A couple of EFBEs

Wizard_Theron

Mac-Valve Maestro!
I recently acquired four brushes from the same source. My impression is they were loved items in someone’s collection and will now be loved by me. I missed out on the brush i most wanted from that collection but got these four, two of which were these EFBEs. I was worried i had got a bit carried away but all four turned out to be good purchases. None have any trace of paint in them at all and I suspect three of them were never actually used.

First a model A. The box did not promise much as it showed at least some moisture had got at it and it is made of chipboard. All the expense obviously went into the brush itself.
F3BD7A8F-4E50-4642-94E0-7B317213C72B.jpeg

And the brush itself is very good. The nickel had some tarnish all on one side from storage but with the right treatment it all came off and the nickel is perfectly beautiful and reflective.

5F13D38B-D296-4E1E-9277-E298541EC666.jpeg
EE342DD3-51B2-41BB-9836-2D0ED4D48BE2.jpeg

I’m unsure how to take the needle packing out (i expect @DaveG will be able to tell me) but I don’t think I need to take it out as judging by the pristine nozzle etc. it will be as it was when originally put together.

Haven’t put paint through it yet. Feels like it would be a crime.

I’ll post the other EFBE here tomorrow if I can.

Attachments

• 55CE64C1-2032-4A26-9AE6-36556B35CAC7.jpeg
    55CE64C1-2032-4A26-9AE6-36556B35CAC7.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 9
Nice score! They are interesting brushes, that have a character that is unique to them. Needle packing is often cork on these. They are held in with a normal slotted retaining screw. The difficult part is getting to it - I had to make a spanner to get the guts of the brush out. There is a slotted bushing inserted from the back that holds the trigger assembly in place, and it all has to come out.

Nice score! They are interesting brushes, that have a character that is unique to them. Needle packing is often cork on these. They are held in with a normal slotted retaining screw. The difficult part is getting to it - I had to make a spanner to get the guts of the brush out. There is a slotted bushing inserted from the back that holds the trigger assembly in place, and it all has to come out.
Thanks Dave. I love the character you refer to. They obviously had a strong believe in their own unique design and implemented it well.

Yeah, I couldn’t see how to get that bushing out. Making a specific tool for it is quite a ways beyond me currently so hopefully I won’t have to replace the seal any time soon!

The seal on the valve (not pictured) does seem to be cork. The 0.15 nozzle is a floating nozzle but the head has a thread so they obviously had a screw in system originally. Paperwork says double action. The other EFBE is apparently single action, though I’m not sure what either really means yet in the case of this brand.

Thanks Dave. I love the character you refer to. They obviously had a strong believe in their own unique design and implemented it well.

Yeah, I couldn’t see how to get that bushing out. Making a specific tool for it is quite a ways beyond me currently so hopefully I won’t have to replace the seal any time soon!

The seal on the valve (not pictured) does seem to be cork. The 0.15 nozzle is a floating nozzle but the head has a thread so they obviously had a screw in system originally. Paperwork says double action. The other EFBE is apparently single action, though I’m not sure what either really means yet in the case of this brand.
The trigger post looks like the fixed double action, vs the true double action Efbe offered. Yes, they use to have a nozzle post with a screw in nozzle. Someone mentioned the conversion to the drop in one was supposed to work on all of them. I am not sure if there is a different air cap, or not, as I have not attempted the conversion myself. I have both, screw in and drop in nozzle styles.

Here's a comparison - the brush at the bottom has the traditional Efbe fixed double action (pull back only, no pressing down), while the one just above it (to the left) has the normal double action trigger (press down, then pull back). Note the difference in the post width between them.
efbes2.jpg

The trigger post looks like the fixed double action, vs the true double action Efbe offered. Yes, they use to have a nozzle post with a screw in nozzle. Someone mentioned the conversion to the drop in one was supposed to work on all of them. I am not sure if there is a different air cap, or not, as I have not attempted the conversion myself. I have both, screw in and drop in nozzle styles.
Fixed double action is what I’m hoping it means really so that sounds promising.

