might help to line that cooler with a bit of foam, just watch the temps though.
there are medical compressors that are super quiet, just a tad expensive. Otherwise try compressed air from a scuba tank if you have a scuba shop near you. (I think I am going to have to do a quick TIP with pics with my setup)

I'm with WMLEPAGE. I have a local one one that runs the same motor as the California air compressors. My wife sleeps in the room next door with doors open and she does not complain. She complains more about my music which is just a bit louder then the compressor.

Thanks for the replies. I going to look at the California air compressor at home depot today . I just want to make sure that it's quieter than the one I got
Pete

Hi irish,
Why don't you take your compressor with you then you can listen to them next to each other in the shop and hear the difference on the spot :)

My old compressor was 55dB and it got louder the longer I used it in a session. It was not only the noise but also the vibrations that disturbed my neighbours. I now have a 40dB (sounds like a fridge) compressor and it is fantastic. I could airbrush all night and not disturb a soul :)
Cheers Mel

Problem solved . I just ordered a cat4610a on line will get it with in the next week . I showed the wife a u tube video comparing a compressor that looked like mine and a C.A.T and she just said go order it so I did before she could change her mine. Its nice when its her Idea.
Pete

Great choice on a great compressor.. I was going to recomend getting rid of the wife but the new compressor is probably cheaper and a lot less hassle
PS please do not let mine see this

Great choice on a great compressor.. I was going to recomend getting rid of the wife but the new compressor is probably cheaper and a lot less hassle
PS please do not let mine see this
I am on my third wife so not really wanting to go that route . I got the 4610a and the wife is happy again. Played all day and not a peep out of her. Life is good
Pete

Back