Working with Edible Inks

B

bokkie13

So I've recently tried working with edible inks and am struggling with 2 things.

a) Reducer
  • I'm used to using a glycerine/glass cleaner/alcohol/water mix but I'm not sure how I can translate this into a "safe" mixture for the edible inks (was thinking glycerine/vodka/water but am not sure what can be added to replace the glass cleaner)
b) Cleaning
  • Aside from the vodka is there anything anybody would recommend I can clean with that's "safe"??

In my experience I use edible ink specific to airbrush made in Argentina , But I dont need to use any reducer , colors are ver transparent so you can get good concentrations in layers.
Ingredients include glycerin and alcohol , so you can use any of them (both must be edible kind) , but in my case was totally unnecessary .

This inks was the cheaper and better that I use since I paint , ZERO CLOGS and ABSOLUTLY ZERO tip dry , not once in 2 cakes , I was considering to use it in all my works , just don't do it because I don't now how long will last in paper

what size nozzle does the iwata have bokkie is it .22? ........ i dunno mate i suppose you are experiencing it first hand so are aware if its clogging or drying, but even with acrylic paint or ink you can still reduce with water so i can not see why it would be different with effectively what is food colouring based watercolours?? if you do experiencetip dry then a drop or 2 of glycerine sounds like a good idea....
as for cleaning i would just fire airbrush cleaner through it followed by a cup of water...... its not as if you are drinking it straight from the bottle so its gotta be safe enough

Thanks, do you remember the brand of the inks? I was gonna try search online...

In my experience I use edible ink specific to airbrush made in Argentina , But I dont need to use any reducer , colors are ver transparent so you can get good concentrations in layers.
Ingredients include glycerin and alcohol , so you can use any of them (both must be edible kind) , but in my case was totally unnecessary .

This inks was the cheaper and better that I use since I paint , ZERO CLOGS and ABSOLUTLY ZERO tip dry , not once in 2 cakes , I was considering to use it in all my works , just don't do it because I don't now how long will last in paper

Thanks, It has a 0.35... I haven't done much aside from fart around although I'm supposed to do a batch of roses over the next day or 2 and wanted to make sure I have everything necessary in the arsenal so I don't have to run out half way through

what size nozzle does the iwata have bokkie is it .22? ........ i dunno mate i suppose you are experiencing it first hand so are aware if its clogging or drying, but even with acrylic paint or ink you can still reduce with water so i can not see why it would be different with effectively what is food colouring based watercolours?? if you do experiencetip dry then a drop or 2 of glycerine sounds like a good idea....
as for cleaning i would just fire airbrush cleaner through it followed by a cup of water...... its not as if you are drinking it straight from the bottle so its gotta be safe enough

Thanks for the responses, I already have the Americolor inks and they seem to work pretty well (I had a little tip dry - but after reducing a 50/50 mix of vodka/water with a drop of glycerine all went well)... Will post pics once the cake's done

Back