It seems a great quality bush, I’ll have to see to the case eventually, as the brush deserves it. The only other slightly cheap-feeling element of these brushes is the plastic handles, not that there ia anything poor quality about it as such (i’m being a plastic snob). I’ve seen the custom handle you made for one of yours (Anyone who hasn’t should go and have a look at that amazing thread).

Fixed double action is what I’m hoping it means really so that sounds promising.

It seems a great quality bush, I’ll have to see to the case eventually, as the brush deserves it. The only other slightly cheap-feeling element of these brushes is the plastic handles, not that there ia anything poor quality about it as such (i’m being a plastic snob). I’ve seen the custom handle you made for one of yours (Anyone who hasn’t should go and have a look at that amazing thread).
I am pretty sure it is the same brush at the bottom of the photo I posted. That whole thing was a rescue mission. It had been dropped, and stepped on at some point. The cup was broken off, and squished into a triangular shape. It was then subsequently JB welded back onto the brush. I had to figure out how to make it round again, and then re-solder it to the brush. It turned out pretty good - quite happy with it. Even better, the brush works really nicely. All f that is why I had to remove the needle packing/make a tool. I knew it was gonna get heated up when I soldered the cup back on. To get the trigger out, you have to remove the top button, and push it out the back. It mounts in a sleeve that gets held in by a threaded collar. It all winds up being a method of spacing the trigger to allow it to work with the valve pin.

I am pretty sure it is the same brush at the bottom of the photo I posted. That whole thing was a rescue mission. It had been dropped, and stepped on at some point. The cup was broken off, and squished into a triangular shape. It was then subsequently JB welded back onto the brush. I had to figure out how to make it round again, and then re-solder it to the brush. It turned out pretty good - quite happy with it. Even better, the brush works really nicely. All f that is why I had to remove the needle packing/make a tool. I knew it was gonna get heated up when I soldered the cup back on. To get the trigger out, you have to remove the top button, and push it out the back. It mounts in a sleeve that gets held in by a threaded collar. It all winds up being a method of spacing the trigger to allow it to work with the valve pin.

No one would know the bad state of that brush when you started Dave, you clearly did an incredible job bringing that brush back to life.

And here is the second EFBE, which puts a smile on my face. A gorgeous CI hinged. 0.3 double action, according to the paperwork, though it has the same trigger post type as the single action (actually thought to be a fixed double action) brush above. I’ll have to put water through them at some point to verify. This brush cost me the most out of the four. Same problem with the case which will one day be seen to. Tarnish on the brush from storage has been dealt with. It’s clear the brush has never seen paint.
92DF474B-F959-44C5-89F9-0B77DF0CA6B5.jpeg
DD68A781-0367-4E60-8C0E-63CCECFD7340.jpeg
4C6A43EA-5B20-49D0-B0AD-9518C0B2474A.jpeg

Gorgeous - wonderful score! I have a pair of these, and they are simply beautiful. I made an adapter for the side port which allows for the use of Iwata cups with one of them. They feel; amazing in hand. It is funny how something that is made like everything else, can somehow still feel so different.

And here is the second EFBE, which puts a smile on my face. A gorgeous CI hinged. 0.3 double action, according to the paperwork, though it has the same trigger post type as the single action (actually thought to be a fixed double action) brush above. I’ll have to put water through them at some point to verify. This brush cost me the most out of the four. Same problem with the case which will one day be seen to. Tarnish on the brush from storage has been dealt with. It’s clear the brush has never seen paint.
View attachment 87912
View attachment 87913
View attachment 87914
It's a great buy. Looks like it came to you from France ;)

Was eyeing this particular airbrush on Ebay, and corresponded with the seller. I can congratulate you on owning a copy that Curtis Seng-Gye Tombs probably painted with, or perhaps he didn't have time to paint with it ;)

Was eyeing this particular airbrush on Ebay, and corresponded with the seller. I can congratulate you on owning a copy that Curtis Seng-Gye Tombs probably painted with, or perhaps he didn't have time to paint with it ;)
Well, I spoke with the seller who was really nice but I didn’t ask who exactly had owned the brushes previously. I’m pleased to know. What more can you tell me about Curtis Seng-Gye Tombs?

One of the brushes, which I’ve not posted yet, although also very clean, does have some signs of use. So likely he used at least that one to paint with. :)

Back