For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Working life

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Jimmyfingerz, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Jimmyfingerz

Jimmyfingerz Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Good evening
    Feeling a bit thoughtful tonight after a double shift in work and wondering how much work impacts peoples want to paint.
    I've just come off a 16 hour shift, well it's the evening after and I just haven't got the energy to want to paint......Is it just me looking for excuses or is it something everyone deals with?
    I mean we all do arty stuff but how much does work play a part in your want to be more active and your want to just sit there and think how much you need to win the lottery lol
    I want to paint or draw daily to help my progression but a working life and bills holds me back or am I holding myself back and just need to accept at some stages i'm going to have to paint or draw tired or uninspired?
    Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated, I need you all to attempt to be my muses or inspire me to put aside the stuff in life I believe is holding me back:cry:
  2. musicmacd

musicmacd The Createx Bandit Very Likeable!

Work is painful :) I find living in Slavelandia the real problem
    Jimmyfingerz likes this.
  3. Jimmyfingerz

Think i’m there with you Mac.
    6 months of callouts a year is killing me slowly I think.
    How do you do it though Mac, you bang out artwork like a machine.
    Where do you find the motivation?
    Honest opinion because if I could get that source of motivation you have to just plug away I think I’d nail anything in life lol
    You must be doing a minimum of an 8 hour day so do you do it out of enjoyment or do you do it because you are in a routine?
    There must be a method to your madness where with me I just seem to go nope been working too much you need to relax.
    The bizarre thing is art is one of the most relaxing processes going so why I can’t tap into thay is beyond me
    musicmacd likes this.
  4. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

I've always had the belief that if you really want to do something you will find a way to do it.
    I'm like you, although i dont do 16 hour shifts, I work full time and real life impacts on available paint time. But then you look at people like @musicmacd and the MAKE time to paint.

I have 1,001 excuses why I dont paint more, but they are just that, excuses. When Paint Pal time rolls around I always manage to find the time to do them, so there's really no reason why I couldnt find time to do more non paint pal paintings.
    I'm currently set up outside in my garage...... I melt in summer and freeze in winter but i'm on the home stretch to getting set up inside (rental property so I"ve been trying to work out a way to come inside but minimise overspray and having to repaint if I leave lol)

If you have a painting area all set up ready to go, try just setting aside an hour every night to throw paint at paper.
    Jimmyfingerz likes this.
  5. Jimmyfingerz

Yeah I kind of feel it is me just being lazy.
    Like i love doing art stuff and want to do it more so maybe just need to light that fire under my own arse.
    I don’t know about others but I sit here and look at macs,adreas or michas work and just never expect to get to their level.
    Its an excuse thing isn’t it because I know they all put the time in come rain, moon or shine.
    It does boil down to laziness I suppose but for me its just trying to understand what drives them on.
    When I paint or draw I love it but maintaining that i’m struggling with at the moment :sour:
  6. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Yes, its laziness, and I'm right there with you.
    There are days my brain is just fried after a full day at work, but like you I do enjoy airbrushing, and i do find it relaxing.
    I think we both need the fire lit under out butts lol
    Jimmyfingerz likes this.
  7. Jimmyfingerz

Ok Jack i’m gonna make an hour
    Definitely, if you find that fire chuck some my way please lol
  8. DaveG

DaveG Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Shoot, I kind of long for the normalcy a regular schedule would/could provide. I am a full time caregiver for my wife, and it seems like no two days are ever the same. Between caring for her, and then being at our oversized puppy dogs beckoning call (165lbs of goofiness) it is really hard for me to pick a regular schedule to sit down and work in the studio. I kid my wife that she has a light that goes on someplace, that indicates the moment that my arse has just applied maximum pressure to whatever seat cushion I may sit on - because that moment, when I have JUST gotten settled into a seat, is when she will need my assistance. Never fails. I don't blame her, cause I know if she could make a choice, it would be completely different - but, it is what it is.

I have a goal of entering a few large shows next year, and if I am going to have the inventory on hand to make it worth while, I have got to get a move on!
    Jimmyfingerz likes this.
  9. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

I have to say something here: if you work a 40 hr work week and you can't find time to paint, yes you're probably just lazy. But a 16 hour shift??? Get the bleep outta here. It DOES take energy to create art... whether it's painting or writing or composing music or whatever. It takes a lot of energy. And when the gas tank is on empty, you aren't gonna go nowhere.
    I was just contemplating today why my Paint Pals look so terrible- Its because I was exhausted and rushed through them. Thats what bothers me. If I could be well rested and relaxed and feel inspired, I would be proud of my work regardless of what garbage it looks like ;) I haven't written a song in years. When I try to think of lyrics all I get is "I'm tired".

Anyhoo, I feel ya on the please Lord let me win the lottery feeling. I don't want to buy fancy stuff, I just want my time back! So don't feel bad if you are too tired to paint- You earned the right to feel that way!!!
    Jimmyfingerz likes this.
  10. Franc Kaiser

Franc Kaiser Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

We got it all, the slump of when coming home from work. A real problem, and it's good that you're addressing it.

