For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Working life

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Jimmyfingerz, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

Kilsyth, Glasgow, Scotland, UK, Planet Earth
    Look for a small village near you with a population of 3 and take the undertaker's job:thumbsup:
    HellBird, musicmacd and Jimmyfingerz like this.
  2. Jimmyfingerz

Jimmyfingerz Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

My luck i’d be the one to die first
    HellBird and musicmacd like this.
  3. RichardH

RichardH Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Years ago there used to be a woman comedian on radio that said one day " Your supposed to say something good about the death of your spouse. She said " He's dead -------- GOOD. lollollollollollollollol
  4. musicmacd

musicmacd The Createx Bandit Very Likeable!

Love it :)
    Jimmyfingerz likes this.
  5. beanpoleuk

beanpoleuk Elite Member! Elite Member! Artist of the Month! Very Likeable!

When I first took up airbrushing I used to travel the country with work all week so could only pick up the brush at weekends when everything else also need doing , so found it very frustrating and hampered my learning curve. Trying to keep everyone happy and find time to paint what difficult to say the least, but I have a very understanding family who also realised I needed something to relieve the stress of work. Fortunately I was then presented with the wonderful opportunity of early retirement with a nice company pension so I now have all the time in the world to organise my various hobbies, there is never a problem of 'what shall I paint' as I seem to get a regular stream of commission work so there is always a painting in the back of my mind ready to paint 'for me' when I get a break from the commission work.

I think the answer is to try and schedule some time for painting even if it is only an hour or so ...
    MarcosD and Jimmyfingerz like this.
  6. Jimmyfingerz

This is what I plan on doing. I’m back in the gym, off the beer and getting my mind right from next week while i’m off work.
    I’m going to try get focused and get my goals in check.
    Last night was a bit of a rant because i’m fed up of being tired but half of it is because i’m unhealthy and my sleep patterns are all over the place with work so I think i need a reality check.
    Get myself back fit and fighting then i won’t need as much sleep so i will have plenty more time to paint.
    I’d love to make money off airbrushing at some point in the future but for now its my escapism from the mundane and i’d like
    to keep it that way.
    To be fair although i didn’t paint last night I set my line drawing up for my next piece so i was still active in some way.

Without going into too much detail I have a problem with alcohol because of my sleep paterns so I think getting a handle on that would probably help me no end with motivation.
    With my work my sleep patterns are so out of quilter I struggle to sleep well without being restless and i’m one of these people where my minds always busy so i substitute it all with the devils drink.
    We all know what happens then but i’ll get a handle on it and then get some Mac level focus and make sure i push myself.
    beanpoleuk likes this.
  7. Jimmyfingerz

Really appreciate all your input and hearing your stories though people.
    Sort of given me a bit of a reality check that I am my own obstacle.
    musicmacd likes this.
  8. Jurien72

Jurien72 Have Airbrush - Will Travel!

mmhmm amen brother! I'm on my way home and I plan to exercise lifting airbrush shaped weights lol. Yeah, take in deep lungfuls of toxic-solvent laden oxygen! Fueled by plenty of coffee, ice water and Mt Dew!
    Jimmyfingerz likes this.
  9. Jurien72

No, your job is your obstacle. Money is your obstacle lol.
    Jimmyfingerz likes this.
  10. Jimmyfingerz

100% Jurien lol
  11. Jurien72

I'm in a worse boat than you. I've been on the road for 3 months. Which makes it hard to paint. Its not that you don't want to paint, you can't!
    Jimmyfingerz likes this.
  12. Jimmyfingerz

I couldn’t do the road life.
    I haven’t ever meet someone who works in haulage and enjoys the time away from home.
    Tip my hat off to you sir you have to be a certain level of human to want to be on the road for that long.

So how long do you get off in between?
  13. musicmacd

musicmacd The Createx Bandit Very Likeable!

We are all our own obstacles :)

The perfect sentence :)
    JackEb and Jimmyfingerz like this.
  14. Jurien72

by "certain level of human" I'm assuming you mean "certain level of crazy" ;)

I should be off about 10 days or so. I enjoy my job, I'm the sort of person who gets in a rut very quickly. At least doing this I don't know whats going to happen from day to day. I go bonkers at jobs where on Tuesdays at 10am we have a meeting- so on Tuesday of May 2045 Im gonna be in a meeting!!! Uggghhh!
    Jimmyfingerz likes this.
  15. Jimmyfingerz

I got enough life obstacles but i’m probably my worst lol
    musicmacd likes this.
  16. Jimmyfingerz

Someone who enjoys 3 months away from home is beyond crazy.
    No one likes meetings, i attend many many meetings and am the only one in there yawning his head off.
    I have a natural reflex of letting peole know i’m bored by yawning every two minutes.
  17. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

At least you are setting up your 'paint schedule' get into your paint 'space' every day, mapping out, setting up, cleaning up, whatever it needs doing in your paint space, just get in there.

Once your brain gets into the routine of being in 'paint space' you'll be planning what you are going to do during that time instead of yawning at your meetings.

This is exactly what I plan on doing as soon as I get my house painting space set up,( hopefully in the next couple of weeks)
    Jimmyfingerz likes this.
  18. Tocean

Tocean Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

For my self I wouldn't say that I haven't procrastinated over the years but saying someone that works an 8 hour work day that doesn't get to their hobbies is lazy is a bit of an oversight, it would entirely depend on what you do in that 8 hours. I don't want to come off as the hardest working person in the world here but I've had 20 some year olds work a half a day with me to tell me it's to hard and they can't do it.
    Plus working as a painter, being in a paint suit and wearing a respirator sweating to death, getting paint all over yourself, it can be hard to motivate yourself to go to a hot warehouse and put a respirator on and start working on your own stuff.
    I've hated that I've had to put a lot hobbies on hold over the years, but I was really sick of being a starving artist/musician, I've now freed some time up and hoping I can get back to hobbies that make me happy, I'm putting no pressure on myself, just having fun with it, airbrushing has freed me in lots of ways as I just start spraying with all intentions of screwing it up and throwing it in the garbage, I have pleasantly surprised myself, this has carried over into some of my other work.

Hopefully that wasn't to much wine/shine and cheese:D
    Joe T, Malky and Jimmyfingerz like this.
  19. Malky

Good luck with that "next couple of weeks" I've now been in this house for nearly 1.5 years and still haven't decided where my paint space actually is :eek: but I did buy some 5" x 7" clayboards today :thumbsup: and we all know what's 5" x 7" don't we?;)

I'm sick of waiting around for renovation work that was promised last September and I don't get kept up to date so im just going to get my kit out and paint like I just don't care:) if the buggers come to discuss a start date, they'll damn well start when I say they can:mad:

This will be the first time I've ever used clayboard so I got some to try out and if I like how it works (and I think I will) I'll start making my own like what Mr. Bean does:)
    beanpoleuk and RichardH like this.
  20. Malky

That's where your going wrong, you need to do what I do and yawn continuously.

And while you're on holiday, wear a walkman so you can't hear those damned chore requests, a successful airbrushing career rests entirely on being assertive and thinking way way out of the box:)
    RichardH and Jimmyfingerz like this.