Zavi here

ZAVI

Young Tutorling
Hi, I am Zavi, I have been airbrushing for 3 months now and I am struggling to make anything that looks great. I have a CSI 770 Micron and a Paasch Raptor with 4 different needles and nozzels. I am looking forward to learning from everyone here. I practice the basics daily,Dagger Strokes dots and shading.

Hi, I am Zavi, I have been airbrushing for 3 months now and I am struggling to make anything that looks great. I have a CSI 770 Micron and a Paasch Raptor with 4 different needles and nozzels. I am looking forward to learning from everyone here. I practice the basics daily,Dagger Strokes dots and shading.

welcome from Australia Zavi, where do you call home, we look forward to see some of your work, we like to see it all. The good, bad and the ugly :)

Welcome Home Zavi
The hardest thing to learn when first starting out is to Slow Down. The video you watch make airbrushing look fast and easy but remember they have been at it a long time. just take it slow and paint the shapes you see and let the painting take care of it's self. When you are first starting out you want to see it finished so you will tent to rush it and try to paint as fast as who's ever video you're watching is doing.
Learning control , paint reduction , Knowing how the airbrush should spray and at what air pressure you need to have your compressor set at for how the paint is reduced takes time and does not happen over night.
Pick one paint (I strongly suggest picking the paint you want to use at your end goal) so if fine art is your thing then I suggest Createx Illustration,
Models, skate boards Wicked colors are great.
Post up some of you paintings you have done so far it will help gives us a better understanding of where you are at.

Welcome aboard Zavi!

Don't worry Zavi, everyone has to start somewhere, and I think all of us go through exactly what you are. Also, 3 months is not a lot of time! So don't worry, you'll get there!

There is some sage advice that someone passed on to me when I was starting out. Maybe it will help you overcome the struggle.

Don't worry about the quality of your work. No matter how long you do it, your next piece will always be better than your last piece. Keep going and trying new things, and look back in a year and you'll be shocked at how far you've come.

Don't kill yourself with technical exercises. They are great to do for sure, but they can discourage you if that's all you do. Instead, make sure you take the time just to have fun, experiment, make a mess and generally throw paint around just for fun. If you don't worry about the result, but instead focus on finding ways to have fun you may find you learn a lot quicker.

Slow down. Learn to take the pressure down, both metaphorically and physically. Take the pressure down on your compressor so that you aren't moving as much paint at a time and take multiple passes to put down color, instead of trying to do it all at once. You can always add more paint, but you can't easily take away paint that you've already laid down. So thinner paint, lighter pressure, and take your time.

Finally, coloring books... one of the best things anyone ever told me was to go buy some fun kid's coloring books, pull out the sheets and practice coloring those with your airbrush. Way back when I started using an airbrush, I got a Superman coloring book, and learning to go slow and color that with my airbrush did more to help me learn than any number of classes or any other advice ever did. It also keeps you focused on fun, which is the biggest challenge any of us face.

I hope you fall in love with the airbrush like all of us did, and always feel free to share your progress, ask any questions or share your thoughts.

This is a really great group of incredibly supportive artists and craftsmen that enjoy spreading the love.

:)

Back