Some strategies:
    • Create a real goal that puts the pressure on you: Artists are never more productive than when they open an exhibition in a few days from now. A goal could be to exhibit your work in a gallery, restaurant, or elsewhere, and you need to have an oevre of at least 10 paintings... hence you need to hurry up to put the portfolio together. Another goal could be to do a series of painting around a common topic, and then go through the factettes of the topic (a good example may be musicmacd's Marvel series).
    • "Paint" even if you're not painting: Each day I take a picture of the work in progress with my phone, and during work (breaks, travel, etc.) I look at it, looking at what parts look good and I could go more into the direction of, what parts need to be changed or improved... Also, my paintings are rather large in format, looking at the work on a small screen helps to condense the composition, colors, etc, and it makes it more manageable to think about what the next steps could be. Naturally, when looking at it, I want to paint right away, but can't as I am at work. Hence, the tension and giddiness builds up over the day.
    • Make it a part of a process: I find it hard to come home, eat dinner, put the kids to bed, and then sit down and start painting immediately, just like an automated task. If I do that then it really lacks consciousness and also the real excitement. Instead, it's better to sit in front (or closeby, if that helps) of the painting, and gather the thoughts before even turning on the compressor. This may be 5 minutes, 30 minutes, or an hour... you could also call it meditation, I guess.
    • If you don't feel it, then...: Either don't do it (that's perfectly ok! sometimes its good to win a bit distance to the dear passion called airbrushing...), or plow through it anyway.
    • Energy kicks: Coffee helps, or your favorite drink, or a short work-out before you start airbrushing. Listen to music that inspires you.
    jord001, Jimmyfingerz and DaveG like this.
  11. Jimmyfingerz

So at least i’m human......
    It’s good to know it can be a struggle to be motivated for others too.
    I think i’m going to try and set goals like suggested by Franc, probably be the best thing to build up a routine.
    Problem I have with my job is it consumes so much of my life and time its hard to get into a routine with my personal time but it is something we probably all deal with so.........
    No excuses from today, I wanna be a machine like Mac lol
    Franc Kaiser likes this.
  12. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

Kilsyth, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, Planet Earth
    Its not just work that can halt your motivation, anything at all that goes on around you can have the same effect, I've had almost everything I needed to makes a new start since just after Christmas but waiting for all kinds of renovation work to my house stops me actually making a start, I find it hard to do anything or to concentrate when I have to worry about other things, the ideal environment for me is to have absolutely nothing else to think about except what I might be working on, I know for sure that as soon as I dig all my gear out and sit down to make a start there will be a knock at the door and everything needs to be packed away again, on top of this, the day is coming when you also have wonder "what shall I paint now?", that comes to us all:)
    Jimmyfingerz likes this.
  13. Jimmyfingerz

Yea I suppose there is all forms of distraction.
    I’m on holiday next week so will be more relaxed but the wife will be on my case and bored lol
    I can see me being on here the week after grumbling that my personal life I have too many distractions haha
    Hope you’re good Malky :D
    Malky likes this.
  14. RichardH

RichardH Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

I have a different lifestyle. I am retired ( for 8 years now) and have all the time in the days to do what I want to. I think what bothers me is what to paint.
    I have been painting cartoons and kids stuff to pass the time. My concentration is giving me a problem now. I can't seem to stay on the same thoughts for very long. I have tried portraits but after a couple of hours of messing with it, I lose the concentration of what needs to be done and then the mistakes start happening.
    On another thought, when I worked, I don't see how I got anything done other than work but I had plenty of hobbies to do when the weekend came around. I think I got more accomplished with working on what my hobby was at the time when I did work.
    Time just flies now. Seemed like forever to get to the weekend when I worked but now it comes so fast it's scary.
    I am not one to want to paint like someone else.
    I am also like DaveG in that I have to take care of my wife. I do all the cleaning, shopping, cooking etc.etc. She has had 2 major back surgeries in the last 5 years and is not able to stand but for a short time.

So long story short. Use your spare time wisely and just enjoy what you can do and not so much about what you can't do.

Richard
    Franc Kaiser and Jimmyfingerz like this.
  15. Malky

I'm doing fine thank you, in a lots of pain and very weak but no more than I'm used to, I'm expecting some changes in my meds soon which will hopefully ease it a little.

I can almost guarantee while you're on holiday if you don't actually go away on holiday you're wife will find a few chores for you to do which is of course understandable :)

I seriously need to get painting, I'm climbing the walls with boredom, if I have a good day I usualky jump on a bus and make my way to Glagow and treat myself to breakfast just to break the monotony but I do love it there, there is so much to see and loads of art shops, you probably saw in the news that the Glagow School of art has burned down, tgat is realky sad, it was designed by Charles Rennie McIntosh and part of the building was pretty much a shrine to him, they are investigating the possibility of a full restoration of the building, I really hope that succeeds, this was apparently the second fire in 4 years there and there is speculation that this time might be the fault of the builders doing restoration work from the previous fire.
    Franc Kaiser and Jimmyfingerz like this.
  16. Jimmyfingerz

The wife will definitely find me chores.
    I can already sense her plotting my schedule lol
    JackEb likes this.
  17. musicmacd

musicmacd The Createx Bandit Very Likeable!

I paint from 8-11pm generally, with little breaks, I don’t watch sport or go out drinking, I find the excitement of starting and completing a piece enough to want to keep doing it over and over :) I have so much to learn too so that’s a great motivator :)
  18. Jimmyfingerz

I too am an unsociable person :cool:
    I think i just need to find a happy medium between work and doing art.
    Biggest issue in my life is work, my jobs hard and there is a fair amount of pressure on the two of us that do it so they rely on us heavily.
    I think i’ll be looking at a career change at some point so I can find a lot more personal time to do me and the things that make me tick.
    Until then I just need to suck it up and get too it whenever I can
    musicmacd likes this.
  19. Malky

Yes Paul, you're shite at this game, I often wish I was close enough to you to take the brush out of your hand and show you how it should be done........there you go, I can make stuff up too, lol
    JackEb, musicmacd and Jimmyfingerz like this.
  20. Jimmyfingerz

Haha
    Yeah he’s either a really really humble guy or the most sarcastic person i’ve ever come across in my life!!
    Malky likes this.